US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

Post by ytliek »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:And the name? Fipple Fest - celebrating the instrument known as the Irish whistle, tinwhistle, or penny whistle. Does that cover all the bases?
Hello, just some thoughts from a newbie pennywhistler on the East Coast... (I liked your design, whatta I know) I can do without "Irish" to better blend the species, so here are some ideas tossed into the pot. Eye catching artwork of some kind, central and wrap the title someway above and below. Possibly artwork something like this:
Color or B&W, not this particular piece.
Catchy title, Pennywhistles Pacific 2012, or Pennywhistle hi & low Pacific Festival 2012, or PennyWhistle Fest West 2012 (in case there ever is an East). And, its probably too late to connect with Phil Hardy's whistlemakers convention in England, but, a unifying logo design that could be used for future whistlemaker's convention, East as I mentioned, or DownUnder, or elsewhere.

If I can get some time, I'll search for artwork, if you want it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

benhall.1 wrote:
nickthepiedpiper wrote:But all if which are mute points since I'm changing the design to a more politically correct thing. Just to make all of you happy.. And so you can feel the love!
Ah. Presumably you mean moot points, i.e. points worthy of further debate. :twisted:
or mutt points, i.e. points that will be chewed to pieces.Image
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:And the name?
Fipple Fest - celebrating the instrument known as the Irish whistle, tinwhistle, or penny whistle.

Does that cover all the bases?
No, it suggests to me a general festival of fipple flutes at which I'd also expect to find recorders etc. So think Whistle Fest would be much better (and sounds just as mellifluous without the alliteration).
nickthepiedpiper wrote:just like the Irish whistle is used in Scotland as well as many other countries.
Um, no... the whistle is used in Ireland and Scotland as well as many other countries!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

yes, thanks for the spelling correction...
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Ok, so here's the new design. I wanted to incorporate the Oregon Coast into it, and I modeled the silhouette after Paddy Moloney, and borrowed the description of our beloved instrument from the chiff and Fipple page - that should cover all the bases. Let me know if it is any better.

[Link fixed - Mod]
Last edited by nickthepiedpiper on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:...kilts have been common in Ireland since the 19th century at formal and musical gatherings.
That's late 19th c., BTW. Or early 20th. Depends on who's counting. This would have been during the Gaelic Revival, a movement to re-Gaelicise Irish culture. Of course the kilt would have been a convenient and recognisable symbol of that spirit.
nickthepiedpiper wrote:The kilt, although most commonly associated with Scotland, has been adopted as a symbol of Celtic heritage...
True, and not only by the Irish, but even by the Welsh now, and Cornish, and on and on, but to what degree it has permeated and become associated with those cultures I would have to witness first-hand to convince me of the solidity of the argument for your purposes. It's a very recent phenomenon, and how long it may last is too early to tell.

BTW, there is some argument that the kilt is more likely Norse in origin, whatever its present use and symbology. Historic documentation tells us clearly that men of the Celtic tribes were notable for the wearing of trousers.
nickthepiedpiper wrote:...just like the Irish whistle is used in Scotland as well as many other countries.
And a repeat from the Peanut Gallery: Don't - please - call it the "Irish" whistle. One may use the term "Irish whistle" as a metonym when referring to the playing of whistles in that kind, but otherwise as a term for the general physical object it's a misappropriation. Why do we say "Irish flute", then? Well, some of us don't (except, again, as metonym) because we don't feel that convenience excuses laziness. Arguably the only Irish flute is the modern keyless one, so long as we're splitting hairs.
nickthepiedpiper wrote:But all if which are mute points since I'm changing the design to a more politically correct thing. Just to make all of you happy.. And so you can feel the love!
It's not about being politically correct. It's about being well-informed and making informed choices.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
nickthepiedpiper

Ok, since we are being correct (well informed and such - which I'm trying not to take as you implying that I am not well informed) here I just have to add that simply calling it a whistle will not do as there are many kinds of whistles that aren't the 6-7 hole variety that we play. Tin whistle is OK, but since 80% of them aren't made of "tin" that's kind of a misnomer. Penny whistle; again I'm fine with that, but as a maker of said instruments, the term sort of lends a cheapness to the instrument, and I can't make a living selling them for a penny, so what are we left with? Irish whistle - not because they are played solely by Irish people, or perhaps even invented by the Irish (but lets not get into that one), but simply because it is the whistle most commonly used in Irish Traditional Music.

I've come to the realization that since I can't make everyone happy, I'll do what I like for the most part and call it a day.
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh no! not the "survival instinct" again!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:Ok, since we are being correct (well informed and such - which I'm trying not to take as you implying that I am not well informed)...
Please don't. I wasn't implying that. But if you or anyone makes broad statements in these matters, they're bound to come under scrutiny. That's just how it is.

You said "politically correct", and I said that our arguments weren't about that, and why they weren't. That's all. So let's at least keep that clear.

And you're right. At the end of the day you gotta do what you gotta do. You may not realise it, but we're trying to help from our various viewpoints as to what we feel are relevancies worth considering.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

I think it's a good idea to cover all your bases and refer to it by all of its different names. I recall it all being quite confusing to me at first, how a tin whistle could be made of wood and a pennywhistle could cost 200+ dollars. I also like the approach Mr. Sweet took, simply calling them Irish whistles because he doesn't make them out of tin, nor are they cheap. But of course feel free to disregard any input I have to share.
In regards to your new art work, Nick, I find it looks quite nice. Very official looking. I hope you don't mind if I share a little bit of art work for the festival, I'm basically just working on a fancy font (which I will call "Kell" font from now on) that is very ancient Irish-esque (no, not traditional, but it's all part of the Irish heritage). Don't feel bad shunning it, I just thought I'd throw it up here for consideration:

Yes, those are the only four letters I have in it. The borders are supposed to be filled with art work similar to that which can be found in The Book of Kells. I thought maybe if I did the words "Fipple Fest" in this style and filled it with the intended artwork it'd make nice text for a poster or something. But if you guys hate it (specifically you, Nick) I'll save my self the trouble and retire the project.

Anyways, that's that.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:simply calling it a whistle will not do as there are many kinds of whistles that aren't the 6-7 hole variety that we play.
And many kinds of fipple flutes that nobody ever calls whistles (making 'fipple' even less specific than 'whistle' for your purposes).
I've come to the realization that since I can't make everyone happy, I'll do what I like for the most part and call it a day.
Call it what you like, but sticking with Fipple Fest strikes me as potentially counterproductive when I'd think you'd struggle to come up with anything more unevocative!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
nickthepiedpiper

Would love to see the artwork.. Font looks good so far. Can't garauntee it will get used, but if it's good we might incorporate it.
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

I've finished detailing the sample word, some sloppy parts but looks pretty good. It's the first artwork I've done in probably half a decade. :P

I suppose sometime I'll work on the words "fipple" and "fest", and "whistle" too.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
nickthepiedpiper

Looks incredible! Love it! Yes please do those for me!!!
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Nick,
I was one of the first to respond to your orignal post regarding your effort to organize a festival celebrating the whistles and music we all share a love for. I regret to in form you that upon submission of the name "FIPPLE FEST" that I immediately contacted my attorney to initiate my registration of the same as a trade mark and copy righted name /title. Please be advised that any and all use as unauthorized directly by myself, shall constitute an infringement of my intellectual property.

RELAX, I am just kidding. :lol:

By the way, I love the art work with the unmistakable sillouette of Paddy, a true embassador of Irish music and the whistle.

I would also consider it an honor if you stay with the name FIPPLE FEST for this special event. Continued luck to you as you move forward in organizing the festival.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!