Pearson, Potter, Hawkes & Son in February auctions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Re: Pearson, Potter, Hawkes & Son in February auctions

Post by dunnp »

Here is a photo I have on hand. It is a bit darker and less brilliant looking now:

I think this is an old photo possibly from its first sale.....
I have newer photos but am a bit tied up tonight.
TWO TOOTS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Many Thanks Patrick, What a great looking flute. The acid stain really sets the boxwood off a treat !
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

That's a very nice looking Monzani Patrick. Boxwood Monzanis are quite rare, I remember reading somewhere that Monzani made more flutes out of ivory than boxwood. The second feature that stands out for me is the keys, I haven't seen another Monzani with those circular flat disks to hold the pads. Could you tell me if these disks have the screw fittings to secure the pads in place?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hello,
No screws on the keys just flat round disks.
I think the boxwood is naturally figured like that. If you wanted to replicate it with acid staining you could but from what I've seen acid staining results in a more uniform pattern than this figured boxwood has. I could be wrong though. See the Hubbert pipes in the uilleann pictures thread on the uilleann board to see some acid stained wood.
All the best,
Pat
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

As far as I'm aware, you do not get much if any in the way of natural figuring with Box, hence the acid stain to create that illusion. Joseph has a part Firth Hall & Pond 8 key ( we are still waiting patiently for a matching head to turn up ) which is very similar. I suppose the randomness or uniformity of patterned effect will be determined when applied. Will post you a photo later. The only other example I have which looks anything like this is the naturally ( I think ) figured Maple found on a Ralph Sweet flute. I wonder if this was the type of wood they were originally trying to emulate ?
Owen.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

TWO TOOTS wrote:Steampacket wrote -
" Yes indeed. As regards the Strat and Les Paul designs which dominate the electric guitar market, the magnificent musician, St. Vincent has designed a guitar that has a quite different look": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixx0lSfMJ1c
I wish Annie every success with her new design, and it is not too radical in in the choice of constructional materials, and component parts to be dismissed out of hand. In other words, it has not departed too much from the accepted template to be seriously at risk.
As history shows, popular opinion does not always favour the brave. I remember seeing the Parker Fly for the first time, with its carbon fibre body and Sci -Fi aura, and thinking Wow! This must have been similar to the feeling punters had in the early fifties when confronted with the first Stratocaster. It turned out that they had to ditch nearly every single aspect that made it unique, before the buying public would play along.[/quote]

OK, just as OFF-TOPIC: The Gittler titanium bass (based on the Gittler Guitar)

and shown at NAMM this year, the Gittler Bass. One of these is not at all like the others.

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Here you can see some naturally occurring figured boxwood flutes from Casey:
http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/detail_ ... oxwood.php

It's not all that uncommon to find highly figured antique boxwood flutes:
http://www.antiqueflutes.com/product.php?id=957

All the flute folk I've talked to about this flute and other flutes like it suggest it is natural.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

dunnp wrote; "No screws on the keys just flat round disks."

Thank you for taking the trouble to check for me Patrick. It's interesting that this patented feature is not present on your flute.
Last edited by Uni Flute on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Thank you for taking the trouble to check for me Thomas. It's interesting that this patented feature is not present on your flute." Uni flute

Uni Flute it wasn't me, it was Pat (dunnp)

at NAMM this year, the Gittler Bass. One of these is not at all like the others." Kkrell

Now that's too weird for me :o . I still prefer the traditional Fender Precision bass.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

kkrell wrote:One of these is not at all like the others.
You mean only one has six strings?? :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Thanks Patrick for the updates and examples regarding the figuring on Boxwood. I'm always open to suggestion. It would be really handy if we could age one of Casey's flutes a mere two Centuries just to be sure !
I have to agree with you kkrell with the " Skeletal Bass. " It manages a brilliant impression of an old outdoor analogue TV. aerial !!
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

I have to admit, I'd also hate to be holding it and either trip or fall somehow -- instant sucking chest wound. :shock:

I think it would also catch on your clothing ...
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Just to concur Patrick, I have just compared the Firth Hall & Pond body with the William Hall head that I'm currently using on it from another flute. And, as you pointed out, the former has a more natural uniformly arranged figuring, and the latter acid stained head, a more random approach ( unnatural if you like ) in its application. Thanks again for drawing my attention to the difference. I live and learn - Owen.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hello Uni Flute,
I think the patent 'floating' keys were a later Monzani thing. I have seen one other Monzani with the small circle keys, it was cocus and ivory and about the same age. I've only ever seen one more boxwood Monzani. It was much later with fancy rings. If my memory is correct.
All the best,
Pat
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello Patrick, I do apologize to you and Thomas for getting you both mixed up. It seems like these small circular keys are a rare feature with Monzani flutes. You are right about the floating keys Patrick, they are usually found on the later instruments like mine. My Dad's Monzani from the Dover Street address has screws under the square key plates, with one retaining nut surviving. They seem like a precursor to the floating keys of the later instruments. The only other boxwood Monzani I have come across on the internet is this one with two heads and ivory bands; http://www.brightcecilia.com/forum/show ... php?t=2245 (one head joint has a tuning slide)