Question about types of whistles for sessions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Question about types of whistles for sessions

Post by pancelticpiper »

boyd wrote: The ideal whistle player will play intermittently, probably have a main instrument or
at least an alternative, and maybe even a few different keys of whistle just to
break up the monotony of ear-piercing high notes.
Early on, back in the 70's, I got exposed to really good whistle players at sessions, people who only played whistle, who played in tune and blended into the session beautifully. No ear-piercing high notes. They pretty much stuck to their D Generations as their main (or indeed only) session horn.

So I never developed any sort of negativity to whistles at sessions.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Gee. Now I'm afraid to bring a couple whistles to a session for Aanvil, mtguru, and PanCelticPiper to try out.

I don't keep anything for it's price or brand. I don't buy anything for it's prestige or price. I really just kept the whistles with the balance of; 1. the sound I like best, and 2. those I felt most comfortable playing. Though I'm admittedly not a session ready whistle player yet.

I can understand getting a bad reaction at session if I was a lousy player (which is why I don't yet play) and insisted on playing anyway.

I can't understand getting a bad reaction if I played well enough to participate, whether blowing on a golden staff, or a dung dipped stick, as long as either sounded decent.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

not to be controversial or anything, but I think daniel hit my feelings right on the head.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Daniel Sinivirta

Post by Daniel Sinivirta »

Hey

I have a question about a whistle to be used in a session. I've been playing with my band, here in Brasil, with my susato, and sometimes I hardly can listen to it because of uilleann pipes and people screaming or claping. Susato helped me, because it's impossible to play with my feadog. I'm not satisfied with my susato, not because of its volume, but with your sounding, the changing of octaves and so on, so I decided to take one better, a high end one, but one that I can listenm on a session.

As I saw here on the forum, a Burke seems to be the best choice, but it's a bit expensive. Can someone recommend me some other brands with these features?

Greets!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

This should put to rest any thought that more than one cheap whistle can't be played together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7_seLRx2o
Liam
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Daniel Sinivirta wrote:Hey

I have a question about a whistle to be used in a session. I've been playing with my band, here in Brasil, with my susato, and sometimes I hardly can listen to it because of uilleann pipes and people screaming or claping. Susato helped me, because it's impossible to play with my feadog. I'm not satisfied with my susato, not because of its volume, but with your sounding, the changing of octaves and so on, so I decided to take one better, a high end one, but one that I can listenm on a session.

As I saw here on the forum, a Burke seems to be the best choice, but it's a bit expensive. Can someone recommend me some other brands with these features?

Greets!
Syn whistles have been often compared to burkes... and are a fair bit less expensive.

Alternately, before you go out and spend any money on a new whistle, you might want to try the O-ring trick with the Susato.

--
Bill
siggy

Post by siggy »

A particularly interesting thread -- but I notice not a mention of a Clarke in the mix here.

Does no one see Clarkes at sessions, even the small and presumably quieter ones?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

siggy wrote:A particularly interesting thread -- but I notice not a mention of a Clarke in the mix here.

Does no one see Clarkes at sessions, even the small and presumably quieter ones?
Clarkes, at least the actual clarke, and not Sweetones, are not tunable, having no separate piece for the head. As such, they just aren't as useful. But if you've got one that is bang on in tune with everyone else, I'm sure it wouldn't cause any more issues.

Sweetones are strongly disliked (by me and others, too, maybe) because their tone is really really irritating and I've never encountered one that was actually in tune with itself. That said, I did play regularly with a whistle / flute / box player who used one and made it sound quite nice. Very round tone he got, and quite unlike any other sweetone player.
siggy

Post by siggy »

Nico--

Thanks for the reply. My Sweetone is tweaked by Jerry Freeman -- would that tone still be irritating? I'm certainly not tone-deaf, and the Clarke's in tune with the Walton's, but I haven't the gizmodery to check electronically. There are no music stores in reasonable distance here that sell whistles, but the clips and mp3s I hear of Gens give me impression there are some notes in the D that sound stone cold, as in lifeless cyborg, which chills me. The notes around don't seem that way... I look forward to trying one for myself.

Y'know, there are ways to play that Clarke that can make it sound "round" and pretty clear -- something about opening up the back of my throat and paying particular attention to breathing -- otherwise it can sound ... ahh, what's a good word? unappealing.

I am planning to go to Augusta Heritage Irish week this year for the first time and certainly do not want to bring an instrument that may have a generally-irritating tone to others. As much as I do not want to become acquisitive, apparently I will have to get a new whistle...
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I actually do feel self concious when I pull out my Harper as it does look distinctive with it's flared end and decorative carving at the top so I do understand the fear of not living up to the whistle.

But round here no one seems to care what you play and with Steve Harper being a local there are loads of Harper whistles about and people also will mention his name when they see the whistle.

I've also seen Ralph Sweet played well and generations played horrifically.

I'm still aiming to be a better player so that one day I can pull out my 'pretty' whistle and blow their socks off.

On the subject of playing with other whistle players, I prefer not to. To my ear they rarely work together so I'll play with others on common tunes but let them have the floor on others.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.