Reeds and lack of humidity

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Reeds and lack of humidity

Post by ennischanter »

I think my reed is getting dry, and the Back D is sinking. But it sounds like my bottom D is unstable. Well that, or it's my fingers.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

So the last concert was today. As I said, my pipes play great in the 'green room' but halfway through the concert my back D is starting to sink/break and bottom D starting to gurgle... I have to hit both of those Ds lightly.

Today I remembered to bring a humidity gauge, and guess what? The humidity in the 'green room' is 35%, while the humidity up on the stage is 30%. Wow... I wouldn't have thought that 5% would make such a difference.

What I've done is this: between tunes I'll remove the chanter and blow moist air into the bag. It helps to give the chanter a bit of a moisture boost and keep it behaving properly.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

pancelticpiper wrote:So the last concert was today. As I said, my pipes play great in the 'green room' but halfway through the concert my back D is starting to sink/break and bottom D starting to gurgle... I have to hit both of those Ds lightly.
I think it's only a matter of time before my bottom D starts to Gurgle. Is it weird that I like the sound of an autocrann?

Oh, and by any chance does your chanter have rush (Small roll of paper) in the bell? Mine does.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

No rush in the D chanter, a rush (guitar string) in the C chanter.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

well heres an idea. somoene needs to design a bellows inlet valve that sucks plenty of air in from the sides, and has a slot in the top for a sponge disc. I think that could potentially be a big help.
Fixing it the other way, drying the reed out when its too damp, i have no clue. in fact i dont think ive EVER in all my born days experienced 8% humidity. i am certain my lips would drop off.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
P.P.S. DON'T STRESS YOUR REED BY OPENING THE BRIDLE! That's the worst thing you can do.
Why exactly do you say that, Cathy? It has been my experience that if a reed closes entirely, or even substantially, and is allowed to remain near-closed, the blades run the risk of warping. Such a reed is difficult or impossible to get going properly again. I advise students to keep a close watch on the aperture and adjust the bridle as necessary (or seek assistance to do so) to prevent the reed from closing down too far.

best regards,

- Bill
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

As a beginner who has never adjusted my reed. I am nervous to do anything to it.

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Since I have a couple of reeds somewhat working. My approach is if bottom D is hard to sound move bridle up a bit to open reed. If the high a and b are tough going move the bridle down a bit closing the reed.

Reeds are still going and iI adjust relatively regularly.

Then again I live in Glasgow now. Massachusetts was always a reed nightmare.
kidonthemountain
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

Post by kidonthemountain »

Seeing as Boston's a chip-off-the-ol'-polar-vortex these last few days, I've been resorting to a possibly unkosher method for boosting humidity in a pinch: removing the chanter, emptying the bag of air, blowing a good lungful of air back into the bag, and re-inserting the chanter. Done a few times over the span of 10 minutes or so seems to bring life back into the reed without extra manipulation. I can't help but wonder, though -- am I risking a warped reed and/or a germ universe inside my bag by doing this?

(Cathy, your wet-hanky solution looks like a great idea, but I'm a lazier woman than you.)
Last edited by kidonthemountain on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

ennischanter wrote:As a beginner who has never adjusted my reed. I am nervous to do anything to it.
Maybe you need two reeds...one to play, and one to play around with. So much can be learned by moving the bridle around, trying different types of bridles, and placing them in different areas of the reed with different tensions.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's a picture of the type of bridle some of us use. My AB reed is like this one. It allows you to squeeze it in different ways. The loop that stand up allows for tiny adjustments against the edges...which also can open or close the lips/aperture. The bridle is well below the scrape but still serves to help keep the edges together...both up and down the edges. Also, located in this position, some reeds can benefit in tuning the A note (or thereabouts).

BTW, this Howard reed has a stainless staple that is milled into a conical bore.

Original thread...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84995
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

A wooden reed defeats the dryness!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

Howard reed has a stainless staple that is milled into a conical bore.
What does that mean, exactly? Is the staple not flattened at all? If it is, how can it continue to be conical?

I have one of these reeds and while it is very nice/responsive, it is too sharp (by a good semitone) to work in any D chanter that I own.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Lorenzo wrote:
ennischanter wrote:As a beginner who has never adjusted my reed. I am nervous to do anything to it.
Maybe you need two reeds...one to play, and one to play around with. So much can be learned by moving the bridle around, trying different types of bridles, and placing them in different areas of the reed with different tensions.

Sounds like a good idea.

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

pudinka wrote:
Howard reed has a stainless staple that is milled into a conical bore.
What does that mean, exactly? Is the staple not flattened at all? If it is, how can it continue to be conical?

I have one of these reeds and while it is very nice/responsive, it is too sharp (by a good semitone) to work in any D chanter that I own.
I don't know what all it means, or what the final shape is like, that's the description that was given in the original thread linked above:
Ceann Cromtha wrote:Brian now takes a cylindrical rod of stainless steel and milles it on a special lathe as if it were a minature chanter. So, it is conical inside (maybe outside as well) and includes perturbations to improve tone. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84995