Buying a low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spiderjames
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Buying a low whistle

Post by spiderjames »

Well I had a chance yesterday morning to spend some time with each low whistle in my possession. Played some airs and did some improve/noodling. after warming each one up I checked intonation against a tuner set to equal temperament (I perform mostly with guitar and keyboards and I don't know if the equal vs just intonation matters much except for personal taste). I adjusted the tuning slide for a good median tuning with the sharpest and flattest notes equal distance apart and here's what I found intonation wise and my opinions on playability/sound.

The four whistle in question are, in order of appearance: a Reyburn, A Dixon poly, a Calmont, and a Holifield.

All of these could be adjusted to play in tune +/- 10 cents or so with the exception of the Calmont which was +/- 20 cents or more on some notes.

The Reyburn: Beautifully made substantially hefty whistle. The one I have is used and has a little patina which I loved the look of. It is somewhat quiet IMO. Has a little raspiness in the attack (chiff?) and some of what I call "dirt" in the sustained tone. Not airiness but some complexity in the tone. Responds well for me (a beginner). Since this whistle is heavy I think it could use some sort of permanent thumb rest. That could just be my saxophone roots showing but the plastic one the previous owner graciously provided slips if I become a little over zealous.

Dixon Polymer Taper bore: This one is also used and I think it is the TB012 model?? Not sure. I like this one a lot. it is louder than the Reyburn and has more of that nice raspy attack with a brighter purer tone. Slightly more spread on the intonation but fine. I have to push it to more than the Reyburn to get the second octave to sound. It is louder in both octaves. Lightweight, rugged. Might keep this as my travel/ hazardous duty whistle.

Calmont: I bought this used on a whim after seeing it on The Irish Flute Store for $49. It is slightly different than the pictures I have seen online with a longer airway and tuning slide and no brass trim. I had high hopes because it has a closer spacing on the lower holes and can be played without piper's grip. It does has an interesting sound very much like a native american flute to me. I believe this is due to the fipple design. It has a soft sound with a lot of back pressure. The air way on mine was kinda of warped at the mouth end closing it off some. I cleaned it up a little and back pressure was less but not by much. The intonation is +/- 20cents or more. More than I would like. I may play around with the fipple and holes and try to improve it (or possibly damage it beyond use or repair).

Holifield: Precision work here. Everything seems to be well crafted with tight tolerances. The intonation is the best of the group. The sound I would maybe describe as middle of the road. A little airiness in the tone and more chiff in the attack than the Reyburn but less than the Dixon. All the notes play cleanly and respond easily for me.

So far I'm thinking the Dixon is staying for sure. The Holifield and the Reyburn have to still battle it out and the Calmont is destined for Frankenstein's laboratory. Right know I am favoring the Holifield but that may just be the excitement of having a new toy.

More to come...
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

Must be great fun getting to know four new low D's. Must say I'm amazed (RE: Reyburn) that anything is quieter than the Dixon, I'm a big fan of Dixon whistles and I have quite a few, but although it played really well I found the tapered bore low D way too quiet, if the Reyburn is quieter than this it must be barely audible in the lower octave.

Thanks for the great review, enjoy your whistles :thumbsup:
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Just to be clear the Low D that Spiderjames is referring to is one of my older Brass versions (thus the heavier comment) and not my latest aluminum alloy model which is quite loud and weighs 1/3rd less than the brass model. Panceticpiper has rated this new version about as loud as his MK.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

Mr. Reyburn, no slight intended I assure you, I assumed it was older model with Spider stating the whistle was 'used' and had some 'patina'. I also know your low D has undergone significant development over the years as I read Richard's review of the alloy with some envy. I'd be love to try a Reyburn of any vintage, any material (I was so tempted by the maple head model you offered recently) but unfortunately living in the UK makes the cost prohibitive :(
Reyburnwhistles

Thank you Lempriere for the clarity. And by the way in the near future I'll be offering a limited number of Maple head whistles (at a very good price) that I have upgraded to my present level of whistle making. Stay tuned!

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
spiderjames

Post by spiderjames »

No slight intended whatsoever. The whistle is an excellent instrument. The comments were merely observations from my rather limited experience with whistles. It was the first to arrive and frankly I was impressed by it and was tempted to just stop my search there and get on with it. I loved the logo and the overall look of the whistle. The whistle is very even over the full range of the instrument. I play a bare brass tenor sax most of the time so I don't mind a hefty instrument and would actually prefer brass over alloy. Mr Reyburn. would you be able to tweak this whistle to increase it's volume without changing the evenness and responsiveness too much?
spiderjames

Post by spiderjames »

Lempriere wrote:Must say I'm amazed (RE: Reyburn) that anything is quieter than the Dixon
Odd, The Dixon is the loudest of all of them. The Calmont is the quietest but honestly I can't judge by the one I have as I think something was wrong with it.
Reyburnwhistles

Spiderjames, Not being sure which version of my brass Low D you have, I'll have to have a look at it to determine if I can increase the volume for you. Feel free to send it to me and I'll check it out.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

Reyburnwhistles wrote:And by the way in the near future I'll be offering a limited number of Maple head whistles (at a very good price)
Please don't, I may not be able to resist if another one is offered, but I've just had surgery on my right thumb so it's possible I may never be able to play low D again and the HMRC will ensure it's no longer a 'very good price' when it lands in the UK :(

Out of interest will they have brass or alloy bodies Ronaldo?
Reyburnwhistles

Lempriere, The low whistles have brass bodies and most will have maple heads. There are a couple of prototypes that are a combination of maple and brass heads and a couple that are all brass with Delrin plugs. They all play very nicely! I'm working on pics for the lot at this time so will post the Special Offers on my site soon.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Since my latest purchase and playing of Ronaldo's prototype all brass low D whistle, it has reminded me of how I really liked and appreciated his quieter, standard bore Maple head low D that I had before. It has many of the same attributes, and what I appreciate in a low whistle that is perfect for playing in quieter environs. So, I thought I would mention a little something about why the need for both kinds, among other options from Ronaldo Reyburn.
spiderjames wrote:No slight intended whatsoever. The whistle is an excellent instrument. The comments were merely observations from my rather limited experience with whistles. It was the first to arrive and frankly I was impressed by it and was tempted to just stop my search there and get on with it. I loved the logo and the overall look of the whistle. The whistle is very even over the full range of the instrument. I play a bare brass tenor sax most of the time so I don't mind a hefty instrument and would actually prefer brass over alloy. Mr Reyburn. would you be able to tweak this whistle to increase it's volume without changing the evenness and responsiveness too much?
Heh, there's the catch-if you can immediately appreciate a whistle for how it plays and sounds, then maybe that is enough. If you alter it (even by the maker), it may never be the same again, and a loss to those who are looking for those attributes it does so well.

A loud whistle played in a loud environment isn't played for its subtleties of tone that can no longer be heard there, so I think that re-voicing a whistle just to make it play louder, may not be the best choice-or the right tool for the job you have in mind. If you want a loud whistle, then seek out the loud whistles, or amplify it for those times when you want to play with a band, etc.

These older Reyburns with the Maple heads were also made in two versions, eventually-starting with the wide bore, and later the standard narrower bore. Both were great whistles, and the narrower bore, better for more intimate surroundings, but with a lot of character still available to please the ears, to play more quietly, or even for recording solo instrumentals, etc, or just playing at home. He has introduced other newer models that address other players' wishes since, as well, and is open to accommodating player's wishes concerning tuning, choices, easier accessed upper, or stronger low ranges too.

As Ronaldo has said, he now offers other whistles built for that purpose, of playing louder, for whatever purpose you have in mind. If that is really what you want, then buy one of his newer aluminum session bore lows. If they are as loud as an MK (according to pancelticpiper- Richard), then you have another choice there in a Reyburn.

Also keep in mind that sometimes because a brass whistle may have a different timbre to the tone-as in warmer, and sometimes seemingly more muted voices (compared to an aluminum whistle), it may not always hold true that they are quieter in decibels, or in presence heard by others in session, etc. either. There have been many debates about how loud something appears to sound, and it actually being louder than one thinks-or the ability to hear it in noisier venues, than one would think. The flute forum alone has had many such discussions comparing different flute woods, and lined heads, etc., and this is really no different.

But I also go by my ears to tell me if something is louder than the other, so I understand where that comes from as well. Maybe because brass has less in the way of perceptible overtones, that we might think it quieter? Probably smoother and less brash, but quieter, I'm not so sure, and whether it matters to the decibel meter, or ear more-that could be another debate entirely.

I don't bring this up to debate (I care not to be one), but just to question our perceptions sometimes.

