Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

recording level

Post by mahanpots »

Jem,

I love your playing of Bwthyn fy Nain. That's gourgeous.

I added a new set of tunes and did as you said. Six feet away, turned up the levels.

I'm still not satisfied. But I've got to get to work!

Thanks for listening.

Michael

http://www.box.net/p/mahanpots
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Michael,

I haven't listened to your clips yet, but I am looking forward to doing so. Just wanted to respond to the recording bit....I use and Edirol R-o9 by Roland. I tend to stand/sit three to four feet away as well. Closer than that and I seem to distort the signal. No special mic, just the built-in set on a mono setting.

Arbo
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for the compliment, Michael. Sentiments returned on your new reel set - grand tunes and very nicely played. I'm really impressed with your breathing/breath control, and you have a nice, steady, relaxed swing rhythmically. There are occasional tensions apparent over tricky passages/ornaments, but you only slightly lose flow over those, not actual time.

I also think you've pretty much cracked the recorded sound. The transfer level is certainly fine for my playback now. Your flute sounds much fuller, richer and mellower like that. I think you'll agree the close miked ones are very flat (tone-colour, not pitch) and fluffy sounding by comparison. The ambient acoustic is nice, but just a little bright - draw some curtains, put down a couple of rugs or something just to damp it (and the foot!) a little (not completely deaden) and I think you'll get what you're seeking. As it is, the acoustic is quite flattering, but just a bit boomy on low notes and fizzy up high. Remind me what your flute is - if you've mentioned before, I've forgotten.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mahanpots

what kind of flute

Post by mahanpots »

Thanks for the tip Arbo and Jem. I'll keep playing around with the environment I'm recording in. I haven't done any editing of the tunes in my software. I try a few things, but tend to undo them as I'd like everyone to hear the raw file for now. I use Audacity. Also, my recorder has some effects settings that affect the way the music sounds as well. I think I've used some in the past, but I really don't know what I'm doing.

Jem, my flute is an Olwell keyless. I'm not educated in the different styles of flutes really. I tend to think it's a Pratten model. It breaks down into four pieces and I bought it about 15 years ago.

Michael

sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

mahanpots, I think your name is Michael. Anyway, I love your clips! And many of your tunes are in June's book so maybe I'll someday be able to play along with your recordings.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Diane,

Thanks. I've read some posts about your feeling like you want to give up. I remember when I started learning, going to sessions and sitting for an hour waiting for my tune to come around, then have it slip by because I couldn't catch it or sitting and listening for two hours and playing once. I still have trouble at sessions feeling comfortable enough to start a tune and keep it going. Then I hear someone who is so far more advanced than I am and I wonder if it's all worth the effort. Will I ever get there?

Keep it up.

Michael
brotherwind

new ones...

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
got some new clips played on my Martin Doyle (mopane):

John McGuire's reel
Ger The Rigger barndance
Geese In The Bog jig

Hope, you enjoy'em,

Moritz
mahanpots

new tunes/new room/blanket on floor

Post by mahanpots »

I really should be working.

But I'm always slow to get back into the swing of things after holidays. I'm grateful for visiting family. Now, my wife gets to go see her family in Ireland.

I listened to many clips from earlier posts and I know there are some very accomplished flute players here. I know one of them, Rob. And I know he knows some of you, having spent much time in Ireland and other parts of Europe.

I hope you all don't mind if I share another set of tunes. I think my playing needs polishing, but I decided I'll share some things that I want to improve. Like the first of these tunes. I learned this from flute player Mike Casey (my first teacher) many years ago, and I've never felt like I got the triplets down right. He taught me the second one as well, and I feel like I finally got that one down, although I'm sure there's room for improvement as well as some variation (I've got the variations, it's just that they weren't quite ready to show themselves in this recording). I tend to mess up if I have to think about what I'm doing, and if there's any spark of doubt in my head, I try not to think about it. Recording myself for other flute players to hear tends to create some doubt.

Anyway, I recorded this in a room with less wooden walls and a blanket on the floor to muffle the foot taps.

Oh, and Brotherwind, I like the tunes. I think the reels are in need of some rolls to give them some shape if that makes any sense.

Thanks,

Michael

The Landsdowne Lasses and Come West Along the Road:
http://www.box.net/shared/fxcvftkpgk
brotherwind

Re: new tunes/new room/blanket on floor

Post by brotherwind »

mahanpots wrote:I really should be working.
Oh, and Brotherwind, I like the tunes. I think the reels are in need of some rolls to give them some shape if that makes any sense.
Hi Michael,
thanks, you are absolutely right. I haven't put the stress on ornaments with these clips, but on getting the core melody and dealing with tone especially that lower d. There's yet so much to do...

I like your clips, nice and steady rhythm. We all should dedicate more time to playing the tunes slow and keep an eye/ear to the details.

Cheers,

Moritz
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

mahanpots wrote:Diane,

Thanks. I've read some posts about your feeling like you want to give up. I remember when I started learning, going to sessions and sitting for an hour waiting for my tune to come around, then have it slip by because I couldn't catch it or sitting and listening for two hours and playing once. I still have trouble at sessions feeling comfortable enough to start a tune and keep it going. Then I hear someone who is so far more advanced than I am and I wonder if it's all worth the effort. Will I ever get there?

Keep it up.

Michael
Sounds about like my experience. It's getting better. Fortunately at my session they are not so unforgiving of my lack of ability as I am to myself, or even you guys are to me. I've even started a tune.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have put up one more set of tunes for consideration. After the recent talk about playing too fast, I really tried to capture a moderate pace with a couple of reels. It was tough to keep them steady, not perfect by any means, but I hope not all over the place as well... anyway, the primrose lass and green grow the rushes (eddie cahill? set).

Thanks for listening....

cheers, Arbo.

http://public.box.net/imnotirish73470
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

sbfluter wrote:Fortunately at my session they are not so unforgiving of my lack of ability as I am to myself, or even you guys are to me. I've even started a tune.
It's alike with the people I meet and probably the strongest incentive for me to learn ITM at all.

Cheers,

Moritz
mahanpots

more tunes

Post by mahanpots »

Arbo,

I like the sound of your flute and your playing.

I've added two hornpipes, Harvest Home and the Belfast. This time, I turned my levels up to max and stood about six feet away. I just want to get the sound of my flute to come through.

Michael

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just listened to your hornpipes, Michael. Nice steady hornpipe feel/speed to them - I do like your sense of the different dance forms. I felt you did some slightly odd harsh tonguing in strange/incongruous places in Harvest Home, especially the first time through, though. Also the flat F# on the keyless flute really shows (can't do much about that without an F key to vent!) - stands out in that tune quite prominently - far less noticeable in The Belfast.

I think the recorded sound is excellent this time - shows your flute to excellent advantage, and I doubt you'll do much better without studio quality gear.

Nice stuff.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mahanpots

Flat F#

Post by mahanpots »

Jem,

Thanks for the listen. I appreciate the comments. I'm not familiar with playing keyed flutes. So, is it common to vent the F# with the F natural key. Is that correct? I played in front of my tuner and see that I have a sharp A as well. And my B is a bit sharp as well. I think I realized this early on in my playing when I first got the flute, but stopped worrying about it. Part of playing acoustic instruments? I know when everyone tunes to an A at a session, my flute is going to be a bit sharp. Also, my ear isn't great as far as hearing whether I'm in tune or not -- my greatest worry at sessions.

"Everyone's looking at me because I'm out of tune."

Here's another go at Harvest Home trying to bring the F# into tune:

http://www.box.net/shared/u7tzb4ui8d