Survey: Razors

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Question

Multi-blade cartridge/disposable razor
34%
Double edge safety razor
34%
Straight razor
No votes
Electric razor/trimmer
17%
Sword/machete/axe
3%
Other
No votes
Au naturel (Sasquatch/Yeti/Wookie/Hipster)
10%

Total votes: 29

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Survey: Razors

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:the Rick Harrison endorsed razor
I bought one of those! For $20 in the "As Seen on TV" section of CVS. Much easier than dealing with the actual TV offer that can nearly double the price with shipping costs and have you waiting for weeks to receive your order. Mine came with a stand instead of a presention box.

This Micro Touch One is a rebranded Chinese-made Weishi razor, a Gillette copy. And I'd give it pretty high marks. The fit and finish and weight are excellent, and it's not too aggressive for a beginner. If you don't mind the short handle style (80 mm), it does the job very nicely. And the supplied Dorco blades are good,too.

The Van der Hagen razor looks like the exact same Weishi model, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it turning up in the same mainstream stores (CVS, Target, etc.) that carry the VdH soaps and brushes.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I use the "medicinal" formulation from T.N. Dickinson, available at CVS.
That one's a hydrosol, then? Do you have to refrigerate it?
Damn, you made me look up hydrosol.

Yes, I imagine the distillate is mostly water. And no, refrigeration is not specified. But I do still have an old bottle around, probably from the 1980s. The contents have turned an amber yellow and it smells pretty darn funky. So maybe on that time scale refrigeration would be a good idea. If you don't mind splashing yourself with ice cold liquid. Pah, Minnesotans.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:If you don't mind splashing yourself with ice cold liquid. Pah, Minnesotans.
It would be bracing, that's for sure. Being as I don't even use aftershave, it's an experiment I'm unwilling to try. But just to reassure you, I do like the luxury of hot water when I shave. We even have electricity!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote: If you don't mind splashing yourself with ice cold liquid. Pah, Minnesotans.
Are you talking about the ice made from pure water or when saturated salt water freezes? Ice cold to me does not mean that it can be splashed. That sentence hurts my brain. Are there such places that ice is a foreign thing? Can they not just go to the rooftops of their science buildings on a -30F day (or night) to do the rare liquid ammonia experiments for chemistry free and in the open? What do they think is "ice " cold? In florida it seemed to be 68F. Whole beach to my wife and I.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:What do they think is "ice " cold? In florida it seemed to be 68F. Whole beach to my wife and I.
And that, folks, is a Minnesotan.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:And that, folks, is a Minnesotan.
He like totally took the bait. "Ooooh ... ice!! Now there's an interesting topic!!" Pah, Minnesotans.

In habitable parts of the world (like here), thermometers have three ranges:

1. Ugh, sweaty.
2. 70s
3. Holy crap it's f-f-f-freezing!

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

MTGuru wrote:
ytliek wrote:Now there's someone who knows how to shave! Welcome to CT, nutmeg, witch hazel, we got it all.
Yes, the Dickinson companies, now combined, are the original producer and, I believe, still the sole supplier of witch hazel to the world.
Yep, I had leaf from a witch hazel tree in my leaf collection for high school biology class. My (second) orthodontist was in Centerbrook right near a Dickinson location.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:
He like totally took the bait. "Ooooh ... ice!! Now there's an interesting topic!!" Pah, Minnesotans.

1. Ugh, sweaty.
2. 70s
Remind me again what your high is in the summer.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
MTGuru wrote:

1. Ugh, sweaty.
2. 70s
Remind me again what your high is in the summer.
IIRC, MTGuru pretty much sticks to alcohol whatever the season.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:Remind me again what your high is in the summer.
It's Ugh, Sweaty. Don't you know how to read a thermometer? :P
Nanohedron wrote:IIRC, MTGuru pretty much sticks to alcohol whatever the season.
So now I'm a weather wimp and a lush? Pah, Minnesotans.

Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

MTGuru wrote:He like totally took the bait. "Ooooh ... ice!! Now there's an interesting topic!!" Pah, Minnesotans.
Beginning around this time of year, I consider any talk of shaving to be entirely academic. Facial hair becomes a matter of self-preservation, not a fashion statement.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, this has been interesting and surprising. Even with the small sample size, I really would have expected the order of winners so far - safety, electric, cartridge - to be exactly reversed.

As in so many things nowadays, the mainstream seems out of touch with what many thoughtful people really want. Cui bono?

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Well, this has been interesting and surprising. Even with the small sample size, I really would have expected the order of winners so far - safety, electric, cartridge - to be exactly reversed.

As in so many things nowadays, the mainstream seems out of touch with what many thoughtful people really want. Cui bono?
OTOH it would be well to consider that the people who would be most likely to quickly chime in on the topic would be those like us who have gone against the current so. I still suspect that the usual run use disposables, or electric; they just find the topic too mundane to spend keystrokes on.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:OTOH it would be well to consider that the people who would be most likely to quickly chime in on the topic would be those like us who have gone against the current so. I still suspect that the usual run use disposables, or electric; they just find the topic too mundane to spend keystrokes on.
Yes, sure. In any survey where participation is initiated by the participants, the sample tends to be self-selecting.

But it does suggest that of those who do think about shaving as an interest, there's a strong tilt toward a particular thing that is definitely not the thing you're presented with when you walk into your mainstream retailer. Dozens and dozens of multi-blade options, and nary (or scarcely) a DE safety option in sight.

Thing is, Gillette (P&G) et alia are not blind to this. A few years ago they bought out a retailer called "The Art of Shaving", a boutique shop that pops up in upscale malls around the country. There you can find at least a small selection of DE razors and wet shaving supplies, but positioned as premium goods with very premium prices.

It's an arrangement that perfectly preserves the retail model: gouging on cartridges and disposables for the mass market, and gouging on DE for the rebellious or conspicuously consuming few. Cui bono ...

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote: Thing is, Gillette (P&G) et alia are not blind to this.
When it comes to shaving, P&G are as close to a monopoly as makes no difference, at least in North America. It really should be et alias*, not et alia.

*Yes, I know they're two forms of the same word, but the current english sense of alias ("a.k.a") is much closer to the truth than the usual latin translation of alia ("others"). Anyway, it's my best latin pun in ages.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis