Learning to play by ear

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Learning to play by ear

Post by Kirk B »

Nanohedron wrote:
Kirk B wrote:I played a recording of a Trad flute tune for a friend who isn't a musician.
Yeah, I gave up on that way back.
Yeah, I won't make that mistake again.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Kirk B wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Kirk B wrote:I played a recording of a Trad flute tune for a friend who isn't a musician.
Yeah, I gave up on that way back.
Yeah, I won't make that mistake again.
Was it Pure Drop? You know, unaccompanied barenaked solo flute?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

It was this exact video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLIvKS1aoM

I can't play pure drop for anyone any more. If they know any Irish music at all it's always Gaelic Storm or something like that. :boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I hate to put it in such terms, but I've learned the hard way that it's usually pearls before swine. Only the connoisseur would get the beauty of Niall's playing, much less be able to savor the spare elegance of it being accompanied by nothing more than a subtle drum.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

Nanohedron wrote:I hate to put it in such terms, but I've learned the hard way that it's usually pearls before swine. Only the connoisseur would get the beauty of Niall's playing, much less be able to savor the spare elegance of it being accompanied by nothing more than a subtle drum.
I was disappointed at the time that he didn't care for it. But then again, I remember the time my sister came to visit me when I lived in Oregon and spent the whole drive through the Columbia River Gorge reading a book. I've learned to live with the fact that some folks just aren't going to recognize the beautiful things in the world. You can't beat good taste into them with a stick.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I think it's to do with the speed that he's playing at - unless you're used to hearing fast tunes I think it's difficult to make out the structure of the tune.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Anyway this has livened up a quiet July, thanks for the replies
:thumbsup: just off to order my wrist lyres from troll.com
Mark
Neil B

Two parts in harmony Pt 1

Post by Neil B »

Part one...

"just off to order my wrist lyres from troll.com"

A pity the moderator didn't delete this for bad taste! Maybe you are a reader of music but maybe unable to read the thread properly? As for the July statement, the board has been static for a while with only duplications of "I want to sell my flute" on the main board repeated on where they should go UIE freeing space for debates here IMHO...

Now read my first statement below * that I made in answer to a question on playing by ear. You'll nead to TRAWL backwards to find it, but as you state on your signature "you may be a long way from being an expert at this"? IF this board is for only Traditional Irish flutes or whatever term you use, ensure that any strangers to your way of life are blocked & not pillered (old flute part terms) by you wanting to make an absurd name against a member on a debate which shows the reasons for not wanting to wear a wrist lyre or even wear one.

"Incoming" was in regard to the pros and cons of the afore stated methods of aiding a player, not some snide remark from you, Mark P

"Yes I know the two types of player are not to be compared with, but the question was learning to replay by ear....so now ready for incoming:-))
Neil B

Two parts in harmony Pt 2

Post by Neil B »

Part two...

Now to the new J McEnroe on the block, JohnB.... I am serious otherwise I wouldn't have suggested the use. However it appears your all memory men. So I issue a challenge to you in particular. I'm in Germany but will be in London Mid December 13 at the Tower of London, playing simple system flutes & using parts on a stand or on the wrist. I can send you say a part from their listings to learn from memory and you have x5 months to do this & then maybe you can show the throng your ability in the method you prefer? Should of course it be perfect then no doubt you'll be asked to join, however I'll wager the opposite... there's too many P's & F's and PP & FF's to remember never mind your tricky solo's Viz: bars rests:-))

In return send me a "readable" piece of your choice of the 8 bars repeated & repeated and so on, so I can wear it and play it hopefully a week before. I suggest from what THEY play, either "The Entry of the Gladiators... or in your case "The Gladiators Farewell....You can do the piccolo part, the melody or the counter melody or all three seperately, your (memory) call? (Or maybe your out of town, mid December?)

So in closing my case for the defence of "wrist lyres"....over to you & out.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Neil, this is just silly. If you can't understand why a wrist lyre is a silly suggestion for a traditional musician then you really don't understand how the music works.

Just as many traditional musicians wouldn't understand how flute bands work.

Your challenge is silly just as it would be if you were challenged to show up at a session with your wrist lyre and play along..

No good Glasgow flute finds lately, someone tried to sell me a German piccolo for way to much money. I passed. Ear to the ground as always. I go in every pawn shop and junk stall I see.

Take Care,
Patrick
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Better your nose to the ground rather than the ear Partick, for obvious reasons, thanks anyway & hoping. I'm still advertising my wants on the UIE but may need to add a hearing horn & give away the bi-focals in trade:-))
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

This thread has a Neil B, a JohnB, a Kirk B, a MarkP and a dunnp. MarkP and dunnp, mind if we call you "Bruce" to keep it all straight?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

A pity the moderator didn't delete this for bad taste!
Apologies, I assumed you were winding us up, having read more...apparently not.
Mark
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Takes a real M(Ram)AN to appologise & not be one of the flock, so thanks for taking the time to do so. (All I need now is "Spartucus from Londonium" to reply:-)) But to wind this up on my contribution, all I can write is...if not tried, don't knock it until you do, now where did I leave those wrist lyres....oh dear memory is fading!
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.”
― H.P. Lovecraft, Tales of H. P. Lovecraft
Mark