Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Ebay Items

Post by ennischanter »

Never heard of Bruce Du Ve, nice looking chanter!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Bruce lived in Ireland for years making pipes. Gay McKeon played one of his sets for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO68hUIpUdw

Tommy
Seth

Post by Seth »

BigDavy wrote:Daye half set

David

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first set and based on my budget and having no experience, I had resigned myself to buying a practice set first. Can anyone offer opinions on David Daye's sets? To my untrained eye, the above listing looks like a great deal. Would it make more sense for a noob to buy a practice set only first and worry about drones later?
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a half if it's within your budget. Just turn the drones off while you are getting acquainted with the chanter, bag and bellows. When you are ready, the drones will be there for you.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Seth wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first set and based on my budget and having no experience, I had resigned myself to buying a practice set first. Can anyone offer opinions on David Daye's sets? To my untrained eye, the above listing looks like a great deal. Would it make more sense for a noob to buy a practice set only first and worry about drones later?
I've got a Daye half set that I've been learning with for the last ~9 months. From my perspective it's been an incredible purchase. David's reeds from my experience "just work" out of the box, and I've had absolutely no trouble with the chanter after a bit of tape to get a couple of notes right in tune. I've heard better sounding chanters but I've also heard a lot worse, and for the money it's incredible value. I'm still fiddling a little with the drone reeds trying to get them to stay rock steady over a range of pressure but they are really beautiful sounding drones with a gorgeous deep baritone. I think having a set of drones is brilliant even if I mainly practice with just the chanter.

I reckon that half set looks like a steal, and I'd thoroughly recommend anyone looking for a set of pipes on a budget would be crazy not to try to get them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I think that it is not a bad idea to start (if possible) with a (reliably working) half set cause you´ll learn the right bellows-technique from the start. Otherwise you might get used to a "short-breathing" bellows-technique instead of pulling out your bellows completely and will have trouble adopting to a set with drones (that of course consumes more air than a practise set).
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Sloan full set in D - UK only.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

BigDavy wrote:Sloan full set in D - UK only.

David
UK only...... :tantrum: :swear:
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

cbarber

Post by cbarber »

For sale at cut price (as I need the money!) a full set of pipes in D by Ray Sloan. These pipes have been refurbished with a new Kelleher Trad bag as the old one had been “played out”. The chanter has 3 keys and has a brand new reed from Brian Howard (cost £50), one of the best reed makers around, and is in good tune, although needs a bit of playing in, The drones and regulators are all in perfect pitch. The bellows are not brilliant and are an early RS design but are included, however I will include the bellows that I’ve been using (from an old Bruce du Ve practice set), as well, in the price. Included in the price is a metal carrying case and a number of spare chanter/regulator reeds

You can see them being played (badly, I might add) on: http://youtu.be/GlqvLvanOhY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141087574103? ... 1555.l2649

Please note that contrary to the message on eBay, I will post abroad! The original listing refused to let me change this but now I've figured out how to do it!!
cbarber

Post by cbarber »

ennischanter wrote:

David

Please note I will post abroad - my ignorance of how to use ebay made it look as though it was UK only!!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Hi Chris, I noticed in one of your vids on youtube two dogs playing and one of them is very similar to my own dog that I got in a rescue centre . They were never able to tell me at the centre what kind of breeds my dog came from. Do you know or have a guess, what breeds of dogs does my mutt come from ? Here he is.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
cbarber

Post by cbarber »

rorybbellows wrote:Hi Chris, I noticed in one of your vids on youtube two dogs playing and one of them is very similar to my own dog that I got in a rescue centre . They were never able to tell me at the centre what kind of breeds my dog came from. Do you know or have a guess, what breeds of dogs does my mutt come from ? Here he is.

RORY
Hi Rory

My two dogs are Border Collies, there looks to be quite a lot of Border Collie in yours, he/she looks a real character!

Chris
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

cbarber wrote:
ennischanter wrote:

David

Please note I will post abroad - my ignorance of how to use ebay made it look as though it was UK only!!
:)

westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

Watch out for this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uilleann-pipe ... TM:GB:1123

I contacted the seller through eBay to see if he'd ship to the US, seller replied that he would and asked if I'd like to see more pictures. I said sure and e-mailed the address he gave me. He replied back very fast with a bunch of nice pictures, and an offer make a quick sale at a good bargain. That's when my scammer senses started tingling.

He said if we agree to this price he'll contact the "ebay team" to send me details for the transaction. A little while later I got an invoice from ebay@payments-invoices.co.uk, which is a total scam. It is scary because they had a good description, and a good amount of quality pictures. I was almost bamboozled. I've reported the auction to ebay, so hopefully it will get taken down.
john

Post by john »

I was surprised to see these with such a low starting point because I've heard that joe kennedy has a good reputation and a fair waiting list, so anyone selling would perhaps be able to stand firm on a price that was near enough what the maker sells for

good that someone is keeping abreast of these scams