Survey: Razors

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Question

Multi-blade cartridge/disposable razor
34%
Double edge safety razor
34%
Straight razor
No votes
Electric razor/trimmer
17%
Sword/machete/axe
3%
Other
No votes
Au naturel (Sasquatch/Yeti/Wookie/Hipster)
10%

Total votes: 29

s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Survey: Razors

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:...sick of paying $20 for five blades locked in a cabinet...
The cabinet is entirely because people are aware they're being ripped off and decide to rip back. I've never done it, but I used to work for a guy who made a point of never paying for razor blades. He'd enter a grocery store by the exit, cut through one of the checkout lines and pick up a package of razors on the way. When he payed for his groceries it would be in a pocket.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:The old-fashioned, two-bladed safety razors seem to be pretty much a thing of the past.
I presume that by "two-bladed" you mean the classic safety razor with the single double-edged blade here, unlike below. Yeah, you can't find them by just walking into any old pharmacy any more around here, either; I had to get mine by shopping online. I'm very happy with it, and haven't looked back.
benhall.1 wrote:I remember having a really nice one that used standard, single razors blades. Except that it had two of them. It was actually quite dangerous putting that second blade in. So-called "safety" razor? Pah!
Never even knew such a thing existed until now. Too much futzing around and gimmickry for my liking. I would've sold it to a curio shop or something; I find that one blade does the trick quite well for me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if I should admit this: my facial skin isn't sensitive to razor burn, so my only prep is water.
You mean, no cream or soap? I do that too when I'm in a real hurry. But as long as you're wetting your face anyway, why not slather a bit of your usual face soap? It helps to see what you're doing, the razor will glide better, and it may prolong the life of your blades.

And c'mon. Barbasol is totally fun. A half-second burst gives you a big old pile of fluff to play with.

Witch hazel - yes! I love the very light woody scent, and the slight burn tells you how well you did. A bottle of the stuff lasts forever.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if I should admit this: my facial skin isn't sensitive to razor burn, so my only prep is water.
You mean, no cream or soap?
Yep. Just water. It's a good idea to reapply it often.
MTGuru wrote:But as long as you're wetting your face anyway, why not slather a bit of your usual face soap?
Because I hate it. And I hate getting soap in my mouth.
MTGuru wrote:It helps to see what you're doing...
While I keep general track with my eyes, I actually go more by feel. I can feel whether I'm hitting smooth or stubble. Plus I run my fingers against my face to double-check the results especially if I'm doing a more complete shave.
MTGuru wrote:...the razor will glide better...
It will and it does, but glide is only an aesthetic bonus. Glide does not at all equal or improve shaving efficacy, not by my standards. I'm not inconvenienced that much without the soap, which is just an extra mess that displeases me.
MTGuru wrote:...and it may prolong the life of your blades.
With the rather savage approach I take to my shaving, I'm surprised that you think it would matter much to me. :wink: In a choice between thrift or acceptance, I guess I lean to the more philosophical of the two. What I do know is that my blades seem to last a long time all the same. I'm using Feather brand right now; that might make the difference.
MTGuru wrote:And c'mon. Barbasol is totally fun. A half-second burst gives you a big old pile of fluff to play with.
I've used foam, gels, and I've used brush-and-cake. I've also used hand soap, both liquid and cake. For my money, they all just get in the way.

But Barbasol, yeah. Your retro cred is secure.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:The old-fashioned, two-bladed safety razors seem to be pretty much a thing of the past.
I presume that by "two-bladed" you mean the classic safety razor with the single double-edged blade here, unlike below. Yeah, you can't find them by just walking into a pharmacy any more around here, either; I had to get mine by shopping online. I'm very happy with it, and haven't looked back.
Funny, today I was at Sewards co-op and wondered if they sold razors. They had one triple bladed recycled thingy and a Van Der Hagen safety razor. Over priced and I'd probably take the $4 Sodial DE from amazon if I was to go with an inexpensive DE, but at least they had one and replacement blades.

By the way, which brand did you end up going with?
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:By the way, which brand did you end up going with?
You know, I never really did know. It's like the Van Der Hagen in general design, but so are almost all others. It was made in India, which doesn't necessarily tell me anything, but beyond that there's no brand identity on it, which does tell me it's just basic-level goods. That said, its quality seems to be very good, and it works great. I paid around $29 for it, which hurt a bit but I was making an investment. Prices of $60 and $100 are excessive for my needs in a safety razor no matter how much money I have.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Well I haven't shaved with one, so perhaps my first impression of the one I saw was off. Funny thing is that looking at the different makes including the various clones like the Rick Harrison endorsed razor and they have the same kind of stamping profile as the old Gillette I had. If it is a complete clone of the 1930-50s razors, they should last and work great.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Well I haven't shaved with one, so perhaps my first impression of the one I saw was off. Funny thing is that looking at the different makes including the various clones like the Rick Harrison endorsed razor and they have the same kind of stamping profile as the old Gillette I had. If it is a complete clone of the 1930-50s razors, they should last and work great.
But of course there are differences, and where those lie will be mostly in quality: machining tolerances, balance, grip, secure head, materials, finishing, all that. The higher the price, there also sometimes seems to be more attention paid to the finer points of the business end. I've seen various profiles that are supposed to be special improvements in the blade-to-skin equation. After a point it gets a bit arcane for my blood.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Back when I was just entering shaving age, disposable razors were the common thing. Then we got 2, 3, 4, and (eyeroll) 5 blades. I've tried them all. I've tried them with the little slick strip and the ones that ooze goo. I've tried the razors that vibrate, and the razors that have a wire guard to prevent nicks. I've tried electric shavers, and the fancy-schmancy rotary shavers.

They all pretty much suck. My skin breaks out, and gets rashy and raw, and I never feel like I have a really close shave. So, I started doing the electric trimmer/Don Johnson day-old shave look. Not ideal, but a better look than a neck full of pimples on a 40+ year old man. heh.

Last year, my wife bought me a cheap safety razor and some feather blades, and a jar of proraso. I get several shaves out of the blades--i just went through my first package a couple months ago. She bought me 3. I'll probably be needing more some time around next christmas :D I've barely made a dent in the soap. I'll probably retire before I run out.

I get the smoothest, rash-free, pimple-free shave I've ever gotten in my life.

I use witch hazel, because we already had it, and I'm too lazy/cheap to spend a bunch of dough one some fancy hipster after shave balm :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Razor burn is opportunistic infection from the bacteria that's already on your face - staph, presumably - which takes advantage when the razor breaks your skin. The solution to this is a topical disinfectant. Aftershave is made with all kinds of fancy stinks, but the only active ingredient is alcohol and disinfecting your face is it's only real purpose. That's why the burn/sting. If you don't care what your face smells like, you can save a ton of money by using a $1.99 bottle of 70% USP rubbing alcohol. Spill some in your palm and slap it on your face or splurge on the $2.99 bottle with the pump/spray nozzle. If you're diligent, say goodbye to razor burn.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Wanderer wrote:I use witch hazel, because we already had it, and I'm too lazy/cheap to spend a bunch of dough one some fancy hipster after shave balm :)
MTGuru wrote:Witch hazel - yes! I love the very light woody scent, and the slight burn tells you how well you did. A bottle of the stuff lasts forever.
Now there's someone who knows how to shave! Welcome to CT, nutmeg, witch hazel, we got it all.

http://www.ctgenweb.org/county/comiddle ... INSON.HTML

And notice who's plucking it.
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/article/f ... ch-hazel-2

Present day.
http://www.whazel.com/AboutUs/Our_Rich_Heritage
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I wonder why most men are clean shaven. That just seems like so much bother to me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:Razor burn is opportunistic infection from the bacteria that's already on your face - staph, presumably - which takes advantage when the razor breaks your skin.
I always knew razor burn to be nothing more than simple skin discomfort immediately after shaving - strictly a matter of physical rawness from the scraping, which some of us are more susceptible/sensitive to than others. I have never had an infection due to shaving such as you mention, and I don't know anyone else who has had one either.
mutepointe wrote:I wonder why most men are clean shaven. That just seems like so much bother to me.
The look trumps the bother. Or maybe their job requires it. I don't know about anyone else's motivations, but having tried it I've found I just don't like wearing full-blown facial hair. It's not for me. So until they come up with some kind of inexpensive in-home permanent facial hair removal method that is safe and actually works (which I would totally jump on), I'll just have to keep shaving. But some guys apparently actually like shaving and its rituals, and become connoisseurs of industry product. There are online communities of shaving aficionados where they carry on about it. Me, I just want to get the job done well and leave it at that.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ytliek wrote:Now there's someone who knows how to shave! Welcome to CT, nutmeg, witch hazel, we got it all.
Yes, the Dickinson companies, now combined, are the original producer and, I believe, still the sole supplier of witch hazel to the world. I use the "medicinal" formulation from T.N. Dickinson, available at CVS.
s1m0n wrote:Aftershave is made with all kinds of fancy stinks, but the only active ingredient is alcohol
Well, the above witch hazel is 14% alcohol. So if Wanderer is using that, he has the disinfection part already covered - at least with respect to other after-shaves. And however mysteriously witch hazel extract actually works, it does seem to have a beneficial effect on the smoothness and health of the skin.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:And however mysteriously witch hazel extract actually works, it does seem to have a beneficial effect on the smoothness and health of the skin.
Witch hazel is used in modern preparations primarily for its astringent yet soothing qualities, and it's now known to be an antioxidant, too. Among its many uses, witch hazel and skin care have been hand-in-glove for a long time.
MTGuru wrote:I use the "medicinal" formulation from T.N. Dickinson, available at CVS.
That one's a hydrosol, then? Do you have to refrigerate it?