Kathleen Conneely album

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Kathleen Conneely album

Post by maki »

ytliek wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:A big part of a lot of members' vision for this site is to discuss, and thereby further promote learning about, the process of playing and how aesthetics are expressed within the tradition, and this is MTGuru's cup of tea. We seem to see more threads about making than we do about playing, here, and there's no reason why that should be.
Yes, us newbies need to learn and the discussions here are wonderful! :thumbsup:
I've always been interested in that creative dynamic between musician, music, and listener. Tastey stuff it is eh :)
Learning about Irish Music, and whistles is why I came here.
Without learned members sharing critical insights and the discussion that follows the forum would be mere entertainment.
And while I like entertainment as much as the next dude, the insights are gold.
It is tastey stuff, indeed.
Last edited by maki on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

david_h wrote:The recording is there. We can use our own ears. Reviews can tell us something of what others hear and how they feel about it, which can help us question our own views and advise us on how to interpret their views on other music.
Yes, exactly. For example, I found the comments from Brother Steve and Peter Duggan helpful, and likely to make me return to the recording at some point for another listen.
david_h wrote:No-one's comments here would make any difference as to whether I bought the CD or not, would like to hear Kathleen Conneely live, or would buy a track for 'study' if I was learning one of those tunes. (FWIW no, yes, possibly)
If anything, I'd guess there are some who may check out the album now who might not otherwise have done, just to see what all the fuss is about. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Well, you know, I haven't heard the album. I do, however, highly recommend the new 2 CD set from My Bloody Valentine which is a compilation of four of their EPs from the 90's.

I'll go through the thread again looking for any signs of rude or disrespectful treatment of a newbie. First time through, I just saw people arguing about a recording.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Dale: Oh dear.
Mrs.: What?
Dale: Oh, a little tiff on the board.
Mrs.: What are they arguing about?
Dale: It's about a recording. Among other things, there's a discussion about whether there's too much tonguing on it.
Mrs. Ok, if you don't want to answer my question seriously...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dale wrote:Dale: It's about a recording. Among other things, there's a discussion about whether there's too much tonguing on it.
I would think that, by now, Mrs. Oppressor would know better than to question the madness. Your task now is to explain to her the relevance of tonguing in everyday life, as a metaphor for social justice or something.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd think we'd all be tired of "too much tonguing" by now :puppyeyes:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

MTGuru wrote:
Dale wrote:Dale: It's about a recording. Among other things, there's a discussion about whether there's too much tonguing on it.
I would think that, by now, Mrs. Oppressor would know better than to question the madness. Your task now is to explain to her the relevance of tonguing in everyday life, as a metaphor for social justice or something.
Done.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

david_h wrote:The recording is there. We can use our own ears. Reviews can tell us something of what others hear and how they feel about it, which can help us question our own views and advise us on how to interpret their views on other music.
that's what I'm looking for
david_h wrote:No-one's comments here would make any difference as to whether I bought the CD or not, would like to hear Kathleen Conneely live, or would buy a track for 'study' if I was learning one of those tunes. (FWIW no, yes, possibly)
here,here
MTGuru wrote:If anything, I'd guess there are some who may check out the album now who might not otherwise have done, just to see what all the fuss is about. :-)
I take all the interpretations/comments/reviews/criticisms here as just someone's input. Minutia... Good, Bad, or Ugly

Thankyou snakewriggle for posting CD info, I did purchase CD (not compelled) and (waiting delivery). As a newbie whistler, just finding "current" whistle albums is difficult enough, and the list of whistle recordings has been a sheer joy, thankyou MTGuru for adding. And FWIW I'd even consider purchasing some of those negative derivative CDs, possibly publish one of my own someday titled 'Back Notes: Things I Wish I Never Played' with pixelated chew and tongued slobber.
shoner

Post by shoner »

You are not going to get who Kathleen is by listening to a 10 second sound sample. The reason why people like Martin Hayes, Kevin Crawford, Jimmy Noonan, John Skelton and many more active working Irish musicians adore her playing is because she is remarkably inventive throughout a tune. Her phrasing is brilliant, her sense of lift is the pure drop and she weaves subtle twists and turns of artful variation during every pass through the melody. She is the real deal. Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a fight.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

shoner wrote:You are not going to get who Kathleen is by listening to a 10 second sound sample... She is the real deal.
As a newbie what do I know. The bio alone was enough for purchase even without the audio clips. I received Kathleen Conneely's CD and listened, then another close listen. Delightful! Was I compelled to buy, no, am I compelled to listen, yes. Now I can't stop listening to it. Looped and locked. Best $15 dollars I've spent in a long time, and I do know that! "She is the real deal" top shelf stuff that is and it's a Sindt whistle at that. Wow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

Thanks to original poster - I'm off to CD Baby in a minute to grab a copy. And thank you MTGuru. This is the longest conversation about Kathleen I have ever heard (well, seen). Usually, around the New York crowd I hang out with, the conversation goes like this:

old timer: "Ahh, that Kathleen Conneely now, I wonder how she's doing"
other old timer "I don't know. I've not seen her since the Catskills. Ahh she's a lovely player".
old timer: "A lovely gal alltogether. Mighty player, I always try to sit near her".
rest of the crowd nods their heads and mumbles in affirmation - there's nothing left to be said.
old timer: "that Martin Hayes now, what the hell is he playing at.....

:)

Tom
Last edited by Tamadden on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

:D :D :D

still locked and looped playing Kathleen Conneely... btw, just how many repeat plays can you get from a plastic disk CD anyway?

Tamadden wrote:that Martin Hayes now, what the hell is he playing at.....
I just saw him recently :) fiddlin' around
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Lying in bed this morning for some reason I remembered that I had committed my admiration of Kathleen to verse, here on this forum - fully a decade ago, as it turns out.

The high-end whistlers’ shoot-out
or: How Kathleen Coneely snatched victory from under the noses of Laurence Nugent and Vinny Kilduff

The finals were too close to call
But the bloke with the Oak took the fall
The young Turk with a Burke
Thought he’d won with a smirk
But the bint with the Sindt beat them all!

This was in a thread devoted to whistle limericks, some of which at least are worth re-reading, even if the above wasn't. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3141&start=15
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

StevieJ wrote:Lying in bed this morning for some reason I remembered that I had committed my admiration of Kathleen to verse, here on this forum - fully a decade ago, as it turns out.

The high-end whistlers’ shoot-out
or: How Kathleen Coneely snatched victory from under the noses of Laurence Nugent and Vinny Kilduff

The finals were too close to call
But the bloke with the Oak took the fall
The young Turk with a Burke
Thought he’d won with a smirk
But the bint with the Sindt beat them all!

This was in a thread devoted to whistle limericks, some of which at least are worth re-reading, even if the above wasn't. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3141&start=15
StevieJ, thank you for that. :) Great reading and the link was even better! :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and I was listening to Kathleen Conneely CD the whole time... :)