Boehm flute tips?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

I thought the standard reply 'round here regarding typewriter questions was along the lines of

You could go to http://www.larrykrantz.com/
There is a lot of information there including a forum that is populated by Boehm players.

:wink:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
mcdafydd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

GaryKelly wrote:I thought the standard reply 'round here regarding typewriter questions was along the lines of

You could go to http://www.larrykrantz.com/
There is a lot of information there including a forum that is populated by Boehm players.

:wink:
And then I thought the standard reply to that was, "if Joannie Madden got online and started offering suggestions, would anyone tell her to go to larrykrantz.com" :)

On a side note, I do read that list too, but there just aren't enough tradheads. Andra Bohnet and Adrienne Greenbaum are probably the two most active ones that I'm aware of. I wish there were more silver flute players that played trad instead of or, at least, in addition to Mozart, Bach, and Debussy!!!

And of course the standard reply to THAT should be, "but then everyone would have to start buying louder simple system flutes" :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Andra Bohnet at Terry McGee's

Adrienne Greenbaum has wood...
Dana

Post by Dana »

Andra plays a Skip Healy flute. In fact, he used to have pictures of special adaptations he designed for her flute on his website.

Dana
mcdafydd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

He still does here:

http://www.skiphealy.com/instrument/keyed_main.htm

It's the "Open-C model". Her name is mentioned in the caption and the flute pictured is the one you mentioned. I played it at Boxwood last year and loved it. It is just what it says, an easy way to transition between the two key systems. The C thumbhole on it was much larger than the one on my Tony Dixon and it gave a rich, resonant note.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Dana wrote:Andra plays a Skip Healy flute. In fact, he used to have pictures of special adaptations he designed for her flute on his website.

Dana
You are tryin' to take the fun outta this... :D
Terry does mention Mithril...
but not Skip
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Is the C natural hole on simple system flutes that have one
in more or less the
same place as the C natural key on Boehm flutes?
There seems to be no problem with the location of
the latter, for me anyhow. That might really be a
help on a simple system, if it's comfortable.
Denny

Post by Denny »

But you cannot control it. This is a dangerous time for you, when you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force. -Obi-Wan-
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ah, I see there is a thread devoted to this question, more or less,
'Why didn't the C natural thumb hole become popular?'
Conflicting opinions of the comfort of the thumb
hole on simple system flutes.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Denny wrote:
Dana wrote:Andra plays a Skip Healy flute. In fact, he used to have pictures of special adaptations he designed for her flute on his website.

Dana
Oh yeah? Wanna fight about it? :devil:

Looks plenty fun to me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Dana wrote:
Denny wrote:

Dana
Oh yeah? Wanna fight about it? :devil:

Looks plenty fun to me.
Naw...
I just like playin'
...and pokin' sacred cows.

keyless delrin
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jim stone wrote:Is the C natural hole on simple system flutes that have one
in more or less the
same place as the C natural key on Boehm flutes?
There seems to be no problem with the location of
the latter, for me anyhow. That might really be a
help on a simple system, if it's comfortable.
I made a comment in the other thread about C natural thumbholes. If the C natural thumbhole has the same diameter as the first two holes on the flute, then the position of the thumbhole will be halfway between them somewhere on the side or bottom of the flute, a position that I don't find very comfortable. I tend to position my thumb directly under the first fingerhole. With the shorter, 6-hole pvc flutes that I am used to playing, this seems to be a balanced position for me. For longer flutes with exhaust ports I am sure that the balance postion for the thumb may be in a different place. To correct what was inferred from my previous comments about adjusting the position of the thumbhole, yes, it is possible to move the hole slightly up the flute by decreasing the diameter of the hole, and conversely, you can move it slightly down the flute by making the thumbhole larger in diameter. As has been said before, the disadvantage of having the thumbhole too small is that the quality of the note is diminished. I am guessing that some of my reaction to a C natural thumbhole is that I didn't learn to play the flute that way, so now it doesn't feel natural for me. I have no doubt that I could retrain myself to hold my thumb in that postion and feel right at home there.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I'd try a few other brands of flutes while you're at it. I've tried several brands, and Gemeinhardt was at the bottom of the list of flutes that I'd get... for the money, I like Jupiter and Yamaha. If ya have masses of cash, Sankyos are nice. If you have access to the Federal Reserve Bank, talk to Jessie and she'll guide you better than I can. :D
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I'm glad I did the rental. I have one of the old flutes
the Boehm flute replaced and now I've been playing
the replacement. I was partly interested in understanding
the evolution of flutes.

I've read that Boehm really created
a new instrument and I think I see why that's said.
The notes are homogenous in tone, most everything
is spot on, it's got lots of volume and lots of range.
Not bad for 26 dollars. Now back to different
timbres, flat notes, finger stretches, limited range, less
volume and open holes! So far that's more satisfying
for me. I like the taste of wild strawberries....
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Denny wrote: Bb minor? You're talking 5 flats on a simple system!

It's not a big deal on Boehm. :lol:
Its a cinch on my (simple system) C# bansuri.

BTW, more directly on topic:
I was sharing some music with a friend who plays Boehm (and I was playing Irish and bansuri). Sometime during the session we switched flutes and I found the Boehm embouchure so so easy. Kindergarten. She had to show me the fingering and then I played her Boehm with "bansuri effect".

Now I am not saying I'm fantastic but you folks sure are great at beating up a flea mountain. I guess monogamous cultures have problems with variegated kissing styles in the one day.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit