Feadog

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I just looked at the pictures posted above. There is definately a new line of Feadogs. Mark 4 we'll call it. The head looks nothing like the old heads and much more like a Generation, but made of much better plastic. I tried some Mark 3s and thought they were pretty crap, but the Mark 4, as I mentioned in my previous post, is superb.

Chris
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Can you post a picture, Chris?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

The new Pro is on the right and the new regular Feadog in brass on the right.

The company sent me a handful of Feadogs recently, along with the Pro. I played them for a couple of weeks. On all of them, I found the second octave raspy and unstable.

Chris is a better player than I am, by a long shot. (No sarcasm here.) So, I'm tempted to defer to his skills, but I just don't get it.

Also, I can't see a difference between this new mouthpiece and the Mark III.

Dale
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

That does look like a normal Mark III mouthpiece. I wonder if there's been a mixup and the whistle they've sent isn't the right one? It sounds like what Chris has is different from what you have.

Best wishes,
Jerry
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I got feadogs a few months ago. Green heads on brass bodies, and a black head on a green body. The M3. I couldn't tell any difference.
The mouthpiece definitly does show promise. One of them tweaked up to be my best cheap whistle by far, but it didn't come out of the box that way.
I've tried the brass and nickle in C too. Not much difference.
They tweak up nice, but seem to be a little trickier than tweaking gens. That could just be me though. One will come up very pure, while the next will come up with chiff. I like a pure sound with a good chiff. I really don't care for rasp or growl much.
I still say they should be able to come up with a consitantly good mouthpiece right out of the box. Oak comes pretty close to it. But they charge a bit more for thier product. Feadog may feel that they can't. Supposidly most whistles sold are sold as toys or souvenieers,and not actually played, so that may be a valid reason. Quality control does cost money.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

DaleWisely wrote:Image

Dale,

Is that a crack I see forming in the green/brass one? If so, I should probably write Paul and let him know. A couple of people have mentioned a crack forming in the mouthpiece after the fact. They may have some defect in the mold
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Many plastic whistleheads have a subtle line along the length of the top of the casting. This isn't a defect. I believe it is where the molten plastic meets from the sides as it fills up the mold during the casting process.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wanderer wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Image

Dale,

Is that a crack I see forming in the green/brass one? If so, I should probably write Paul and let him know. A couple of people have mentioned a crack forming in the mouthpiece after the fact. They may have some defect in the mold
No, there's no crack forming there. It's a artifact.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have two Mark III Feadog whistles.

The first was terrible...you couldn't play in the upper register without shrieking, and the second-octave G was just plain impossible to hit. It wouldn't play it.

I tweaked this whistle, and it now plays decently, but it took a lot of tweaking to get it there.

The second, bought a couple of years ago now, was physically identical, but plays wonderfully. I have never tweaked it and never will: it would only mess it up.

It's got a pure tone with lots of chiff popping in between notes, good pitch stability, is not shrill on the upper end, and is almost as loud as a Susato but with a much easier-to-control second octave.

Here's what it sounds like, on an odd little tune I learned from our sessions, "Salmon Tails Up the River":

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/salmon_feadog.mp3

The only thing about this whistle is that, like an Oak, you have to warm it or play it for a couple of minutes before it sounds its best.

From my own experiences and from what I've read on the boards, I've come to wonder if like some other inexpensive whistle companies, there are quality control issues...

--James
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Come to think of it, I get a new Feadog for Christmas, from a relative who doesn't know what I have in my collection, and it's no different from the one I got 3 years ago...both are excellent.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

From the official Feadóg web site: https://www.feadog.ie/aboutus.htm
  • "From there we went on to develop and produce our Mk.II Feadóg
    which brought us through the next ten years. But still striving for
    improvement, we decided to invest heavily in further development of the
    instrument. Much thought, research and testing took place over a lengthy
    period of time in collaboration with professional musicians. In late 2001
    we launched the Mk.III Feadóg Whistle. This has been a great success
    and the Feadóg whistle is now enjoyed the world over by everyone from
    young children to professional musicians. We continue to invest in R & D
    to further expand the Feadóg range.

2003 saw the 25th anniversary of Feadóg Teoranta. We can now look
    back and celebrate a quarter of a century of bringing music to millions.
    But we will also be looking forward to the future, to bring you new Feadóg
    products and endeavouring to produce a Feadóg Original Irish Whistle
    which is better still, whilst maintaining that same great level of
    affordability. You can follow our progress by checking this web-site
    for product information."
Pictures of Feadóg products at: https://www.feadog.ie/buy.asp

RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The crack I mentioned started out as a mold line as jerry said but after a few months it cracked all the way through on that line. As I said a little super glue made a nice repair that has lasted for a long time. It plays nicely and is one of the whistles that I turn to from time to time.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Paul at Feadog sent me a new Feadog Pro and regular Feadog Mk III, last week. I am impressed. The pro is basically an oak-style thick barrell with Mk III head, I think, but it really works. Give the whistle more body, and a bit more punch.

The Feadog sound is there, that sweetness tempered by a bit of edge and chirp. It is very stable, plays beautifully, and is easy enough. It's not as forgiving as some, but everyone who has advanced a little on the whistle will appreciate the control and expression that provides.

In short, I haven't been able to put it down.

The regular Feadog is great, too, but since I know those already, it hasn't got as much play time as the Feadog Pro.

I can't really judge consistency, and there are some shriekers among the Feadogs from time to time, but the next guy who asks me what cheapo he should buy, I tell: Feadog Pro.

I'll try to write a bit more soon, but it's busy at the moment.
/Bloomfield
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

This is from Paul at Feadog when I asked him about the Pro model and what the difference was between it and their regular model:

"The Mark III mouth piece has been used on all our whistles since 2001. The Feadóg Pro D is a whistle with the more professional musician in mind. It has a heavier barrel than our standard whistles. This makes it louder and some think it gives it a superior tone...We have been getting very favourable reports back from all who have tested it and we plan to put it on general sale shortly."

He said they'll have it on their site soon, and gave me a price of E6.95 plus shipping if I wanted one. Don't know if that'll be the price when it goes on their site, but it's a lot better than what you'll see elsewhere.

So it sounds like it is the Mk III fipple but with an improved sound because of the thicker tube. I'm going to get one, I'd love to have a good cheapie.
Love...Serve...Remember
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

lyrick wrote:
He said they'll have it on their site soon, and gave me a price of E6.95 plus shipping if I wanted one.
:lol: :lol: The usual suspect is advertising it on GC for ONLY 12 euro and calls it a silly price. How right he is although I am sure this is not what he meant. In fairness, you probably get the free pouch worth 2 euro thrown in.

(edited t otake account of the overnight price drop from 16 to 12)
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.