Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
irishrosa82
antispam: No

Post by irishrosa82 »

:) Once again, everyone's been patient with my newbie questions.

I looked at the box.net site and I'll be able to do it myself. I guess I have a phobia about viruses and etc., because my kids' high school computer system got infected and when they send homework files home, we 'caught' the virus.

I'll post the clip on this thread when I have time, and I'd really appreciate anyone's comments. Without a teacher, the forum is kind of a surrogate coach!

:)
irishrosa82

Post by irishrosa82 »

Thanks for the help with regard to posting clips. When I have a chance I'd love to post something -- I value the advice I've seen here and it's offered in such a nice spirit! There's so much experience on this site it's amazing.

If this is a repeat post I apologize. Sometimes the forum crashes on my computer, not sure why...

Thanks,
IrishRosa

(ask me how I got my username, sometime!!) :lol:
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

John,

Lovely playing! I really like the sound and flow of the single jigs. By the way, I have R&R #4117, a cousin of yours. I'll try to post a few tunes with it in the coming days. I'm curious to discover any similarities between the two flutes. Think I will try and learn that jig set tomorrow...
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Okay John,

here's a quick run through of toss the feathers on my R&R. Not really warmed up and I'm a bit congested with a cold, so keep that in mind.
Arbo

http://public.box.net/imnotirish73470
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

irishrosa82 wrote:Hi,

I'd like to try to post my first clip, but I'm curious about the software out there. File sharing can ruin a computer---viruses, etc.---can anyone share their thoughts about that before I try?

Thanks.
You're just uploading an mp3 to a server. And then we are listening to it. You don't even have to download it if you don't want because they provide a little player. No different than visiting youtube or something like that.

Box.net is a really great deal and they don't bombard you with ads or make you have to click all over the place just to get to the file.

John, I liked your new tunes. You have a creamy sound and a happy feel.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Thanks for the additional compliments, y'all. Creamy? I can definitely live with that. Hope it's not too fattening, though.

Arbo, I tried to give a listen to your clip, but when I click on the link it's asking me to log in to your box rather than showing me the shared file. Was it you that had this same issue up-thread a ways?

My Rudall is #4009, so probably more of a sibling than a cousin to yours. Definitely they would have been made in the same year, probably only months or weeks apart.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sorry John,

this should have been the link...

Arbo
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I aspire to creamy. Unfortunately, all I get is windy. Sometimes a truly clear and powerful note comes out and then I am usually frightened out of my skin! How did I do that? Where did that come from? Try as I may, I can never repeat it. :-?
~ Diane
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Arbo, I listened to your clip. Sounds nice! Your sound on the Rudall is a bit darker than my apparently creamy sound, but that's probably due more to differences in our playing styles than to differences in the flutes. The characteristic focused tone of a Rudall is readily apparent in your recording, to my ears anyway. So, are you still planning to sell this flute? You sound good on it.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Maybe other people don't think you sound creamy and it's just me.
~ Diane
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

There's only a scant two letters of difference between creamy and crummy. I'll take creamy any day!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks John. I am holding onto the flute for now. Too much out there in the market, and I really feel that the repairs on the flute are somewhat off-putting to potential buyers. I should look and function so well at 160+ years.
Anyway, it's a great player despite a few cosmetic adjustments.

Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I saw a recent thread on the session.org discussing having multiple flutes in a session. Then I remembered that I had recorded myself playing along with with myself as a duet on a set of reels. I think I did this as a way to practice playing along to another flute, but realistically, I kinda know what I'm going to do in a given set, but hey, there are always surprises... anyway, here's a first attempt that I recorded a while ago. I'm sorry, but I don't recall which flute I was playing at the time. The set is called: elsie brogan's set.
Arbo

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice one, Arbo. I haven't followed that The Session discussion (don't spend much time over there) so don't know its drift, but personally I love the sound of two flutes together. Have done ever since I first heard the Cimarosa Concerto for two flutes back in my teens, not long after I got interested in listening to flutes and before I started playing.......

Your recording works well for me (if a bit reverb-y - sorry, old hat, that point). Nice sounds. One playing criticism if I may - the phrasing is a bit jerky - more flow/longer, more sustained phrases would be nice (not less rhythm, but better breath management).

BTW, has anyone listened to the two-flute clips from a session I stuck up a week or so ago? No comments received! I stick clips on here for feedback too! I dish it out - I can take it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Jem,
I went back and listened again to Mofa'r and Welsh Tune. I liked them both a lot. The first one I preferred more, as I thought the pace, and the counterpoint worked better together. Sometimes the Welsh tune got lost, or I got lost inside of it. The sound on the flute(s) is great (given the setting). I'm not sure about the timing of the glass clinking...

All in all, great! What flute are you playing?
Arbo