Slurring, tonguing and the lazy/undecided mind?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Slurring, tonguing and the lazy/undecided mind?

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I've been playing whistle for quite a while now, and I can't even play double cut rolls, at least not spontaneously and reliably.
Me neither!
There's a quite well-known anecdote around here (SoCal) of an uilleann piping workshop where the teacher called for a double cut roll very early on in the setting or whatever tune he was teaching. He insisted that nothing else would do, and would proceed no further otherwise.

There ensued the spectacle of a room full of fairly experienced pipers foundering spectacularly on the shoals of the double cut roll for a half hour or so. After which the entire workshop broke up, having gone no further than the first few notes of the tune.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
O'Mulriain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O'Mulriain »

Oh, why can't things ever be what they seem? I thought a double cut roll was the same thing as an extended roll (as in a cut a tap and a cut), and I already told you what I thought a tongued triplet was, and I can see that I was wrong about that. And yes, MTGuru, you are correct in regards to my ability to perform said ornament. I have trouble doing finger bounces on those top three fingers let alone a double cut roll!
Also I always assumed that songs and tunes where synonyms of each other, but referring back to their definitions I realize that was yet another misconception I had.

I look like a real dunce now, don't I? Well at least I've learned something new (or actually a lot of things).
Um... thanks for all your help everybody (even if you where cringing your teeth and rolling your eyes at everything I said :wink: ).
Last edited by O'Mulriain on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

O'Mulriain wrote:Well at least I've learned something new (or actually a lot of things).
Well, there you go. Nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:He insisted that nothing else would do, and would proceed no further otherwise.
Talking about the wood and the trees...
a room full of fairly experienced pipers foundering spectacularly on the shoals of the double cut roll
Have to confess the term hadn't registered with me (despite playing whistle for 30+ years and with some purpose for a good 25) till I stumbled over it in Larsen's book the other day. Though at least the 'double cut' makes sense there where (to my mind) it's still a daft way to describe a casadh!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:it's still a daft way to describe a casadh!
Not to muddy the terminology waters ... and I have no idea what Larsen says ...

But what I mean by double cut roll is not (I think!) a casadh. It's simply and literally subsituting two cuts for the one cut in a roll.

For example, in a long roll, roughly G{B}G{F}G -> G/{c}G/{B}G{F}G. Or in a short roll {B}G{F}G -> {c}G/{B}G/{F}G.

If I understand what Bloomfield describes in that old post, that's what I call (probably idiosyncratically) a flip, sounding the main note briefly before the cut - {GB}G - however it's approached.

In any case, the "twisting of the fingers" seems like a good description for lots of things. :wink:

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:Not to muddy the terminology waters ... and I have no idea what Larsen says ...

But what I mean by double cut roll is not (I think!) a casadh. It's simply and literally subsituting two cuts for the one cut in a roll.
But my point was that the 'double cut' of 'double cut roll' describes exactly what I'd expect ('simply and literally substituting two cuts for the one cut') whereas 'double cut' on its own (as apparently used by some, but not Larsen, for the casadh/flip) is pretty unhelpful when you're not getting two cuts there! :wink:
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:'double cut' on its own (as used by some, but not Larsen, for the casadh/flip) is pretty unhelpful when you're not getting two cuts there! :wink:
Yep, agreed!

And I'll get even with you for your [sic], Mister. You'd better not make any typing mistakes, ever! I'll be watching you like a hawk. Or a hwak. :lol:

Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:And I'll get even with you for your [sic], Mister.
Damn, caught just before I thought the better of it!
You'd better not make any typing mistakes, ever! I'll be watching you like a hawk. Or a hwak. :lol:
Typos? Hoo, me? :P

Master of nine?
Denny

Post by Denny »

nicely played, y'all!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Not to muddy the terminology waters ... and I have no idea what Larsen says ...

But my point was that the 'double cut' of 'double cut roll' describes exactly what I'd expect ('simply and literally substituting two cuts for the one cut') whereas 'double cut' on its own (as apparently used by some, but not Larsen, for the casadh/flip) is pretty unhelpful when you're not getting two cuts there! :wink:
All this talk of yer fancy-schmantsy double cut rolls. Sure and eventually someone's competitive streak will have to do one better and we'll all be breaking our fingers anew trying to learn triple cut rolls. And so on. Where will the arms race end?

Here is the very analogy:

Yes. Disaster.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:trying to learn triple cut rolls.
What, the cranned strike? (Use your loaf!)

:party:

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peace: mi casadh es su casadh.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:mi casadh es su casadh.
Nice one, Nano (hope it's spontaneous)!

Master of nine?
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

I consider it an accomplishment that the neighbors haven't called the police on me yet when I'm playing or making whistles. :D

Double cut rolls?!?!? :o I'm finally getting OK at cuts after about a year and a half playing these little leaky pipes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:(hope it's spontaneous)!
If you mean did I think it up all on my own right then, I have to beg your indulgence, and admit to it.