Tuning drones in a noisy room

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Tuning drones in a noisy room

Post by pancelticpiper »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Oh, I really hate to give up Mrs. Doyle, but I might have to switch profile photos :-D
Go on, go on!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:I've found that the Snark works really nicely on the chanter but I've never gotten it to work well on my drones. Any tips on that?
I just bought a Snark SN-2 and tried it for the first time last night. Way easier to use than the iphone tuner I was using before. I used the vibration sensor rather than the internal mic, and it worked great on the chanter, tenor drone, and baritone drone. It was usable on the bass drone but didn't get quite as clear of a reading as the other two drones, possibly because I had it clipped down at the bottom of the drone rather than closer to the reed? Maybe I will try using the mic down there, or moving the clip closer to the main stock and reed. In any event, I'm very happy with it for an $11 investment.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
TheSilverSpear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I have a Korg tuner that my husband bought me for my birthday (I KNOW -- what does that say?). It works well, unless the room is really noisy, people talking, other musicians noodling, etc. Then it just gets confused.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

bogman wrote:
Tony wrote:Stethoscope. I thought everyone used them...

At first I thought that was a joke but then realised it's probably a great idea - with the listening bit on the bag....does it work?
Tried this yesterday - it's brilliant. You hear nothing except the drones. Considered leaving them on so I wouldn't have to endure the wearisome prattle of the other session attendees, too...but I kid. This is the greatest piping tip I've come across in a long while. Always hated not being able to hear the drones in noisy environments, never being able to tell if I was on pitch. The steth makes it all a snap.

The ones I bought were only $6, too.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Tony had tinnitus and had lost most of his hearing. I think he finally bowed out of the uilleann pipe dream, but he was pretty resourceful adapting to his changing world.