Help - Atholl Highlanders

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help - Atholl Highlanders

Post by jemtheflute »

Ha. Memory! :oops: Just recalled I'd done a low whistle demo of this + Jug of Slugs some time ago. Yur 'tis. If any details are different from stuff I've written above, I'll apologise now and you can shoot me when you're ready. FWIW, the octave control is a whole bunch easier on flute than whistle because it isn't primarily done by breath pressure....

I hope it helps.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

In the many years I've been playing that tune is sessions around the UK and Ireland, I've never heard the start of the second part played:

Ace Ace | Bdf Bdf |

It has always been:

c/B/ | Ace Ace | Adf Adf |

Never mind the grace notes, it's the A chord followed by the D chord that matters.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

That's how it is on The Session, Ben (staying based on As) - and I have heard (and probably played) it that way, but the other way seems to predominate IME - and in Peter's piping source, seemingly. I wonder what a quick survey of YT renditions would show? (No, I'm not doing it - busy.....)

'Sides, which note the 2nd bar arpeggios start on, whilst significant in other respects, makes very little technical difference to how it needs to be played, and my practice suggestions above hold good either way.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

benhall.1 wrote:In the many years I've been playing that tune is sessions around the UK and Ireland, I've never heard the start of the second part played:

Ace Ace | Bdf Bdf |

It has always been:

Never mind the grace notes, it's the A chord followed by the D chord that matters.
I think that's how fiddlers play it (Ace ... Adf ...). On pipes I only heard the Ace ... Bdf ...

The book "Highland Tunes for The Fiddle" has it notated as Ace ... Adf, and with that A D chord sequence (and the whole thing dotted, not even).

What is IME?
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Found where I've put my version of the Arsehole Highlanders with that funny-metre bit:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Flute/Webreleas ... 4March.htm

There are two of them. Lieutenant Tapp's has six sections instead of the usual four, different internal repeat structure, no Mixolydian sevenths and it's in G. Tapp was a flute player and knew what he wanted. Good luck getting any session anywhere to follow that, but I like it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

@ Hans: In My Experience....

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

JackCampin wrote:It was originally a slow march with an even slower section in the middle in duple time (one old title for the tune is "The Duke of Athole's Pibroch", which doesn't exactly suggest jig speed). I have never heard that duple time bit played.
JackCampin wrote:Found where I've put my version of the Arsehole Highlanders with that funny-metre bit:
Fascinating stuff, Jack, with the closing bars of the Tapp version sharing the essential contours of that third part variant I was liking in the Logan's setting. But I'm not getting what you mean by 'an even slower section' or 'duple time' (thought you meant simple as opposed to compound time!) in either when everything still adds up to 6/8 (technically already duple) in both?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

I'm not getting what you mean by 'an even slower section' or 'duple time'
What you are not getting is that I misremembered the time signature. But surely that odd section should go slower?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

While that would certainly be tempting if you'd started too fast, I'm not seeing any evidence to suggest it's expected, so wonder whether its presence (along with the instruction 'Playfully but rather Slow') should instead be taken as a guide to the basic tempo?

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

hans wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:In the many years I've been playing that tune is sessions around the UK and Ireland, I've never heard the start of the second part played:

Ace Ace | Bdf Bdf |

It has always been:

I think that's how fiddlers play it (Ace ... Adf ...). On pipes I only heard the Ace ... Bdf ...

The book "Highland Tunes for The Fiddle" has it notated as Ace ... Adf, and with that A D chord sequence (and the whole thing dotted, not even).

What is IME?
Seriously, I've played it with loads of pipers. They all play it the way I suggested. I see that Jack's slightly different (older?) versions, linked to in his post above, also have the same pattern. It strikes me that Ace Ace | Bdf Bdf is probably just a mistake, somewhere along the line. Such things happen.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Seriously, I've played it with loads of pipers. They all play it the way I suggested.
But almost every pipe performance I've heard has been the other way, with the fiddlers favouring your way...
I see that Jack's slightly different (older?) versions, linked to in his post above, also have the same pattern.
Yes, noted. But then you could make an equal case for retaining the rest of those note-for-note, couldn't you? (And who's to say that they're not from a common 'faulty' source?)
It strikes me that Ace Ace | Bdf Bdf is probably just a mistake, somewhere along the line. Such things happen.
And such is the nature of the tradition. Which surely means that neither version is 'wrong'.

Master of nine?
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

If it was a "mistake" it must have been quite some time back, and now it is traditional for pipers.
With just a quick search I found these versions on piping sites:
http://www.scottleslie.net/highlands/ar ... anders.png
http://coldspringpipeband.org/music/mus ... athollhigh
http://www.pipefest.com/music/athollhighlanders.php
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I wonder if it's because of something other than what instrument it's played on. All the pipers I've heard play it 'my' way. But then, other than those sort of clips, all the ones I've heard and played with have been uilleann pipers and have been Irish. So, is it just a difference between the way, Scottish, GHB players play it and the way Irish players (on any instrument) play it? (Plus, maybe Scottish fiddlers.) Or maybe even just between GHB players and everybody else? Which would bring us back to the instrument ...

My head hurts.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh, and Peter, you'll notice that I have, throughout, carefully avoided saying that either version was "wrong".
andref
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by andref »

MTGuru wrote:
andref wrote:So we play it (not me though!) at "blazing speed"! Using your way of measuring a jig's tempo (which makes sense) we are playing it around 180-190 bpm. That's why it's so hard!
If that tempo is accurate, then it's also crazy, except as a bad joke. :really:
Sorry Mr Guru, I did the math wrong! :oops: I edited the post above to make it clearer. It's more on the line 120-130 bpm, if counting 2 beats per bar!