Someone to test something on a keyed flute for me?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Someone to test something on a keyed flute for me?

Post by jemtheflute »

I was going to say much the same, but was waiting until I could post a picture - sorry, not yet. I have the short Fs on both my R&Rs set at quite an angle, with no excavated receiving cavity. I usually put them at more of an angle than Denny's picture shows when setting up instruments I am overhauling, where doing so is physically possible. I have seen pictures of some late German flutes (Pupeschi etc. - see Rick Wilson's website) with a roller set into the down-flute side of the short F touch.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, let's get it done ol' boy... we's needs more drama!

:sniffle:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Denny

Post by Denny »

an seanduine wrote:What Denny neglected to point out, is that you could have a depression carved under the short F key allowing an even greater 'cant'.
I tend to neglect lots of stuff...

I'm sure that Dave & Marlene have some ideas on actual construction of these ideas.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'm sure that Dave & Marlene have some ideas on actual construction of these ideas.
Sure, we can leave the "details" to the programmers. . . :twisted: :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Denny

Post by Denny »

an' close the door on yer way out, thanks :D
seamasL

Post by seamasL »

I set up my GLP the way you are experimenting with now, the top hand on mine is turned out away from my body just a little bit and the bottom hand is right on top, or maybe just a tiny bit toward me. I had the t3 hole offset as well, away from me. I discovered this set up because one day, as I was practicing, I realized that I had never before felt so comfortable, everything felt right. I stopped playing and marked each section with a white dot on the back side, out of view, so that I could regain the same position the next day. Now it has been set up that way for probably two years and I wouldn't change it, it still feels great. We are all different, so I think if you keep on looking you will one day be playing your usual stuff and suddenly you will feel you are completely relaxed and your hands feel great. Mark it somehow, tape, ink, whatever, just make sure you can recover the same position tomorrow. It will probably not be just like mine, or to a minor extent just like anyone else's but it will feel perfect for you. You may change your mind later, I think lots of people continue to move things around depending on the day, that is ok too, I have just settled on one that works for me. Good luck!
Jim
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Easy to slide off when depressed, not quite so easy to slide onto from D, but easier than if the touch is parallel to the tube.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: yers is bigger :shock:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Easy to slide off when depressed
Ain't it so.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

seamasL wrote:It will probably not be just like mine, or to a minor extent just like anyone else's but it will feel perfect for you. You may change your mind later, I think lots of people continue to move things around depending on the day, that is ok too, I have just settled on one that works for me. Good luck!
Aye, it's quite a subtle thing (get it right and it seems to work on some subconscious level, but overdo it and it just feels weird!), so would need to be very, very sure if specifying it for a one-piece body. And can't do any more testing right now because the flute's off back to Dave to get the other bits done...
jemtheflute wrote:Image
You know there's more metalwork on the foot joint of that one than I'm planning on my whole flute! :P

But how about extending the touch towards the hole ('debating the viability of L or T shaped touches')? Anyone tried that, or would it just cross-load the pivot (in which case, doesn't a French-style G# do the same)?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Peter Duggan wrote:But how about extending the touch towards the hole ('debating the viability of L or T shaped touches')? Anyone tried that, or would it just cross-load the pivot (in which case, doesn't a French-style G# do the same)?
cf e.g.

&

&

&

Also, have you considered a far side L hand key for C natural as an alternative to the thumb hole, which would reduce the tasking for R1 and restore the possibility of the L thumb Bb?

e.g.

or

or

or there's even this

These two pics are also helpful:

Tromlitz thumb keys - see Rick Wilson's explanation on the page (Classical flutes) I borrowed this pic from:

and these nicely shown alternatives (already seen above in various guises):

All pics taken from Rick Wilson's invaluable web pages. Do check them all out.

Most of these ideas are usable individually, and even block-mounted if not combined with too much else.

Oh, and this is on eBay currently - could be the answer to all your prayers??? :D A bit less pricey and it'd almost be worth investing in to try out! :wink:

Or this one....... (more affordable and open holes, though L4 keys no use to you).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, and more simply, did you see this in another recent thread, posted by Norman Holmes?

A Goodlad flute (restored recently)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Thanks, Jem!
jemtheflute wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:But how about extending the touch towards the hole ('debating the viability of L or T shaped touches')? Anyone tried that, or would it just cross-load the pivot (in which case, doesn't a French-style G# do the same)?
cf e.g.
Yep, looked at this one after you described it further up.
Also, have you considered a far side L hand key for C natural as an alternative to the thumb hole
Nope, hadn't thought of that, but think I'd probably find it more awkward with my hand.
or there's even this
tulouim/nononc.jpg? (Obviously Tulou, but need to get back and check that out to work out exactly what it does!)
These two pics are also helpful:

Tromlitz thumb keys - see Rick Wilson's explanation on the page (Classical flutes) I borrowed this pic from:
Yep, we'd already considered and rejected this (see one of my earlier posts to this thread).
All pics taken from Rick Wilson's invaluable web pages. Do check them all out.
Keep heading back there, but find something 'new' every time!
Oh, and this is on eBay currently - could be the answer to all your prayers??? :D A bit less pricey and it'd almost be worth investing in to try out! :wink:
Nah, I'll just play my Boehm if I want all the holes obstructed by keys!
jemtheflute wrote:Oh, and more simply, did you see this in another recent thread, posted by Norman Holmes?
Yes, but (curiously) didn't stop to look at the keywork 'for me'. And that's very much the kind of thing I had in mind (or would be with an even broader touch).

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:tulouim/nononc.jpg? (Obviously Tulou, but need to get back and check that out to work out exactly what it does!)
Or not obviously Tulou, but Nonon!

So those are C and Bb thumb keys and must, from the text (?), be closed-standing, but where do you put your thumb when you don't want either? (I'm guessing below them, but can't say I'd be comfortable with that!)

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums