Glottal stops

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Stuporman
antispam: No

Re: Glottal stops

Post by Stuporman »

Further examples can be found here:
http://soundcloud.com/deeor-1/sets/tom- ... -folk-club
Or, in shorter form:
http://tinyurl.com/7r2jghg
Feel free to remove this if it takes the thread too far on a tangent.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

While we're at the whistleclips, here's another player who has the glottal/pulsing style of fluteplaying applied nicely to his whistle playing.

It took me a lot of work to identify the whistler but am pretty sure it's a man who was actually a near neighbour of mine. I used to chat to him while on my way back from town on the bike and for years I didn't know he played, he probably never knew I played either. I found out in a roundabout way eventually but at that point his health was failing. His name was Mickey Cleary, he learned his fluteplaying from Josie Hayes and used to be part of the group of people around Junior Crehan. He played mostly at home later in life and had a preference for the C whistle. This clip is from the 1960s and while I was trying to identify the player someone remarked how 'modern' the playing sounded.

McKenna's Reels
My brain hurts

bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Stuporman wrote:Further examples can be found here:
Thanks for that beautiful music. It's funny, on these tracks it sounds to my ear like he's mostly tonguing rather than glottal stopping, whereas on the Lucy Farr home recording it sounded like mainly glottal stops to me. It's not always easy to tell the difference, especially on the whistle.

I really enjoyed the Mickey Cleary, very much a flute-playing approach to the whistle but it works well.
<==o=o=o=
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by <==o=o=o= »

Another good example is demonstrated on this video by Kevin Crawford, especially at 1:30.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72oj5 ... -cra_music
... Perhaps the best method to work glottal stops !!! :D
('hope this doesn't double an existing post)

Didier
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I just received Conal O'Grada's new Irish flute tutorial. It's solid and interesting. A whole chapter is devoted to glottal stops, how to do it, where to do it; has a recording of Catherine McEvoy using glottals extensively with some transcriptions of her playing on the recording and the placement of glottals. Seems one of the more thorough treatments of glottal stops as I've seen in any Irish flute tutorial.