Just wondering

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Just wondering

Post by LorenzoFlute »

You're going to use them if you're in a band. With a former band I used all the flutes I had (D, F, G, and C whistle). I would definitely use flutes in other keys if I had them, they're very handy with songs.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Othannen wrote:You're going to use them if you're in a band. With a former band I used all the flutes I had (D, F, G, and C whistle). I would definitely use flutes in other keys if I had them, they're very handy with songs.
Odd. I've never seen a flute player in a band change flutes. What is the need? I play with a harper who favors C, so I just play in C. Can't imagine a need for F, even though there is the odd tune with a Bb in it; never a G.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

It' s fairly clear from your posts you,re not really interested in why? Cubitt

You have found what works for you, fair enough.

I would like to hear some of your playing with the harper.

There are loads of choices. I can think of dozens of reasons why sometimes its better from my point of view to use a c flute rather than play in c on a d flute during a specific tune. Or take the fingering somewhere else. Like play in c on a g flute. If i had only the d flute my choices may be different.

You dont really want to know do you?
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

dunnp wrote:You dont really want to know do you?
All of your posts have been a waste of time. Why do bother with things that don't concern you? I've asked those who have flutes in more than one key why they got them and how they use them. You have added nothing to that conversation. I am not asking for a hypothetical justification, just a straight-forward answer to a simple question. If you have a problem with that, please move on. This thread is not for you.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

What? dunnp has given some very good ideas as to why a differently keyed flute might be needed. His posts were very useful, and I think he's right to say it seems like you don't actually care why... I'm still going to try to say why though! Regardings bands playing with multiple flutes, I recently saw Teada, and Damien played a couple sets on a bamboo F flute. Just for the variety, not for singers. F flutes do sound very different from D. A few years ago I saw Seamus Tansey play, and he played D and Eb flutes, again just for the change of pace. I play a B flute constantly, because I also play B pipes, and when my fiddler partner goes off into fiddley tunes that are easier on a flute than on pipes, I like having it handy. I enjoy playing whistles in different keys as well... not for the same reasons as dunnp, but just to play using the "regular" fingering and have it come out lower / higher. That's how I treat flutes, too.

As to the comment about finding it unlikely that anyone can actually tell the difference from listening, well, such comments always give my ego a boost! I'm quite capable of identifying if a flute is in F, C or Bb with or without a D flute (or D flute track) back-to-back to listen to. I'm less able to tell the difference between a flute in Eb and D, although I definitely can back-to-back. I don't consider myself all the great at it, so like I said, it is an ego boost when I hear someone as confident a musician as yourself say he's not at all capable of it.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Cubitt wrote:I've asked those who have flutes in more than one key why they got them and how they use them.
For tone colour as well as key. Can't tell you about my Eb flute body yet because Dave Copley's still finishing that, but take the same argument to whistles and consider the effect of, say, Mairi Bhan Og played (as I play it) in A Aeolian on D whistle complete with half-holed high Fs and cross-fingered mid/top Cs as opposed to the 'easier' options of the C whistle. The sound and feel are completely different (more limpid and plaintive), yet I might well reverse that choice of instrument for another similar tune. And (FWIW) I thought dunnp's been answering your questions quite well!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I guess they truly have been a waste of time then.
As someone who owns flute and plays flutes in different keys and has specific uses for them.
I would like to hear from others who use them in specific contexts rather than hear
I like to play my responsive F at home because I can.
Tune names, fingerings approaches etc, are of no use i can clearly see.

And on I move
Last edited by dunnp on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For me I bought a fife because I wanted to play some old civil war tunes and liked that it was small. Later I found many of the tunes were common in ITM and so I found a simple system D flute. Changed styles of fife, upgraded and purchased a waterproof flute and some cheep beater fifes for the pack. Never sold any of them but should fix up the wooden flute that I will sell off. Played the fife with others, but not the flute. Oh, and I got one of jem's piccolos that I enjoy much more than a whistle, but gets lost to easily in the pack.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

dunnp wrote:I guess they truly have been a waste of time then.
As someone who owns flute and plays flutes in different keys and has specific uses for them.
I would like to hear from others who use them in specific contexts rather than hear
I like to play my responsive F at home because I can.
Tune names, fingerings approaches etc, are of no use i can clearly see.

And on I move
This should have been your first response. The only real response you gave previously was about playing in different keys on a D flute, which was not the question. I am also not interested in a list of other players who use multiple flutes; I acknowledged that in the OP. The answer you gave here is fine - why didn't you start with that and avoid the snark?
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

NicoMoreno wrote:What? dunnp has given some very good ideas as to why a differently keyed flute might be needed.
Not what I asked for. I know why they might be needed or at least useful. As an active player who has never wished for flutes in other keys, even though I have them, I became curious for input on the personal experience of players here. Dunnp was being nasty and creating an argument where there was none. And until I called him out, he never gave a personal reason for having flutes in different keys. In fact, I wasn't even sure he had them until he finally said he did.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It is what you asked for though... Reasons for interest in other flutes. And he did state on his very first post that A is the lowest flute he had.

By the way, I think you're wrong that he was being nasty. If you can't hear the difference between different flutes or even different keys, than the obvious response is the one dunnp gave. Listen more. I mean, I learned how to do it! It's certainly possible.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

NicoMoreno wrote:It is what you asked for though... Reasons for interest in other flutes. And he did state on his very first post that A is the lowest flute he had.

By the way, I think you're wrong that he was being nasty. If you can't hear the difference between different flutes or even different keys, than the obvious response is the one dunnp gave. Listen more. I mean, I learned how to do it! It's certainly possible.
Well, I can meet you halfway on that. It is true that that he mentioned the A - I forgot that and didn't go back to check. I mostly objected to his saying that I didn't want to know what I asked. And the part about needing to listen more is just silly. I'm quite certain I can hear as many nuances as anyone here, but at least he acknowledged that he can't always tell. Probaby what got my dander up is that some people respond to posts (and not just mine) as if they are debates. I tried to make clear that this is not a pro or con conversation. Now (as someone stated), if you think you cannot be in a band without multiple flutes, I will dispute that because it simply isn't true. That's not to say it's never done, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that it is fun and useful enough to justify the expense and I can't argue with that, nor would I be inclined to.

Thank you all for playing. :pint:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

How about chased keys, engraved rings, gold rings and jeweled end caps? Really don't know where the line of wants and justify is sometimes.

Can't say I didn't want to break into case at the Corning glass museum to blow across their Laurent flute, but then I felt the same about a Hall and son fife I saw in a local historic site sitting on a dresser (that one took real control).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Cubitt wrote:
Othannen wrote:You're going to use them if you're in a band. With a former band I used all the flutes I had (D, F, G, and C whistle). I would definitely use flutes in other keys if I had them, they're very handy with songs.
Odd. I've never seen a flute player in a band change flutes. What is the need? I play with a harper who favors C, so I just play in C. Can't imagine a need for F, even though there is the odd tune with a Bb in it; never a G.
The singer had a limited voice extension, and this had to go along with the limited diatonic accordion player (for breton music). The songs went often in the C note area, that on the D flute doesn't offer much possibility for ornamentation. With the flutes in G and F the fingering was much easier on some songs, as well as giving a much brighter tone which is nice for a change. Jean Michel Veillon uses the F flute a lot. I payed about 150 euros for each of the flutes, and the C whiste went with the D body. I would buy a low C flute if I had the money, they sound great.

Have you ever player flutes if other keys?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I purchased a cheap F bamboo flute awhile back because I wanted a shorter flute. I prefer to play left-handed but I can play right-handed too. Playing in my car with the window up was a bit difficult with a D flute. I thought it would fit in my suitcase better too. It did. It fits on my coffee table better and no matter which direction it's pointing, it doesn't hang over the edge.

Also, I just needed a flute that I could keep handy so that when I needed to play a song or pick out a tune, I didn't have to go to all kinds of bother to put a flute together. Bummer it's not in a better key because my family laughs and laughs when I play along to a song in a commerical or a TV show.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