Von Huene Video Workshop Tour

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreenWood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Re: Von Huene Video Workshop Tour

Post by GreenWood »

@Geoffrey

Censored no, more like walking alongside the difficulty of understanding another had with my text. At worse trying to figure out how someone could have such an analytical approach . Our family business at one point was media outlet in the middle-east, I know censorship well enough not to react to anything but law.

"A bit of reductio ad absurdum, suggesting that by my not understanding you, that I am somehow saying you shouldn't be allowed to speak English or express humor"

A quip open to be taken as a taunt, but equally a self reassuring humble observation given that just about everything in speech is questioned and scrutinised nowadays ;-) .

You want to take a sentence out to understand the text ??? It also relates to the last part of the text , but whatever suits I suppose.

kkrell, I'm well aware that Robert Burns was Scottish, though he did write in English (or lowland or broad Scots if you prefer the difference). A point of including it (apart from the fact that I liked to share it), was that the syntax is acceptable and understandable even though it isn't standard prose (for being a poem). It isn't to compare my own text with his even, only to offer that point.

And yeah mate, I'm a Brit. Apart from living many years in UK and my family all being British (except for one grandparent), I have also lived in several countries and visited many more, also speak three or four languages. I don't say that to impress because it isn't (impressive) to me, just 'normal'. However, if you're wondering why I'm not speaking Queen's English, it's because I just could not be bothered to think back into that frame, and it would probably stand out "like a sore thumb" here ... I used to have a hard accent from Derbs at one point and had it "corrected" by school friends... there's no winning as far as all that is concerned and everyone is more right than the next.

This all reminded me of the "Scottish Elevator - Voice Recognition - ELEVEN !" clip, but won't link it.

Anyway, I leave it to go back to OP because it wouldn't be fair to keep bumping it up to top of queue ;-) .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

GreenWood wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 pmThis all reminded me of the "Scottish Elevator - Voice Recognition - ELEVEN !" clip, but won't link it.
Ah, that one makes me bust a gut every time.

Now can we all drop this and get on with speculating about von Huene's woodpile? Sheesh. The Mods haven't smitten a good smiting in quite a long while, but the thunderbolts are getting itchy. Squabbling does that to them.
Geoffrey Ellis wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:53 pmI had a friend help me at one point boring out some stock, but I had him practicing on junk wood first, just to get the hang of it.
That sounds like a rollicking weekend. I trust the beer was for after.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

GreenWood wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 pm I'm well aware that Robert Burns was Scottish, though he did write in English (or lowland or broad Scots if you prefer the difference).
He wrote in both Scots and English, sometimes even in the same poem (e.g. the 'But pleasures are like poppies spread' bit in English in Tam o' Shanter). But you're surely not suggesting that Scots is English?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm But you're surely not suggesting that Scots is English?
Saw that one coming ... I'm surprised it took Peter so long. :wink:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician