Favorite Irish Flute Album (CD)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Favorite Irish Flute Album (CD)

Post by paddler »

Hey, I bought several CDs based on recommendations in this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Conal O Grada's "Cnoc Bui" is fantastic! And I've really enjoyed "The Gloup" by Mark Roberts too. So thanks for suggesting those!

One of my personal favorite CDs is "Beo!" by Jean-Michel Veillon and Yvon Riou. While its only partially "Irish" I hope it counts as a legitimate response to this thread. It contains a diverse selection of traditional Irish, Breton and other tunes, including dances and slow airs. Jean-Michel Veillon's mastery of the instrument across this wide variety of tunes and styles of playing is truly astounding. (Is he really from this planet?) I have most of his CDs and I think this is the best one - difficult to get, but well worth the struggle.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Cool, Harry Bradley 8) .

Cheers,

J
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

I’d like to bring “Jody’s Heaven” to peoples attention. It features Jack Gilder on flute and concertina, Dale Russ on the fiddle and Junji Shirota on Guitar. It was made over ten years ago. I find myself playing it a lot . I’d never heard of them until I went to a house concert that featured Dale on fiddle, and Tom Creegan on the pipes, and Mike Saunders playing guitar. Dale had a few CDs he was selling and this being one of them. I think it’s a real treasure! http://pweb.jps.net/~jgilder/jody7.html

Tjones
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Tjones wrote:I’d like to bring “Jody’s Heaven” to peoples attention. It features Jack Gilder on flute and concertina, Dale Russ on the fiddle and Junji Shirota on Guitar. It was made over ten years ago. I find myself playing it a lot . I’d never heard of them until I went to a house concert that featured Dale on fiddle, and Tom Creegan on the pipes, and Mike Saunders playing guitar. Dale had a few CDs he was selling and this being one of them. I think it’s a real treasure! http://pweb.jps.net/~jgilder/jody7.html

Tjones
FYI---Jack is a local here in San Francisco. Had a lesson with him. Great player--extremely knowledgeable and deeply steeped in the tradition. He has a local band that's played together for I think decades called Tipsy House that also has some excellent CD's. Look up Tipsy House, you'll find him. He also frequents the Proctology forum here, and is Phantom Button on session.org.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

'Seanchairde' by Dermy Diamond (fiddle), Tara Diamond (flute), and Daithi Sproule (guitar) is my new favourite. It was just launched here at the Frankie Kennedy school and it's spectacular.
William Bajzek
drewr

Post by drewr »

monkey587 wrote:'Seanchairde' by Dermy Diamond (fiddle), Tara Diamond (flute), and Daithi Sproule (guitar) is my new favourite. It was just launched here at the Frankie Kennedy school and it's spectacular.

Any idea on how to order this CD? A search on Google didn't really turn up anything at all...

-
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Wanted to mention that several of these albums are available on emusic.com, a legal mp3-purchase service that lets you download 75 songs per month for US$19.99 (comes out to $0.27 per song).

I just grabbed Conal O Grada's Cnoc Bui, Grey Larsen's Dark of the Moon, Desi Wilkinson's Shady Woods, and Joe Burke's The Tailor's Choice. They also have albums (I've already grabbed) from Matt Molloy, Kevin Crawford, Laurence Nugent, and Paddy Carty.

A heck of a deal ...

Walt
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

For my money, and if asked to choose two albums to take to a deserted island, they would have to be Josie McDermott's "darby's Farewell" and Paddy Carty's "music of Ireland" albums. The latter I recently re-acquired...the former I owned a long time ago but cannot find for sale these days. "Darby's Farewell' was the first album of Irish music ( it is not just flute) that I owned, and although not my introduction to Irish music it was nevertheless my introduction to truly great Irish music. I am sure that I am one of many who owe a huge debt to this truly remarkable musician.
I have read many names here of more contemporary musicians who I am not familiar with. I shall be pursuing their recordings enthusiastically. Thank you for that.
A couple of other flute players that don't seem to get mentioned much in these pages and who are definitely worth a listen are Michael Tubridy, formerly of the Chieftains ( who bore me ) who is, like the rest of that crew, an excellent musician in his own right. Tubridy's solo album 'The Eagles Whistle" is superb...again I once owned it but can't find a copy these days. The other is Frankie Gavin, why he is not more universally acknowledged as one of the great flute players is beyond me. "up And Away" is a great flute album that does justice to a long ago style of playing, one that should be of particular significance to all the North Americans on this forum.
Molloy seems as always to be the favourite choice as far as I can see from the postings here. The trouble with Molloy is that like all geniuses he poses as much of a threat to the tradition that fostered him as he contributes to it. I guess that's what genius is...and yet think of those others.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

drewr wrote:
monkey587 wrote:'Seanchairde' by Dermy Diamond (fiddle), Tara Diamond (flute), and Daithi Sproule (guitar) is my new favourite. It was just launched here at the Frankie Kennedy school and it's spectacular.

Any idea on how to order this CD? A search on Google didn't really turn up anything at all...

-
I imagine it'll appear soon. It was released at the end of december, but I'm pretty sure I saw copies for sale at a shop in Galway on Monday already. I imagine it'll turn up soon.
William Bajzek
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

William Bajzek
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

lazyleft wrote: The trouble with Molloy is that like all geniuses he poses as much of a threat to the tradition that fostered him as he contributes to it. I guess that's what genius is...and yet think of those others.
Can O'Worms, and should probably become its own thread. I don't really agree with you, though. Did Charlie Christian damage traditional dixieland jazz? :devil:

To stay on topic, Molloy's 'Heathery Breeze' is a current favorite of mine.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

One of my favourite album is "The Fire Aflame", by Matt Molloy, Liam O'Flynn and Sean Keane. It is not flute alone, but it has a great selection of tunes and an incredible sound.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

[ A couple of other flute players that don't seem to get mentioned much in these pages and who are definitely worth a listen are Michael Tubridy, formerly of the Chieftains ( who bore me ) who is, like the rest of that crew, an excellent musician in his own right. Tubridy's solo album 'The Eagles Whistle" is superb...again I once owned it but can't find a copy these days.

I love Tubridy's playing....didn't know he had a solo album.

Listening to Cathal McConnell these days, like him on flute and whistle...a friend just gave me the first Boys of The Lough album, liking that. Also Seamus Egan on the first Solas cd. Nice flute playing on Julie Fowlis' cd's also; in heavy rotation in the truck.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Adrian W. wrote:[ A couple of other flute players that don't seem to get mentioned much in these pages and who are definitely worth a listen are Michael Tubridy, formerly of the Chieftains ( who bore me ) who is, like the rest of that crew, an excellent musician in his own right. Tubridy's solo album 'The Eagles Whistle" is superb...again I once owned it but can't find a copy these days.

I love Tubridy's playing....didn't know he had a solo album.

Listening to Cathal McConnell these days, like him on flute and whistle...a friend just gave me the first Boys of The Lough album, liking that. Also Seamus Egan on the first Solas cd. Nice flute playing on Julie Fowlis' cd's also; in heavy rotation in the truck.
I downloaded "The Eagle's Whistle" from tradtunes.com, I believe. The first set of reels alone is worth the price.
William Bajzek