Need Help! Tin Whistle Recommendation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Need Help! Tin Whistle Recommendation

Post by pancelticpiper »

To me the "most traditional" sound and playability comes from a really good vintage Generation.

The 2nd octave is amazingly pure and sweet and nimble and easy, yet the low octave isn't wimpy, but full and round (but not loud) with a certain interesting tone colour.

Sindts are very close to attaining this which is why they're so popular.

But, a youngster just won in Ireland with a Freeman Bluebird D, so you couldn't go wrong with that!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

A youngster also won the North West regional Fleadh,in England yesterday playing a MCMANUS blackwood,and has every chance of winning the all Britain in about a month.

Its that age old quote "its horses for courses"
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Its that age old quote "its horses for courses"
Well that's true, it seems. On the other hand, it is enriching to me to hear about different experiences people have with different whistles. My impression is, that there are not a few members of this forum who share an affinity for inexpensive whistles, though they have had high-end whistles too.

What I also learned is, that there are different whistles for different purposes. Though I must say, that my decision goes into the direction of a Hans Bracker or Carbony Pipe Makers Union (they have a new high D with a bit reduces loudness) or maybe the Rover, I will try to save up for a Freeman Blackbird as well - now I know that whistles are social creatures.

Nevertheless the limiting factor of the best whistle available is me. I'm deeply distressed by the speed that some advanced players produce. I'm just about trying to do some proper long rolls :boggle: Just telling me that speed isn't everything.

It's a long way to Tipperary....
socar52

Post by socar52 »

Speed is not everything... and in itself is not a requirement for making music sound nice. Being able to play slow is critical to learning to control the instrument, improving your timing, and learning tunes. Best to work at that before trying to speed up too much.
Playing steady and "up to speed" is the goal to work towards and it's the key to successfully playing at the tempo of a dance or a session of more experienced players. If you work at it diligently you'll find yourself improving before you know it, and you'll just keep getting better and better.
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Best to work at that before trying to speed up too much.
That's what I think is a general recommendation, no matter what kind of instrument you learn. Correct!

As I informed myself now about the costs of importing a whistle from a maker in the US oder Canada, I give up thinking of an O'Brien or a Burke. I think it will be a better Idea to visit the german whistle dealer and fall back on what he's got in his shop. I could choose between Dixons, Parks, Carbonys and even Sweethearts and I think this is not a bad variety.

Ordering a Hans Bracker would be an alternative though. But I have to find out how much the additional costs would be then.

That reduces the amount of attractive whistles, but this must not be a disadvantage because otherwise I probably would go crazy as I cannot make a decision.

WHOAD should be included into the International Classification of Deseases.
megapop

Post by megapop »

If I get you right you're looking for something more "special" than the usual cheapies...? However, Walton's whistles are rather quiet with a particularly soft 2nd octave IMO. The sound is breathier, less pure than many other whistles... you could call it "traditional" I suppose. Cheap enough to buy one (or two) and have a try anyway. (Take the standard bore -- the "mellow" model has a wider bore which actually makes it louder.)

PS: In case you don't know, you can buy them here... http://www.folkshop.de/page4.html
return null;
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It may sound ironic, but I think that rolls actually make it easier to play reels faster, in that you're parking on a note rather than frenetically jumping all over the place.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

If I get you right you're looking for something more "special" than the usual cheapies...?
Yes, that's right. I tried a standard Walton and a Generation with blue head last year in a music shop and they were absolutely not what I was looking for. Hardly in tune with theirselves, squeaky and tinny. Sorry, I don't want to affront anyone whose favourites these are but I didn't like them.

I once was amazed by a whistle that I guess was an O'Riordan. I would describe this as my sound ideal together with the whistles from John Sindt. But as there are none to find I have to look for alternatives. If I now play f.e. the second part of Haste to the wedding, the upper A and B notes are ear-bleeding shrill on my whistle, so it has the effect that I put the whistle down instead of stick to practicing and go on.

I love love love irish and scottish music but I want to make it sound well.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It wouldn't harm at this point of the discussion that the player is a contributing factor in all of this. Breathcontrol, control over the high notes, pitch control etc all have a bearing on the resulting sound. The whistle is not a push button instrument.
My brain hurts

Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Yes, I definitely agree. But I worked hard on putting out beautiful tones out of my Dixon and would say I managed this task well. It's just highest notes that really bother me and IMHO this is due to the whistle. I mean, there evidently are differences between whistles and I'm just looking for something, whith which I have a bit less problems and which supports me in my passion for playing.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Freckle Girl

If you buy in the EU then the only extra cost over the cost of the instrument is the postage, there are no import duty charges or extra value added tax to pay.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

THANK YOU Big Davy !!! This is a helpful information for me. This opens the door at least to the Hans Bracker, Bleazey, Killarney or Freeman Blackbird. But which one to choose?

So I have to hurry, as long as Great Britain is part of the EU (just what I read in the papers).
megapop

Post by megapop »

Freckle Girl wrote:Hardly in tune with theirselves
Really? As Mr. Gumby pointed out, this might well be due to a lack of breath control. Yes there are instances where one note or the other may be a bit out of tune (where the according hole has to be taped or something), but your statement seems a bit OTT to me.
Freckle Girl wrote:squeaky
If you mean that they're overblowing to easily, well that's partly because they have a narrower bore than your Dixon trad. A wider bore makes a whistle more forgiving, but ceteris paribus it'll inevitably be louder as well and require more push -- especially in the 2nd octave. And a quiet upper end will always make the low end more fragile, regardless of the bore.
Freckle Girl wrote:and tinny.
It's called tin whistle after all. :) But again, a full-bodied timbre with a sweet, pleasant upper end is kind of the holy grail of whistle making.
return null;
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

For sure there are many whistles, both cheap and expensive, with a shrill or loud or difficult High B. Especially on Low D's that's the one note that will often be that way.

But a good Generation, or Feadog, or Sindt, or Killarney, or what have you will have a very sweet easy High B.

Different people want different things. Some want the maximum volume in the low octave, some want a gritty sound, and so on. In High D's what I want is an extremely easy sweet pure nimble 2nd octave, and I'm willing to trade off power in the low range to get it.

In general, in my experience, the High D whistles with the easiest high notes are also the easiest for the newbie to overblow, hence the squeaks.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

I,like many others here have a wide and varied arsenal of whistles each has its own special function to specific tunes.
But we all have our die hard, never fail ,go to,favorite,should it be £3 or £300 it doesnt matter.What matters is that YOU LIKE IT.

On the subject of speed,jigs and reels are dances and should be played at a tempo which allows this.
These speed merchants with their finger gymnastics and lunguistics should stay in the circus..............LOL