CP: Parks high whistles in black on the way

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: CP: Parks high whistles in black on the way

Post by Tommy »

Skyclad01 wrote:Some more from Latin:

ater, atra, atrum - black

atratus - blackened

coracinus - raven black

dichrous - two distinct colors

ebenus - ebony black

piceus - dark as pitch, black

pullus - dark, raven black

And others:

BRAITH: Welsh unisex name derived from the word brith, meaning "diversely-colored," especially black and white or red and white.

DELANEY: Irish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Dubhshláine "descendant of Dubhshláine," hence "black challenger."

CARRAN: Anglicized form of Irish Gaelic Ciarán, meaning "little black one."

CIARÁN: Irish name composed of Gaelic ciar "black" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little black one."

CIARDHA: Gaelic name derived from the word ciar, meaning "black, dark."

DUGAL: Variant spelling of English Dougal, meaning "black stranger."

KIERAN: Variant spelling of English Kiaran, meaning "little black one."

Great info. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Carey wrote:Prototype Progress

I cut a piece of all-thread and made some square Delrin nuts to use as stops for the hole template. I put the nuts on the rod in positions matching the holes in the prototype

So I cranked the nuts around on the rod into positions that I thought would be better and drilled a set of holes opposite the exiting holes.

Here's the last hole, with the clamping mechanism of the sliding car on the left, and the brass pin that locates against those Delrin nuts.
Looks good to me and I know it works. :thumbsup:
Do the square Delrin nuts on the all thread act as visual stops or mechanical stops?
I am guessing mechanical as the brass pin touches the square Delrin nuts?
Skyclad01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Some more others for fun

Arabic
Leila = Night

Dutch
Nacht = Night

French
Ombre = Shadow
Sombre = Dark

Italian
Ombra = Shadow

Japanese
Kurai = dark
Yami = darkness (e.g. "He escaped under cover of darkness/into the dark night.")
Kuroi = black
Yoru = night
Yakan = night, nighttime

Latin
Nox = Night
Occultus = Concealed, Secret
Tenebra/Tenebrae = Shadow, Darkness

Mandarin Chinese
Xuen (pronounced "shwen", basically) = Dark, Mysterious

Romanian
Kalipe = Darkness

Spanish
Sombra = Shadow

Swedish
Natt =Night
Dunkel = Obscure
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Skyclad01 wrote:Some more others for fun

Arabic
Leila = Night

Dutch
Nacht = Night

French
Ombre = Shadow
Sombre = Dark

Italian
Ombra = Shadow

Japanese
Kurai = dark
Yami = darkness (e.g. "He escaped under cover of darkness/into the dark night.")
Kuroi = black
Yoru = night
Yakan = night, nighttime

Latin
Nox = Night
Occultus = Concealed, Secret
Tenebra/Tenebrae = Shadow, Darkness

Mandarin Chinese
Xuen (pronounced "shwen", basically) = Dark, Mysterious

Romanian
Kalipe = Darkness

Spanish
Sombra = Shadow

Swedish
Natt =Night
Dunkel = Obscure
Cool or keen, depending on a persons age. :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I suppose if you stick with the cream head that style could be The Parks Stout Whistle (Murphy's Law applies?) ;-)
All black could be Pluto/Hades.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:I think All Black would look best, if feasible, with metallic-inked engraving (Hey, if you went All Black, you could even custom engrave with a silver fern for the New Zealand market!)
The 'Haka'?
Skyclad01 wrote:DELANEY: Irish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Dubhshláine "descendant of Dubhshláine," hence "black challenger."
Or 'Duggan', which also comes from 'dubh'!

:-)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Throwing a few more out there just cause I can:

Iniquitous

Nefarious

Contuse

Stygian

Umbra
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Skyclad01 wrote:Stygian
Or maybe just 'Styx'?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Tommy wrote:Do the square Delrin nuts on the all thread act as visual stops or mechanical stops? I am guessing mechanical as the brass pin touches the square Delrin nuts?
Yep, mechanical. I'm all about eliminating sources of variation whenever possible.

