FLAT chanter design - Vote for your favorite

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: FLAT chanter design - Vote for your favorite

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I used 'casual onlooker' in general terms. Maybe I was trying to say that this situation is one that needs close examination before coming to that particular conclusion.

For the rest of the argument I would suggest Rory do a little less roaring and a bit more reading. First of all I said Geoff wouldn't agree with Patrick's assessment. I know he doesn't so there's no argument there. So where did I begrudge Patrick the right to his own opinion? Exactly. I didn't. And, for the record, don't. Whether or not I agree with him is another matter. One I didn't bring into this discussion so far.

What I said after that initial statement was:
The Harrington is still able to yield more and certainly different nuances and colours than Geoff's C chanters. As I said, he's close but his chanters are different. And that was the main point I was making, he's making Wooff C chanters, not Harringtons

Now if Rory wants to argue those points, that's fine. We can. If Rory is unable or unwilling to go beyond a spate of name calling and giving out about things that weren't actually said, there's little more to say.

But maybe I should expand on the 'casual onlooker' thing a bit.

The way I look at it, you need to spend a good bit of time with a chanter to be able to 'know' it. To notice the differences between individual chanters that share characteristics, you will need to sit down and play each and look at what it does in detail, try different fingerings, combinations of fingering and vibrato, on or off the knee, explore the different harmonic content you get doing that, how much tonal colouring the chanter gives you. You may find that beyond your first impression, a casual play of the chanter in question, there are things one chanter does that the other doesn't do, or not in the same manner.

When subjected to an examination like this Geoff's Harrington C chanter will still do a few things differently than Geoff's own chanters will. And a few things that Geoff's chanters may not do at all on top of that. That's how Geoff himself feels about it after all the years of close exploration of the Harrington and his own attempts at understanding the knowledge and craftsmanship Denis Harrington put into that chanter.

That is Geoff's informed opinion, which he invariably expressed during the many times we discussed the subject over a very long period of time. And Geoff values the Harrington more for it than he does his own chanters. He feels Denis Harrington has a few secrets to give up yet. If you, Rory, think that's an arrogant approach to take, well, take it up with him. I am sure he'll give you an opinion.

Too feckin early in the morning for this sort of malarkey. If it's going to be a shouting match each time I say something, I'll be done again in no time at all. And you can sit there whining about people who won't join the discussions here and spend your time wondering why that was again.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks for the post Mr. Gumby. That's about what I was trying to get at, without knowing all the details. It's certainly food for thought, too.

I hope rory will stop posting his useless and inflammatory posts now.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

.....although I can't remember the details, Peter Hunter had some very interesting observations re:Harrington. I will see if I can drum up those details.....
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I used 'casual onlooker' in general terms. Maybe I was trying to say that this situation is one that needs close examination before coming to that particular conclusion.

For the rest of the argument I would suggest Rory do a little less roaring and a bit more reading. First of all I said Geoff wouldn't agree with Patrick's assessment. I know he doesn't so there's no argument there. So where did I begrudge Patrick the right to his own opinion? Exactly. I didn't. And, for the record, don't. Whether or not I agree with him is another matter. One I didn't bring into this discussion so far.

What I said after that initial statement was:
The Harrington is still able to yield more and certainly different nuances and colours than Geoff's C chanters. As I said, he's close but his chanters are different. And that was the main point I was making, he's making Wooff C chanters, not Harringtons

Now if Rory wants to argue those points, that's fine. We can. If Rory is unable or unwilling to go beyond a spate of name calling and giving out about things that weren't actually said, there's little more to say.

But maybe I should expand on the 'casual onlooker' thing a bit.

The way I look at it, you need to spend a good bit of time with a chanter to be able to 'know' it. To notice the differences between individual chanters that share characteristics, you will need to sit down and play each and look at what it does in detail, try different fingerings, combinations of fingering and vibrato, on or off the knee, explore the different harmonic content you get doing that, how much tonal colouring the chanter gives you. You may find that beyond your first impression, a casual play of the chanter in question, there are things one chanter does that the other doesn't do, or not in the same manner.

