Non- piping talents

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pudinka
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

...in between visits to see how Pudinka is doing on building his house. Last time I was there we had about 10 pipers and David Quinn, so Pudink Manor is becoming a piping Mecca!
...right. While some of this is true (10 + DMQ) let's use a lower case M for this here - mecca. I said "honest house" to avoid pretentions, if that can really be said/done.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

Middle English, Old English, Latin, Old French, paleography and codicology, salsa, East Coast Swing and Lindy Hop. You want to know about Chaucer (or Jane Austen), I'm your gal. Plus I make a mean Santa Barbara salad.

I can also hurl a Kong-on-a-rope about 200 feet. The joke at the dog park is that when this becomes an olympic sport I may qualify for the US national women's team.

KAD
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

KAD wrote:
I can also hurl a Kong-on-a-rope about 200 feet. The joke at the dog park is that when this becomes an olympic sport I may qualify for the US national women's team.

KAD
My dog just read your post, and he wants to know how adept you are at tossing a frisbee? :wink:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
KAD wrote:

KAD
My dog just read your post, and he wants to know how adept you are at tossing a frisbee? :wink:
:lol:

I throw frisbee! I'm sometimes accused of cutting the lawn, and cut the hedges once in a while..
Last edited by upiper71 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAD

Post by KAD »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
KAD wrote:

KAD
Terrible, actually. That's why I throw the Kong instead. :D

KAD
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I see a few other cyclists out there! I only do it for fun now but I was a regional champion in the UK once upon a time. One of my 25 mile time trial course records stood from 1986 until a couple of years ago.

I play a few other instruments, earn a living as an IT consultant and write (pity typing isn't one of my talents).

Other interests are large format photography - making pictures out of stuff like platinum and palladium.

My dog will not fetch so I haven't developed any exceptional throwing skills.
Simon
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

KAD wrote: I can also hurl a Kong-on-a-rope about 200 feet.
KAD
Holy smokes! Were you a trebuchet in a previous lifetime?

T
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

fun thread -

Besides piping....

Surfing, sailing, mountain biking, penny whistles, building banjos,
mandolins and dobros, playing old time banjo, doing structural stress and dynamics
analysis of spacecraft hardware (my day job).
...and trying to keep my wife happy. :o
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I can do a stunningly realistic imitation of Louis Armstrong (singing, that is; I haven't yet managed to learn how to imitate his trumpet).
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

KAD wrote: I can also hurl a Kong-on-a-rope about 200 feet.
Is that with your bag arm or your bellows arm?
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

tommykleen wrote:I glue damn seeds to a damn board.

http://www.cropart.com/dtomklei.dir/cagtomk1.htm

T
That's big business in these here parts. Those of you who've made it up here for the tionol may have seen some of Tommy's masterpieces hanging at the house. Lovely stuff. The crop art exhibition at our State Fair is massive.

I think it's time someone rendered Seamus Ennis in seed. It's what he would have wanted.
glands

Post by glands »

I glue damn seeds to a damn board.
That's some pretty damn seedy art!

Done any seedy nudes? :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tommykleen wrote:I glue damn seeds to a damn board.

http://www.cropart.com/dtomklei.dir/cagtomk1.htm

T
I seen these fine examples of crop art, and I am here to tell ya' they are absolutely stunning up close. I'd like to see a rendering of Seamus Ennis or Willie Clancy done in this medium. Brilliant stuff Tommy!!! :thumbsup:
steph_c

Post by steph_c »

vcolby wrote:
b) Soaring 30 feet on a CR250 on a Sunday afternoon.
Uhhhh...Evil Knievel where do you partake of this sort of thing? Or is there some non-motorpickle CR250 involved?

Mine's a Kawasaki Ninja 250...though usually I have at least one wheel on the road at all times. We should organize a ride.

I play ice-hockey, ultimate frisbee, and I run my own engineering consulting racket errr company. I speak Italian and German pretty fluently and I like to plant stuff too.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

My day gig is doing Behaviour Therapy with people with severely challenging behaviours. The band takes up alot of my time as well.

Aside from playing a number of other instruments I've been doing Martial Arts in various forms for over 20 years. I have a 2nd degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won (Korean National Martial Art Assoc.).

My latest craze is Tai Chi - partly because it's something my wife also enjoys doing. She also enjoys it when I participate in her gardening projects - as long as I get to plant pumpkins I count myself in!