Our instruments are endangered !!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Our instruments are endangered !!

Post by pancelticpiper »

I spent a number of years dabbling in Andean music, where most of the instruments (Kenas and Sikus) are made out of cane.

They seem to get along fine with no tuning slides.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the adjustments you have to be able to make at a trad session. I wonder what's different about Andean ensembles.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote: I wonder what's different about Andean ensembles.
Well, for one thing, they're mostly in South America. :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walked right into that one... :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cholbroo17
Tell us something.: My name is Chris I have been playing whistles for about 13 years. For a long time I had stopped playing but now am getting back into it pretty heavily.
Thanks
Chris

Post by Cholbroo17 »

So I have a question can I send a whistle made of Blackwood and it get there or what should I do to make sure I can send it to the person I want to send this whistle to.
Chris
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Cholbroo17 wrote:So I have a question can I send a whistle made of Blackwood and it get there or what should I do to make sure I can send it to the person I want to send this whistle to.
Chris
If shipping from country to country, then you need a single-use export permit from your country, and have to meet the requirements for import into the destination country. For one thing, this involves being able to prove that the wood used in the instrument was harvested legally (or pre-CITES) and that use was documented properly. Assuming legally used, then pay the appropriate fee for the permit (I think from the U.S. it's approx. $75 for a single-use permit). As you can see, it's going to be both restrictive and costly to transfer instruments across borders, except for personal instruments being hand-carried.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

kkrell wrote:....this involves being able to prove that the wood used in the instrument was harvested legally (or pre-CITES) and that use was documented properly. Assuming legally used, then pay the appropriate fee for the permit (I think from the U.S. it's approx. $75 for a single-use permit). As you can see, it's going to be both restrictive and costly to transfer instruments across borders, except for personal instruments being hand-carried.
At some point it will become cheaper to travel from the US to Ireland for repairs than to ship.... Aer Lingus may be behind all this. :really:

Best wishes,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: I wonder what's different about Andean ensembles.
They play in tune :poke:

Yes I'm joking and being a smart aleck... but there's a kernel of truth I think.

I've owned a couple dozen Bolivian quenas and panpipes of various sizes and they've all played in tune to A=440 as they came as best I can recall.

That combined with the considerable pitch variation you can get with your embouchure, and the fact that they don't have to play with instruments that might be in nonstandard pitches (like uilleann pipes) means no tuning slides are necessary.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

kkrell wrote: If shipping from country to country, then you need a single-use export permit from your country, and have to meet the requirements for import into the destination country. For one thing, this involves being able to prove that the wood used in the instrument was harvested legally (or pre-CITES) and that use was documented properly. Assuming legally used, then pay the appropriate fee for the permit.
I just sent a couple bagpipe parts to a maker in Canada to have repaired. He got a CITES permit for them in order to ship them back to me legally. He charged me $40.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

pancelticpiper wrote:
kkrell wrote: If shipping from country to country, then you need a single-use export permit from your country, and have to meet the requirements for import into the destination country. For one thing, this involves being able to prove that the wood used in the instrument was harvested legally (or pre-CITES) and that use was documented properly. Assuming legally used, then pay the appropriate fee for the permit.
I just sent a couple bagpipe parts to a maker in Canada to have repaired. He got a CITES permit for them in order to ship them back to me legally. He charged me $40.
As discussed in another thread, permit costs for instrument makers are different, and they have lower cost per unit permits after their main registration.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Right.

Casey Burns spells it all out here (for US makers shipping overseas)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103957

In short, a maker purchases a $200 "master file" and then can issue "single use" permits for $5 each.

Of course it's up to each maker how he chooses to distribute these expenses amongst his clients, work them into his overall pricing, chalk it up to the price of doing business, or what have you. (As if being a maker isn't already complicated and expensive enough.)

I have no idea what the expenses entailed by Canadian makers are.

The implication is, though, that one can travel with such instruments as a "personal item" without CITES, which is good news. Evidently ivory is in a more restricted category. I know several Highland pipers who have got CITES for their ivory mounted pipes.

Casey mentions the possibility of using Mopane/Mopani which evidently is still OK for overseas customers. I know several Highland pipemakers use it.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I hunted about the Canadian government web pages regarding CITES permits, http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?l ... 7E56589B-1, and found no indication that there was any fee required for an export permit. Who would have guessed.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Tunborough wrote:I hunted about the Canadian government web pages regarding CITES permits, http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?l ... 7E56589B-1, and found no indication that there was any fee required for an export permit. Who would have guessed.
Does the USA require CITES and fees for imports? Maybe that's what Canadian makers face when shipping to the USA.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Tunborough wrote:I hunted about the Canadian government web pages regarding CITES permits, http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?l ... 7E56589B-1, and found no indication that there was any fee required for an export permit. Who would have guessed.
http://www.ec.gc.ca/CITES/default.asp?l ... 2-1#_01_15

"How much does a CITES permit cost?

CITES permits are available free of charge. If you would prefer your CITES permit to be sent to you by courier instead of by regular mail, you will be responsible for the additional cost."

However, you do have to provide the import permit for the receiving nation.

The info above is "Date modified: 2015-07-31" , so it doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation fully.

I did find the Canadian export applications and instructions on their website, but they do indicate that forms are being revised.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?l ... 05BFDC16-1
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

kkrell wrote:
Cholbroo17 wrote:So I have a question can I send a whistle made of Blackwood and it get there or what should I do to make sure I can send it to the person I want to send this whistle to.
Chris
If shipping from country to country, then you need a single-use export permit from your country, and have to meet the requirements for import into the destination country. For one thing, this involves being able to prove that the wood used in the instrument was harvested legally (or pre-CITES) and that use was documented properly. Assuming legally used, then pay the appropriate fee for the permit (I think from the U.S. it's approx. $75 for a single-use permit). As you can see, it's going to be both restrictive and costly to transfer instruments across borders, except for personal instruments being hand-carried.
Can't you just stick it in a box and write "musical instrument" or "flute" or something of that sort on the little green customs form? I've never had any problem with getting old instruments from the UK or Europe before.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373