Blackwood sensitization

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.hobbywoods.com/wood_toxicity.htm

http://www.city-net.com/albertfp/toxic.htm

It appears that you're right, Gordon. Terms like irritants and sensitizers speaks to the way in which the reactions occur. Still, I could have sworn that somewhere I came across a distinction drawn on this...couldn't find it this time, though. :)
sturob

Post by sturob »

Sensitization is allergy. I don't know where the term comes from, exactly, or even why that term is in vogue.

It's kinda like calling asthma "reactive airways disease." Asthma is asthma.

Honestly, I think the term sensitization may be used by non-allopaths to put forth their idea that it's somehow not really an allergy. Also, saying something is an allergy might make people not buy into expensive DEsensitization therapies, like shots, which are of questionable benefit anyway.

I guess I have a stripe, but I don't know if I have more than one. I'm a doctor but I'm just an anesthesiologist. So it's not TOTALLY smoke blown out my behind, whence I speak. But I'm not an immunologist.

I will say that it DOES chap my hide when patients tell me they're allergic to Medicine X, and I ask, what does Medicine X do to you? "Oh, it makes me vomit." "Oh, it makes me sleepy." Or whatnot. Allergy is a very well-defined reaction, which starts off at what everyone describes as their reactions to blackwood, into hives, into airway swelling and bronchospasm. A queasy tummy isn't an allergy.

Off soapbox. :)

Stuart
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oh yeah, if you want me to go into the technical whole thing of What Is An Allergy, I'll do it, but I won't bore the list by doing it if no one wants it.

Stuart
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Fine by me, Sturob! I'm always interested in that sort of thing.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Hang on, didn't forget . . . working on a submission deadline.

More to follow.

Stuart
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cool. 8)

Just a bit more info from my experience: I tried allaying the irritation w/ hydrocortizone ointment and Benadryl gel -alternately- and I don't think either of them did a whit to help. I think tincture of time is the ticket.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Okely dokely!

I was just going to go over the basics of the allergy thing, in case folks were interested.

Allergy is an immune response. Basically, when someone is allergic to something, it means that the body recognizes that something as foreign and reacts to it. The thing to which we react is called an antigen or an allergen. The idea of sensitization is that if your body has never seen a particular allergen, it doesn't have the mechanism to react to it . . . let's look a little deeper.

So, you put your blackwood flute to your lips. Lips and chins are relatively thin areas, moreso than say the back or the soles of your feet. Your skin is oily and porous, and perhaps moist, and various organic substances in the blackwood come into contact with macrophages, which are a kind of white blood cell which is part of the first line of defense against INVASION! When macrophages circulate in the blood, they're called monocytes. So, anyhoo, the macrophage says, "Who, what's this?" and eats the partcle or substance or whatever . . . it eats the allergen. The thing which is eaten (just like it would swallow up bacteria) is processed and presented to the T cells (lymphocytes, CD4 to be exact). Those T cells then can influence other white blood cells, called B cells or plasmacytes to make antibodies against the substance recognized as foreign. The B cells then proliferate, make bunches of the antibodies (specifically IgE), and these antibodies become incorporated into the host (body) defense system. Often they become part of the outside of mast cells(in tissues) and eosinophils(in the blood), cells which are then programmed specifically against that particular allergen.

So you clean your flute and put it away.

You take it out again the next day, and put it to your lips. Again, you're exposed to the allergens in the timber. But what's different . . . hmm, your body's sensitized to these allergens. So you can get a more rapid response. What's the response? Well, those mast cells and eosinophils can release histamine and other inflammatory mediators which can cause local swelling, redness, itching . . . hives . . . general badness.

Sometimes allergic reactions merit treatment. Antihistamines such as Benadryl(diphenhydramine), Allegra(fexofenadine), Chlor-trimeton(chlorpheniramine maleate), Claritin(loratadine) . . . there are many others . . . block the receptors that react to histamine. Steroids (prednisone, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone) have a more broad effect and disrupt quite a bit of the immune response by stopping cells from making various proteins (too complicated for a whistle message board, I think). Other agents, like Zantac(ranitidine) are also antihistamines, but they block the receptor more common in the stomach . . . but they also have some place in the treatment of severe allergy.

What about those stupid TV commercials saying that you should use Antihistamine X(I think it's Zyrtec) because it's the only one "approved" for indoor and outdoor allergens? Poppycock! An antihistamine is an antihistamine, use the one that works for you with the least side effects.

So those are the basics. These antibodies the body makes are interesting little things, and only recognize a part of the allergen. So, if you're allergic to blackwood, it's likely that any rosewood would be problematic, since their allergens are probably similar. It also sounds like there may be at least a little cross-reactivity with cocus, but who knows.

I hope this helps. :)

Stuart
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That certainly sheds light on the issue for me, Stuart. Thanks.
Doirlinn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Doirlinn »

Thanks Stuart - fascinating stuff