My goodness there are a lot of options being suggested. And with the color suggestions it's looking like I might have to offer a menu of options. If I do that, I'll choose one scheme for my "stock" whistle, and then make the others to order. I don't see myself having the space to inventory a supply of whistles in all the mix-and-match possibilities.

I could do all black with fittings from England, or I could just split a section of pipe as Guido does in his instructions. This is what I used for the Ghost, and it has the advantage of creating a "flat spot" where the whistle can be set on the table and it won't roll off.

Jem - I think you have the best creative suggestion for naming the cream over black motif the "Stout Whistle." Since it's not likely to be stout sound wise, perhaps "Parks Porter Whistle?"

I could put a bit of pure white on the bell end and use white for the mouthpiece and it would look like a magician's wand. (And off we go...)

I am humbled by the response and driven to make a whistle to justify the energy the naming frenzy has generated.

Is mise,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Carey

Post by Carey »

Arrival

The package from Phil arrived yesterday, which was quite good time to cross the Atlantic. Here's the courier punching up the document for me to sign to accept the shipment. Out man here used to be a musician in the Cleveland area where I lived until going of to university. Small world. Perhaps he will come catch a session sometime.

The pipe sections can roll over one another in the box, so the ends have no internal support. The result being a landing on the edge opened up the box a bit. I don't think anything went missing, but I have not opened it up yet, knowing after I do so it will consume all of my time. And the grass is getting really tall and I have an errand to run today. But after my grass cutting and errand I will open the box and dive in to the project.

Is mise,

Carey

Carey

Post by Carey »

First Dozen To The Engraver

Just a quick note to report the contents were intact and there is enough pipe to make 104 D whistles plus a lesser number of C and Eb bodies. I made up a dozen D whistle blanks, C and Eb bodies and dropped them off at the engraver yesterday. I should have them back next Sunday.

I didn't want to commit any more pipe at this stage, since I may find I want to adjust the length of this part or that before making more.

I took some photos but they are stuck in the camera. I can't find the cable with which to let them out.

But I do have a sound sample of the prototype which uses all the notes below 2nd octave C: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21268663/Careys ... shadow.mp3

Remember, this isn't the final voicing or intonation, but it's probably close.

Take care,

Carey

JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

That clip sounds awesome. It comes across like a chiffy Burke ...just a beautiful tone, imo. I may have to break the promise I made to myself about not buying anymore high D whistles.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Carey

Post by Carey »

JTC111 wrote:That clip sounds awesome. It comes across like a chiffy Burke ...just a beautiful tone, imo. I may have to break the promise I made to myself about not buying anymore high D whistles.
Thanks Jim, I hate to do that to people, but hey, it's my job! :wink:

You might want to consider the three-piece (and a case if you like) because it will be so light you won't know you are carrying it.

For that reason I'm leaning towards naming it the "Parks Shadow" but I can't shake "Parks Porter" for the cream head and logo version. Maybe it will be the "Porter" style of the "Parks Shadow."

Carey

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Perhaps the walkabout version could be the "portabout".
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Carey wrote: it will be so light you won't know you are carrying it.

For that reason I'm leaning towards naming it the "Parks Shadow" but I can't shake "Parks Porter" for the cream head and logo version. Maybe it will be the "Porter" style of the "Parks Shadow."

Carey
Surely they're going to come up slightly heavier than your previous ones, since the tube is slightly thicker-walled? Or near as dammit the same? FWIW, my home-made prototype one in the Brit black PVC is a little heavier than your one you sent me.... but it does have a bit more plastic in it due to more in the extended GG style head construction and no turned-down/reamed out tuning slide, just expanded tube, plus the Miliput I used for the fipple-plug may be heavier than your fipple material.

Sounding pretty decent, BTW. :-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads