Buyer Beware -- "Tin Whistle" crap now on Amazon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jlunt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jlunt »

Amazon.com can sell what it wants. I think what bothers me about this, based on what I've read here, is that Amazon is trying to manipulate the market by determining which reviews stay and which get deleted. And there appears to be a very distinct slant to their choices. If they choose to have an open forum where people can review a product, they have a moral, if not legal, obligation to let ALL posts remain. Otherwise they're no better than those tacky 2:00 AM info-mercials that pay actors to speak as if they are legitimately satisfied customers. Such an attitude goes against the standards of a free-market economy.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

It sounds like snake charming music!

At least people can hear it's crap before they buy it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

jlunt wrote:Amazon.com can sell what it wants. I think what bothers me about this, based on what I've read here, is that Amazon is trying to manipulate the market by determining which reviews stay and which get deleted. And there appears to be a very distinct slant to their choices. If they choose to have an open forum where people can review a product, they have a moral, if not legal, obligation to let ALL posts remain. Otherwise they're no better than those tacky 2:00 AM info-mercials that pay actors to speak as if they are legitimately satisfied customers. Such an attitude goes against the standards of a free-market economy.
Yes, I've always suspected that Amazon edits its comments to favor
sales. Because... well, duh, they're trying to sell CDs. Anyone who
bases their purchase on Amazon comments deserves what they get...
There are plenty of non-biased opinions on the Internet, and plenty
that are and biased for a reson other than sales.
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

well i have seen 5 pages of cutdowns on this player of whistles, including my own -- :oops: but this person is making money--------------i think he/she is laughing all the way to the bank--------------also i think we have let our pride take the place of admonishment-----------i hope if any of you potential sellers of your music make a CD we dont hack up one of own own again------------ i guess if we dont have anything nice to say we should not say it----------i for one apologise for my arrogance and ridicule of a fellow whistler and brother
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

cavefish wrote:well i have seen 5 pages of cutdowns on this player of whistles, including my own -- :oops: but this person is making money--------------i think he/she is laughing all the way to the bank--------------also i think we have let our pride take the place of admonishment-----------i hope if any of you potential sellers of your music make a CD we dont hack up one of own own again------------ i guess if we dont have anything nice to say we should not say it----------i for one apologise for my arrogance and ridicule of a fellow whistler and brother
What are you talking about? Did we determine that this guy actually plays whistles? So... confused....
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

cavefish wrote:well i have seen 5 pages of cutdowns on this player of whistles, including my own -- :oops: but this person is making money--------------i think he/she is laughing all the way to the bank--------------also i think we have let our pride take the place of admonishment-----------i hope if any of you potential sellers of your music make a CD we dont hack up one of own own again------------ i guess if we dont have anything nice to say we should not say it----------i for one apologise for my arrogance and ridicule of a fellow whistler and brother
Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? Did you listen to the clips? Does that sound like a "player of whistles" to you? Are you suggesting we should advocate fraud because the perpetrator is making money? Is your name, by any coincidence, Michael Hamilton, or are you one of his shills?
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

cavefish wrote: a fellow whistler and brother
My Irish-American ass he is! :swear:
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

fearfaoin wrote:
What are you talking about? Did we determine that this guy actually plays whistles? So... confused....
no the sound to is some eastern flute of south american whistle or something -maybe digital , i dont like it at all----------i am not advocating fraud--------i am just saying he is making money with this -------which is alot more than some of us are doing-------thats it-------i am not cutting you , or the people on this forum down ----------i am as involved as anybody-i just think chopping up someone is a little bit to much :D
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

River Otter wrote:
cavefish wrote: a fellow whistler and brother
My Irish-American ass he is! :swear:
well maybe you got me on that one :D -i was just being respectfull---------
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

cavefish wrote:no the sound to is some eastern flute of south american whistle or something
No, it's not. It's computer generated. The "artist" in question
created some software that will generate bagpipe sounds if
you input musical notes, the way a MIDI program would. He
has extended this to Fiddle and Whistle. He used the program
to generate this and other CDs, and passes them off as actual
bagpipe or whistle CDs, which is false advertising.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

We're not cutting anyone down. He is not a 'player of whistles.' He makes electronic sounds on his computer and then sells it as if it were real whistle and pipe music. He's cheating people. It's called theft, not selling music.
Last edited by gallant_murray on Fri May 25, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

River Otter wrote:
Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? Did you listen to the clips? Does that sound like a "player of whistles" to you? Are you suggesting we should advocate fraud because the perpetrator is making money? Is your name, by any coincidence, Michael Hamilton, or are you one of his shills?
CALM DOWN ------DID YOU MAKE ANY CD's ARE YOU SELLING YOUR STUFF ON AMAZON-----------THATS ALL I AM SAYING ----------IT WOULD SEEM SCRATCHING ON A CHALKBOARD WILL MAKE MONEY, AND THIS GUY DID IT---------
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

fearfaoin wrote:
cavefish wrote:no the sound to is some eastern flute of south american whistle or something
No, it's not. It's computer generated. The "artist" in question
created some software that will generate bagpipe sounds if
you input musical notes, the way a MIDI program would. He
has extended this to Fiddle and Whistle. He used the program
to generate this and other CDs, and passes them off as actual
bagpipe or whistle CDs, which is false advertising.
it would appear digital-i only listened to about 10 seconds of this stuff ------and thought Yuk-------before--------------i just listened again digital was my first thought
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

cavefish wrote:it would appear digital-i only listened to about 10 seconds of this stuff ------and thought Yuk-------before--------------i just listened again digital was my first thought
Sorry cavefish, it does more than just appear digital. Check out Mr. Hamilton's website: http://www.mocroi.com/ . We're not insulting this guy's playing. He's not playing anything.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

cavefish wrote:
River Otter wrote:
CALM DOWN ------DID YOU MAKE ANY CD's ARE YOU SELLING YOUR STUFF ON AMAZON-----------THATS ALL I AM SAYING ----------IT WOULD SEEM SCRATCHING ON A CHALKBOARD WILL MAKE MONEY, AND THIS GUY DID IT---------
So anything that makes money out of false representation is to be applauded?

Say, now I think of it, there's a nice bridge over here in London that I can let you have for, let me see, how about $50 million?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing