expensive versus cheap whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emtor

interesting

Post by emtor »

. . . but it is perfectly adequate for all sort of uses in all sort of situations.
-Judging from the soundclip I totally agree, but the Feadóg in your image looks different from Feadógs avaliable here. The ones I buy are brass with green fipples. I've never seen any with a blue fipple before . . . very interesting indeed.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I don't really think the colour makes much of a difference, the green head/brass ones are the same model and work the same but I prefer the nickel which happens to come with the blue head. I have two of the very first model which are a bit less focussed but work well enough.

Again, I am not stirring just to be contrary but as I pointed out, I just will not buy into the fact they all, by definition, have problems to the extend shown in the soundclips in the initial post or any other declaration of them being (near) unplayable as they pop up on the forums. I hope the clip shows where I am coming from (always get the few mutterings from somewhere that I should put the whistle where my mouth is play one of these 'unplayable' whistles myself, well, there you go lads).
If you can (and I don't doubt that you can) improve on them go for it and fair play to you.
In the same manner I have nothing against expensive whistles per se (although I find some hideous) but it's a myth they will make you sound better. If you can't play the thing well you will still sound like you can't play on an expensive whistle. If you can play you may, or may not, prefer the tone of an expensive whistle but it's never imperative you should have one to play and sound well.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote:Image

250 hits since I posted that clip but no reaction from the expensive/tweak side of the discussion?
except for the usual digs and cheap shots in other threads of course

Point taken so?

Well, I've always come down on the "I prefer the sound some high end whistles". I think your clip sounds nice, and perhaps not as scratchy as some cheapies I've heard. But certainly within the realm of the average whistle, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Again though, just not the sound I prefer. I figured there was no point in commenting since I've already pretty much said that before ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I like whistles. I have some inexpensive whistles that I really enjoy playing; I have some whistles that are more expensive that I also really enjoy playing.

I don't see this as an "either / or" situation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

There's room for both.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My limited experience tends to confirm one of Peter's points. I have about 40 cheapies and they are all playable and nearly all just fine. There are some differences among same makes, e.g., I have one Faedog that really sings and another that's a bit raspy throughout. And, of course, the legendary Walton Golden Tone C, which I maintain if still in production would eliminate the need to seek out any other or more expensive C whistle. Other than that, like James, I love all my whistles and don't much care who plays which other than for keeping up the chatter at times.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

While I've expressed skeptism about inexpensive whistles, I keep trying. In part because of this thread I bought an old Mc Cullough & Pigott Feadog on e-bay last week ($13 with shipping). It arrived yestersday and within 10 seconds I knew it was the best cheap whistle I've ever played. Good tone, not pure. Fine balance between octaves. From 1st octave D to 2nd octave b, every note plays cleanly with no raspiness.

I've gone to the 4 yr old thread on Feadog models, but all the pics are gone. Here are a couple of pics. Can some one tell me which Feadog it is and does anyone have advice on cleaning it up. I've already washed it and removed the thickest crud. It appears that the body is copper with worn gold paint to make it look like brass. Also, about how old is it.

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Mark I, Mark II, Mark II.5, Mark III

You have a Mark I.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wow, that whistle looks toxic! :o

Peter, I love the clip, so inspiring.
That's exactly the sound I look for in a whistle, no harm done though, for others who prefer something else.

I am interested in the toothmarks ~ do you generally bite the whistle to keep it in place while playing? I rest mine between my lips. Is there an advantage that I am not aware of?

M
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

God no, as I said, it's my son's. When he was eleven he used to bite them but I think he's gone off it by now (two years after). Image

Nobody by the way gives me stars for playing a tune well either Image
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't find stars!!!!

M :party:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Not that I was looking for them but thank you Mary

ImageImageImage
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwinterfield, your Feadóg there looks to be a Mark I, judging from Jerry's models shown.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Nanohedron wrote:dwinterfield, your Feadóg there looks to be a Mark I, judging from Jerry's models shown.
These show up on eBay every once in awhile.

I picked one up a couple of years ago. They're definitely a nice whistle to have.

Another good one to pick up when they show up on eBay is a James Galway whistle (black whistlehead on a nickel tube). These appear to be current model Generations, but they were made when the injection molding tooling was still fresh, so they tend to be better quality than the Generations made now.

Best wishes,
Jerry
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

Mark I's are the best out-of-the-box Feadog whistles in my opinion. I'm glad to see you found one, dwinterfield!
I bought mine 15 years ago in Ireland (2 actually) and I've been looking off and on for a replacement since. The ones I have are only sightly better looking than the one in your picture. I've no idea how to clean them up. I've been afraid to alter them too much for fear that they won't play as well.
Looking forward to a response on how someone would go about reviving the patina, though.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Peter Laban wrote:Image

250 hits since I posted that clip but no reaction from the expensive/tweak side of the discussion?
except for the usual digs and cheap shots in other threads of course

Point taken so?

[img]
Peter, I thought my quote was a reaction from the expensive/tweak side of the discussion. I am often surprised at how easily Chiffers get offended by each other's comments--I thought we were all "whistlin buddies" here. I had not meant my point to be "unbelikevably condescending." I apologize if I offended--I play jigs too. I was just searching for a reason why people prefer instruments that are obviously manufactured without individual attention when there are better (and affordable--at least the tweaks) out there.
If I bought an electric guitar I would not get the set they sell at the super Wal-Mart, unless I could afford nothing better, or unless I did not know if I wanted to play one for long or not. This is the way I see whistling--but maybe I'm missing something. I'm not in with the IT crowd--the nearest session is too far, and on a Sunday, my busiest day.

Love to all, Riverman
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.