OT: So, what's with all the OT?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

Didn't we all go over this not that long ago? :boggle: Ah well, at any rate I still like the board pretty well as it is.

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Acoustic guitar magazine's discussion forum had a "Talk Talk Talk" branch that let posters discuss off topic topics at will, as long as everyone minded their manners. And anything that "snuck" into the guitar discussion that was off topics was, well . . . locked out or moved to the off topic board. The "Talk Talk Talk" has since moved to it's own site and added new discussion topics. I don't post much, usually lurk . . . but there are some great people there and very funny conversations.
I think there is more activity in the off topic board than the on topic ones, which get a little stagnent after a day or two.
Chiff and Fipple whistle board is very fluid, changing directions many times a day, always interesting and visited by very polite people. I'm not sure if I'd want that to change.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
coyotebanjo

Post by coyotebanjo »

One of the things that kept me away from Celtic music (and a few other things as well) for a long time is the "purists". Somehow, they always manage to make it stuffy and boring for everybody else.
The "purists", as you call them, don't even call it "Celtic music": that's a label made up by record retailers and radio DJs.

The claim that they "make it stuffy and boring" is usually not in fact made by "everybody else". It's usually made, in this music and by my observation, by those who haven't worked enough at the music.

The "purists," as you call them, tend to be the people who've made the music what it is--have, in fact, made it the traditional music which some others want to play and call "Celtic."
chris smith
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

susnfx wrote:It's been happening for quite awhile now, and in case it hasn't been noticed, a lot of long-time board members have basically quit posting or at least only post occasionally now. It's discouraging, but I for one am hopeful it's just a phase and and the discourse will get back onto whistles before long.

Susan
I apologise.
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

See my accounting of this here:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=14802
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

coyotebanjo wrote:
One of the things that kept me away from Celtic music (and a few other things as well) for a long time is the "purists". Somehow, they always manage to make it stuffy and boring for everybody else.
The "purists", as you call them, don't even call it "Celtic music": that's a label made up by record retailers and radio DJs.
Sorry, but you just illustrated my point. I was referring to the genre, not limiting it to Irish Trad. If this board was limited to Irish trad, I hadn't noticed, sorry... That I know of, the whistle is being used in music coming from Ireland, Scotland, France... When I took a workshop with Tony McManus last spring, he used the term Celtic, so that's good enough for me.
coyotebanjo wrote:The claim that they "make it stuffy and boring" is usually not in fact made by "everybody else". It's usually made, in this music and by my observation, by those who haven't worked enough at the music.
Your attitude is not limited to "this music". It unfortunately can be found in music in general. Can be found in classical and jazz. The notion that one's dedication to a musical style is determined by the ability to play it is not only elitist, but it also drives people away from it.
coyotebanjo wrote:The "purists," as you call them, tend to be the people who've made the music what it is--have, in fact, made it the traditional music which some others want to play and call "Celtic."
Your opinion. Quite a limited one, but yours, so I won't argue it. But you've just made this debate stuffy and boring.
:)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My $0.02 - This board is a focal point for whistlers. Whistlers do not *only* think and talk about whistles and whistling, though they do tend to think and talk with reference to whistles and whistling.

The fact that they enjoy discussing other topics with other whistlers is plus, not a minus.

I know where to go for whistling info, and where to post whistling questions. I also know where to go for some inteligent, and witty discussion of everything from tongue in cheek polls to serious life-is-interfering-with-my-whistling problems.

I, for one, vote that people who post OT, simply continue to lable those posts OT and we continue to share what we have - info, interests, insights, inanities and the ilk.

It's not like there is no room for serious whistle posts, is it? Realy... there is more to life than *just* whistle posts... well... at least I think... heck, I pray that there is.

Peace, and a large dose of 'don't take it *too* seriously folks' while she whistles off into the distance to practice
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cj

Post by cj »

I'm with anniemcu. This is an intelligent, civil bunch of folks, and I've enjoyed this board, both on and off-topic, more than any other.

And if folks don't wish to participate in an OT discussion, they have the choice not to do so.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Walden wrote:
susnfx wrote:It's been happening for quite awhile now, and in case it hasn't been noticed, a lot of long-time board members have basically quit posting or at least only post occasionally now. It's discouraging, but I for one am hopeful it's just a phase and and the discourse will get back onto whistles before long.

Susan
I apologise.
I'm confused, Waldo. Are you apologising for not posting as much as you used to?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Walden wrote:

Susan
I apologise.
I'm confused, Waldo. Are you apologising for not posting as much as you used to?
I apologise for ever what I done that got people in such a fit.
Reasonable person
Walden
brownja

Post by brownja »

I'm a mean, anti-social, misanthropic kinda guy.
All this OT stiff is certainly driving me away from the board.
But maybe that's a good thing...for the rest of you.

Regards,
jb