2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Airgead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by Airgead »

Greetings. I'm Curtis in Juneau, Alaska. I was a bass player turned drummer. Then I moved to Alaska and had to leave the drums behind. I had to find something to scratch my musical itch and so I picked up a Faedog from a local book store two years ago. Then a few other whistles shortly after. I'm slow and steady in the learning process, but I'm completely in love with it. I've been experimenting for the last year with designing and finally have some aluminum whistles I think are pretty decent. In fact, I'm going to tour one here shortly, so send me a message if you're interested in joining the tour.

I'm currently working on:

-The Cat's Meow
-Caribou Reel
-Peacock's Feathers *There used to be a youtube video of a guy doing an amazing rendition of it on a copeland D. Anybody know what I'm talking about? The video is gone now but I'd love to find out where to learn that version of it.
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

Gary in Trenton, Ontario Canada ... Almost a year of semi serious whistle playing. Play guitar in session (when my 3 boys are not taking up all my time with hockey) and tunes on whistle as I learn them. Working on Banish Misfortune and Boys of Blue Hill. Boys of Blue hill to go along with Harvest Home (which I now know pretty well) so I've got a set of horn pipes to play. A side product of picking up the whistle is that I've also started to seriously learn to read music and not just relying on the old ear as us guitarist are prone to do. It's been a very productive musical year for me in 2012 ... hope 2013 is as well!
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

My tin whistle is here!

After 10 minutes of playing with it I recorded this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJNhXL8kCA

I am aware that I am a noob.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Nimbles,

Good job!
If I were to give advice, it would be to use the finger pads rather than the finger tips to cover the holes - you managed to seal the holes well despite using the tips, but it'll be easier if you use the finger pads. In other words, hold the fingers horizontally not (as) vertically.

-Tor
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

OK I will try! I think it's because I'm used to holding an oboe which is a lot fatter. Thanks for the help :) I've had to put it away now before the neighbours start complaining.
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Greetings and Happy New Year. My name is John and I am in Devon, PA. I've picked up a few whistles over the last year, and only started to really practice about half a year ago. In order of my love, Fred Rose D, Clarke C, Feadog D, Oak C, home-made copper whistle bought off EBay D ( :D ) . I also practice the Balkan Kaval in Bb.

The tunes I am working on (first two sets I am OK in but still need fine tuning and my own ornamentation, the last two I am just starting):

1) Behind the Bush
Road to Lisdoonvarna
O'Keefe's Slide

2) Rocky Road to Dublin

3) Strayaway Child

4) Cooley's Reel

I also play two slow airs but though I can play them well, there always is room for improvement : Inisheer and Muir Eireann

I really need to find a teacher!!! I feel I can learn the tunes but I am hitting a wall and can only watch so much Youtube videos!!
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

I'll check in here. I first picked up a whistle about six or seven years ago. Unfortunately I don't make as much time for it as I used to so I'm not currently learning any new tunes. Just occasionally practicing the ones I already know.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
David G Barnes

Post by David G Barnes »

:poke:
My name is David Barnes I started playing in April. I make Native American Flutes (hobby) and dable in other instrument construction. Drums, Hammer Dulcimer, Irish Flute. Live in Colorado Springs, CO.
Learning -
Lilting Banshee
Cooley's
Dawning of the Day
Everything they play at Session Wed & Sun

Well i have a Tyrone Head whistle and a bunch of Dixon whistles , M&E D Flute and M&E Eb Flute

My HAM call sign is WF0TOS - 73's
David G Barnes
Estel Photography
http://www.estelphoto.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hello there!
My name is Fred, and I'm in my 50s. I first picked up a whistle when I was a teenager, but didn't really do much with it until I turned 50, and started making my own, thanks to Snr Gonzato's excellent instructions.
Now I've made dozens of whistles, and currently play Low D, C, F & G. High whistles I've limited myself to D, C, G & B. (Not Bb. I was asked for one. I made two - one for them & one for me.)
I also play overtone flute, guitar & duclimer. I am learning the melodeon.
Recently I moved from Buckinghamshire, UK to Oldham, UK, some 200 miles. I haven't landed a regular session or Folk Club up here yet.
Tunes I'm working on include
Young Collins
Princess Royal (Alias Planxty Miss MacDermott)
Friezeland (by Jamie Knowles)
Ciaran and Berni
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Bob here... Presently working on Yew Piney Mountain... Easy on guitar and banjo, a bugger on the fiddle. Managed to go 12 months without buying another whistle. I might have my addiction under control... My uncle was the ham in the family since the 1950's. He and all the hams were the first generation of electronic tech geeks... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

My name is Nathaniel. I'm 28 and first picked up a Walton's D whistle in Colonial Williamsburg, VA prior to my junior year of high school. Never did much with it and it lived on the floor of my garage for many years before I finally picked it up and started learning on it, along with the Mel Bay book that came with it, in late 2010. I got my first low whistle in early 2011.

I currently own a Chieftain V3, which clearly shows where I hold it, a few Shearwater low whistles (C,D, and F), a tipple flute in Eb, and a variety of Freeman whistles (low G up through high D).

I'm currently (and always) working on "The Furze in Bloom" and am trying to work my way into faster tunes like "Kesh Jig" and "Drowsy Maggie".

As for ornaments, I'm currently just trying to match ornament sounds to ornament names, as there are several sounds I can hear, but have no idea how they are produced (mostly because I am incapable of reproducing them, even if I knew the mechanics).

My dream whistle is a green MK pro low D. I love green.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Elle

Post by Elle »

argophoto/John,

Sent you a PM about a local teacher....
sackbut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sackbut »

Been playing since 1997, slow progress after starting my first (& only) instrument at the age of 47, but now play in 2 bands, a monthly workshop, and a fortnightly pub session which is also sometimes a ceilidh band.
Based in south Manchester, but have family in Somerset, where my sister gave me William Winter's Quantocks Tune Book for Christmas, so currently practising tunes out of that: Burow of the Cuckoo; Surrender of Calais; Opera Hat; Woman's Will; Black Mary's Hornpipe; Prince of Wales Night Cap; A Favourite Duet by Mr Holmes...
I play mostly but not exclusively English tunes and particularly like 3/2 hornpipes.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Breaker breaker 1-9. Do they still say that stuff? My only experience of CB radio is watching the film Convoy.

I'm Caroline and as my sig says I've been playing 5 and half years and now I'm really beginning to get it.

The tunes I'm working on are a reel, a jig and a set of polkas but in line with tradition I haven't got a scooby doo what any of them are called.

Fav tune possibly Rolling Wave ( one of them )

Best thing I've done: learnt technique from Mikie Smith the piper on the OAIM.ie website. Nowhere else have I seen that stuff and its really shaped my style.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
bellowsface

Post by bellowsface »

Hi all my real name is mark. I have been playing oh let's see about 5 days. I am currently killing Danny boy, Scarborough fair and a few more of the usual learner stuff. I ain't got a clue what I'm doing apart from enjoying myself. I have just ordered a second whistle from Clarke in d my other whistle is a feadog also in d. I play guitar also. I just love the sound of the whistle hallways wanted to learn and to this end I bought the feadog a few years ago but never got round to learning how to play. I now intend to do something about that. I have had some great help since finding the forum and I thank you all.