When subjected to an examination like this Geoff's Harrington C chanter will still do a few things differently than Geoff's own chanters will. And a few things that Geoff's chanters may not do at all on top of that. That's how Geoff himself feels about it after all the years of close exploration of the Harrington and his own attempts at understanding the knowledge and craftsmanship Denis Harrington put into that chanter.

That is Geoff's informed opinion, which he invariably expressed during the many times we discussed the subject over a very long period of time. And Geoff values the Harrington more for it than he does his own chanters. He feels Denis Harrington has a few secrets to give up yet. If you, Rory, think that's an arrogant approach to take, well, take it up with him. I am sure he'll give you an opinion.

Too feckin early in the morning for this sort of malarkey. If it's going to be a shouting match each time I say something, I'll be done again in no time at all. And you can sit there whining about people who won't join the discussions here and spend your time wondering why that was again.
I def agree that Mr Wooff is making his own pipes and not just copies. But I wondered how you get examine the chanters and got this info about the difference between harington chanters / wooff chanters.

Besides this, I don' t mind if I would have a different opinion. :wink:

But getting to the subject now whats your favorite flat chanter design folks?

Patrick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks Patrick. Glad that's all cleared up now.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

NicoMoreno wrote:I hope rory will stop posting his useless and inflammatory posts now.
As far as I,m aware I've never submit a inflammatory or useless post in my life but you've got to admit your "Yea!! what he said" post is not going to win any prizes is it?
Mr.Gumby wrote: If it's going to be a shouting match each time I say something, I'll be done again in no time at all. And you can sit there whining about people who won't join the discussions here and spend your time wondering why that was again.
As I understand it MrG is saying,If anyone dares disagree with me again I,m out of here.Well for me personally that would be very difficult and I would hate to go down in forum history as the person who run off Mr G twice,so from here on I promise never to comment or reply to any of MrG's posts again.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks, that'll save me the trouble of posting a link to your earlier posts in this thread which were both inflammatory and useless. (Ahem, hopefully that will help with your awareness.) I am sorry that you think a thank you is equivalent to a "Yea!! what he said" post. But then, I didn't realize this was a competition.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

My personal favourites are my Geoff Wooff C chanter which is modelled after a Coyne C, and a Dave Williams Bb chanter modelled after a Harrington Bb that was in York museum in 1981.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Geoff Wooff C chanter which is modelled after a Coyne C,
Harrington surely?

Apologies to Rory before he gets all excited, for calling anyone on the forum Shirley.
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Harrington surely?" Mr. Gumby.

The chanter is an old Wooff C made in Australia for Malcolm Sim's dad. It looks like a Coyne, with Coyne style keys. At Miltown, I think 2002, Mr. McLeod asked Geoff if it was after a Coyne, and Geoff said yes. However Malcolm sent the chanter to Geoff I think in 2000-2001 and Geoff upgraded the bore, so it's possible the bore is Harrington influenced now. Anyway it's a very fine chanter and the reed Geoff made plays fine summer and during the dry Swedish winter.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I have 2 flat Chanters, A Rogge C, which is, of course, a brilliant chanter But of late Ive been really enjoying my B chanter by Kenneth McNicholl. Im curious anyone know more about the Rogge design, his own? I presume...
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

According to Rogge's own website:

"The C and Bb are of my own design, inspired by the style of Colgan"
billh

Post by billh »

straycat82 wrote:According to Rogge's own website:

"The C and Bb are of my own design, inspired by the style of Colgan"
The bore of the B, and for that matter some of the visual aesthetic of Andreas' chanters, is actually based on a Coyne chanter - though it only served as a starting point from which he has diverged. The original Coyne appears to be plumwood. I don't know why Andreas has never bothered to correct the website.

best regards,

Bill
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read.

I received a PM from another member prior to Bill's post that conveys, essentially, the same information (that the chanter was originally based on Coyne and not Colgan).
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

So what does anyone know about Ginsburg's C chanter design? What its based on? As I was saying How much I liked the B chanter based on a Coyne .
Are there certain characteristics that particular flat chanters are renowned for?
I presume some makers chanter are, by design, easier to play What is the trade off in tone ?
Which makers stick to the narrow bore, small hole flat chanters and which are experimenting with wider bore flat chanters?

cheers :)
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs