(OT) Tomorrow's Earth Day and.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Walden wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote: Basically, he says that no one knows why another snake was added to the symbol.
Well, it does give it that Celtic knot look. :)
So maybe the barbaric Celts were responsible!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I think the serpent on the cross was biblical, perhaps Mosaic? But, it was probably an earlier idea borrowed from another culture, like so many of the other stories. I'd be interested to know the history of the old snake on the pole, and why and when it adopted by the AMA. :)
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Lorenzo wrote:I think the serpent on the cross was biblical, perhaps Mosaic? But, it was probably an earlier idea borrowed from another culture, like so many of the other stories. I'd be interested to know the history of the old snake on the pole, and why and when it adopted by the AMA. :)
You're right, Lorenzo, the snake on a pole is Mosaic. In the book of Numbers, the people of Israel were struck with a plague of poisonous snakes while wandering in the wilderness. Moses asked God what to do. "So Moses made a snake out of bronze and attached it to the top of a pole. Whenever those who were bitten looked at the bronze snake, they recovered." [Num. 21:9 NLV] Hence, the image of a snake has come to represent healing. As to how the AMA came to adopt the symbol, I can't help you.

Another post noted that somewhere along the line the symbol picked up an extra snake, giving it a Celtic knot look. According to legend, St. Patrick drove all of the snakes out of Ireland. Maybe that's where the displaced snakes went???
"Shall I tell you where the men are who believe most in themselves?....The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums." -- G. K. Chesterson

J.M.Payne
Oviedo, Florida
energy

Post by energy »

jim stone wrote:Hi, Energy,

Perhaps Walden is right in suggesting
that your reading of what
I said is a bit uncharitable?
This post is long overdue, I'm sorry for that. I've been spending a horrificly small amount of time on the board lately. Probably burnout from writing so many long posts...

Jim, I'm sorry if I came down too hard on you. I don't want ot come across as overly combative. I unashamedly admit that I'm touchy when it comes to Christian doctrine and especially the interpretation of the meaning of the cross, so that's why I was "a bit uncharitable". So, in short, please accept my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Must say, a lot of stuff has happened on this thread since I checked it last...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. You really made me think, in fact.
On we go. Best, Jim
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Jefferson wrote:According to legend, St. Patrick drove all of the snakes out of Ireland.
Yeah, I like that guy.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You should hear what snakes say about him, though.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Birds and snakes are probably the oldest creatures connected with divine power. They were particularly associated with the gods and goddesses of the underworld, probably because the snakes lived in the ground. The snake shedding it's skin was seen as leaving behind the old and becoming new again...kind of a symbol of regeneration. There probably never were any snakes in Ireland, but the Celts brought with them a cult of the snake. So, the story of St. Patrick banishing the snakes from old Ireland was probably an allegory for ridding Ireland of the cult.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Binky the Wonder Possum
is a more recent divinity.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

jim stone wrote:Binky the Wonder Possum
is a more recent divinity.
Image+Image= :-?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Walden wrote:Image
Now that reminds of my divine aunt, around Christmas every year! :D Ah, if all divinity was only that flawless...