International Foods Exhibited--A Thread by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
izzarina wrote:
mcfeeley wrote:On this board, how could we leave out the Ulster Fry? :lol:
Does the Ulster Fry leave out the black pudding?
Oddly enough, the only time I had Black Pudding in a Pan Dip (the other name for it) was in Scotland.

So yes, we have no black pudding.

One for the ethnologists there. :)
I've heard that it's a main part of the "Traditional Irish Breakfast", but I wasn't sure if that included the Ulster Fry. I think that if I ever have breakfast out over there, I'll have to make sure I have it in the North ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I.D.10-t wrote:I think that the joy of cooking has a recipe for scrapple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
Goodness, I had heard of scrapple but had no idea it was cornmeal and bits of pork. That was quite a surprise. I would definitely like to give it a try. Actually, everything on this thread has looked so good ----well, I don't know about the deep-fried pizza!---I wish I could try every single thing. I love this thread. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Congratulations wrote:
chrisoff wrote:Image
Deep Fried Pizza
WHAT IS THAT AND WHERE DO I GET IT?!
it's a deep fried pizza. You can get it from many fine chip shops in scotland, and lots of rubbish ones.
djm

Post by djm »

At first I thought by "deep fried pizza" you meant panzerotti, which is big in this area for some reason (not my fave). I'm not sure I would go for the deep fried version as shown.

Weeks, poutine is Quebec's contribution to world cuisine, and it is not so common elsewhere in Canada (certainly not well-made poutine).

I'm surprised no-one from B.C. has mentioned Nanaimo bars. Now there's something to kill for!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Breakfast: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, 2 fried eggs, fried tomatoes, and biscuits 'n gravy. Coffee.

Lunch: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy. On biscuits. Coke.

Dinner: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, green-bean casserole, sweet potato souffle, fruit cobbler, and biscuits 'n gravy. Ice tea, sweet. (If the sugar isn't piled up in the bottom, it's not sweet enough.)

rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Lambchop, your post reminds me of a story. One day the cafeteria where we usually ate lunch at work was serving chicken-fried steak. One of my co-workers ordered it, which really surprised me as she avoided red meat and fried foods.

When we're just about through eating, she said, "that's the funniest tasting chicken I ever ate." I explained to her that it was steak. "No, it's fried chicken." I said, "No, it's fried steak". She was still confused: "It's a chicken steak, fried. But I've never heard of a chicken steak before." I said, "No. It's beef. Steak. Fried. Like chicken. So it's chicken-fried steak. Chicken is an adjective." I think she still didn't totally get it until I explained it again a couple of times, then she shook her head and said, "Well, that explains the taste, but I still don't know why they call it chicken!"

She's a very intelligent person, but Wisconsin born and bred and doesn't understand Southern stuff.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

rebl_rn wrote:She's a very intelligent person, but Wisconsin born and bred and doesn't understand Southern stuff.
Sounds like she doesn't understand single-thought adjectives.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The taste would surely be a puzzle, Reb! Divine though it may be.

Alternative Breakfast: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy over grits.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Country ham with red eye gravy and grits, with biscuits and sausage gravy.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

And a biiiiiiig ol' mess o' greens!
djm

Post by djm »

Man, I'm gaining pounds just reading this thread! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

If Charleston, SC were a country, its national food would be shrimp and grits, I think.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:Breakfast: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, 2 fried eggs, fried tomatoes, and biscuits 'n gravy. Coffee.

Lunch: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy. On biscuits. Coke.

Dinner: Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, green-bean casserole, sweet potato souffle, fruit cobbler, and biscuits 'n gravy. Ice tea, sweet. (If the sugar isn't piled up in the bottom, it's not sweet enough.)

Oh man, I was looking at pictures of chicken-fried steak before I decided on deviled eggs. I could just cry looking at that picture. Long ago my mom and I took a trip and I started having chicken-fried steak, which I'd never had before, in all sorts of different restaurants seeing how the different recipes were. I haven't had it in years now. My mouth is actually aching :lol: !
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Lambchop wrote:Country ham with red eye gravy and grits, with biscuits and sausage gravy.
Oh, Lamby, one of my co-workers is going out of town this weekend, and we told him to drive through Waverly, VA. That's home to Adams Peanuts, but also damn close to Smithfield, the Country Ham Capital of the World. We told him in no uncertain terms to get some ham biscuits when he was there. My tummy's been rumbling ever since. Country ham is God's gift to mankind, even if it's a good way to meet God prematurely. . .

And don't even get me started on biscuits and gravy. I was singing their praises to my New England parents just yesterday, and I think I'll be cooking up some this weekend.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I've been dying for poutine since page 1. I usually make it myself ( if I have cheese curds on hand) but Harvey's ( hamburger joint) has a reasonable facsimile....