And to also be aware of Ronaldo's latest special offerings of Maple headed whistles which are no longer made, and the prototypes that may please and surprise you if you choose to buy one. I am very happy that I did, and was able to get one that I really appreciate for its subtle traits it offers.
~~~~
Barry
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes I've had a few Reyburn Low Ds pass through my hands and they've all been amongst the loudest Low Ds, similar to Burkes and MKs.

Both the old Reyburns with the fat Maple head, and the newer ones with the polypenco head, have a unique NAF-like tone which I find very appealing. IMHO the MK and the Reyburn have the most complex rich sophisticated tone (though very different from each other) and are amongst the loudest Low Ds, so it's not like loud equals uninteresting... quite the opposite. It's the quiet Low Ds with their wimpy bland tone that I don't care for.

Well we will see! I have a Church gig this morning and I'm taking the Goldie, MK, and Reyburn and I'll see what they sound like in context.

About perceived volume and overtones and such, for sure my Reyburn is fascinating in that it has a hollow fat beefy NAF tone which I think is louder than it seems. In a small ensemble my perception was that it blended better than the MK with its dirtier tone, which in the ensemble seems to be verging on being overly bright (which I don't hear when playing solo).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yes I've had a few Reyburn Low Ds pass through my hands and they've all been amongst the loudest Low Ds, similar to Burkes and MKs.

Both the old Reyburns with the fat Maple head, and the newer ones with the polypenco head, have a unique NAF-like tone which I find very appealing. IMHO the MK and the Reyburn have the most complex rich sophisticated tone (though very different from each other) and are amongst the loudest Low Ds, so it's not like loud equals uninteresting... quite the opposite. It's the quiet Low Ds with their wimpy bland tone that I don't care for.

Well we will see! I have a Church gig this morning and I'm taking the Goldie, MK, and Reyburn and I'll see what they sound like in context.

About perceived volume and overtones and such, for sure my Reyburn is fascinating in that it has a hollow fat beefy NAF tone which I think is louder than it seems. In a small ensemble my perception was that it blended better than the MK with its dirtier tone, which in the ensemble seems to be verging on being overly bright (which I don't hear when playing solo).
Richard, it seems you may have not have played the quieter Reyburns with the Maple head, which were made with a smaller bore-they were not as loud as the original wide bores. The originals were louder, though the unique tone was still there in both.

Also, I'm not saying that loud whistles can't have an interesting voice-just that when played in a louder environment, such as sessions, the subtleties of tone can be negated by the noise in such cases, and cannot be as appreciated or even heard in those venues as in quieter ones. And certainly, quieter whistles get lost in such environs usually. I don't like bland toned whistles either, if they are weak or have an uninteresting tone. But yes, of course, loud whistles can have very interesting tones too.

My Reviol is one of the loudest (along with very nice tone-one of my favorites for the 2nd octave) low whistles that I have played, along with a Copeland I had, and is quite a contrast in loudness to the all brass prototype Reyburn I just received. Which reminds me a great deal of the standard bore Maple head version, though maybe not quite as NAF sounding as the others, possibly from the all brass construction. I have not tried an MK, but don't see the need either, for me. I'm sure they are fine whistles.

It's all good, and just depends on your perspective and needs. It's great to have so many choices, though it can be daunting to players just coming into the lows to find their preferences. That's mainly why I post, just to help others who might be seeking their voice in a low whistle.

Personally, I can't only have one, or two-I like the variety available, and play and enjoy them each for their own distinctive tones and will for as long as I am able to do so. I'm just a tone junkie, and can't help that I wish I was more focused on the music.
~~~~
Barry
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I suppose this goes to show how much whistles and/or our perceptions of volume may differ. I own both a copeland and a quite old reviol low D, and they are my two favourite low D's, by a very wide margin. However, they are nowhere near the loudest I've played. Goldie, Burke, and MK are all louder (and I think Reyburn, too, if I am recalling correctly). The Copeland and Reviol aren't quiet by any means, but they are not even close to the volume of any MK I've played.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, but it's not always just an individual's perception involved-often just comparing one Copeland or one Reviol or one....fill in the blank...as being the norm for that brand can be too small a sampling of a maker's whistles over time to think most were like that one or two we've played.

Whistles all change in characteristics over a maker's lifetime, as their specs vary from model to model, and whistle to whistle at times as well. Some makers offer tailoring a player's wants and needs on a single whistle, so variation in whistles on the used market are not always what is "the norm" for them at the time. Copelands were known to vary quite a bit from whistle to whistle from what I've read, though I don't know why, other than they were made by hand for the most part, like most whistles. Even whistles that were made in larger quantities, like Chieftains, still had variables from one to the next, even if they were voiced and tuned similarly.

Maybe my volume "meter" is off because I have sensitive hearing, so what I think is loud might be an average volume to another...could easily be some of that involved too. Those who may have some hearing impairments might think my loud whistles are soft in volume! You never know where someone is coming from, unless you use their ears...hard to do. Or maybe since I haven't really played a loud whistle, such as an MK, maybe that lack of data base for me influences how I hear the world too? Would I need earplugs to play one comfortably? Probably not-but it makes me wonder.

My world is full of too loud noises, that set my jaw and make me frown, far too often for my liking. That is one reason that I've never really wanted to try some reportedly loud whistles-and why I prefer low whistles to highs too. So, yeah, your mileage may indeed vary here.
~~~~
Barry