Flatley on Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Flatley on Flute

Post by s1m0n »

I dunno about you, David, but I'm slagging his boastfulness, veracity and taste, not his playing.
Last edited by s1m0n on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Buddy can play. Questions about his taste, and his modest, are valid. But he can play, and it's not right to downplay that.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Blackwood wrote:And apparently there is an audience for cheesy.
Velveeta goes with a lot of things.
Blackwood wrote:Dare I say Yanni?
Tuh tuh tuh. :really: Yawnie has a Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from the University of Minnesota.

There's a market for everything.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

There are plenty of players in Ireland whose opinions I respect and who rate Flatley pretty high. Never mind what else he's gotten up to.

Rob
shoner

Post by shoner »

Holy crap, 5 pages and I'm adding to it. I'm a sorrowful arse and claim whiskey as me downfall. Wacker Drive indeed, more like wonker drivel. That's Lake Shore Dr mate, with the photo taken at the lakefront around Shedd Aquarium. And furthermore I venture to say that those tracks were sped up digitally. He's a much better player than than likes of most on this board but it's still schite in my most deliriously inebriated opinion. That said, I'd be most happy to play tunes with the man and would have no problem apologizing for my inopportune comments.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

shoner wrote:And furthermore I venture to say that those tracks were sped up digitally.
Not in 1980, it wasn't.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

And furthermore I venture to say that those tracks were sped up digitally.
This looks to be in playback (taking breath in the wrong moments?), but his fingers respond well. Looks disgusting though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHZdpgf ... =1&index=8
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Denny

Post by Denny »

I went from Othannen's post of Michael's video to Big Davy's post of Cherish the Ladies at Catskills Irish Arts Week

Different world, innit :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Think I can be of some assistance here, guys. My first ever trip to Ireland was to the Buncrana Fleadh in 1976. At that Fleadh, I bought an LP record, on the somewhat obscure "Dolphin" label, called "Flead Ceoil '75".[sic] That particular recording appears to be a mixture of recordings by competition winners of that year, and various visitors to the Fleadh.
Michael Flatley has 2 tracks of reels on it, and I believe them to be his very first recordings. According to the 1976 Fleadh programme, the "reigning champion" in the 16-18 age group was a "M.Flattery"[sic].
His name appears in the programme as a competitor in the following competitions, somewhat bizarrely, in 2 different age groups :
Concert Flute - 16-18 age group
Tin Whistle - 16-18 age group
Duets - with Kevin Henry - Over-18 age group
I was in the audience at the 16-18 whistle competition, and he didn't show, so I don't think he came to the Fleadh that year - ie, 1976.
He did show up the following year at the 1977 Fleadh in Ennis, in the Senior Flute competition, and had a play-off for 3rd place with that great Dublin player, Mick Gavin [ I can't remember which of them won ]. Kevin Henry was also listed as a competitor, but I'm pretty sure he didn't show up. He and Kevin Henry were both listed in the Over-18 duets, but they couldn't compete as it would seem that Kevin Henry didn't come over that year.
So, as far as I know, Michael Flatley has never won a Senior All-Ireland medal for flute, but it appears that he did win a 16-18 age group medal in 1975.

For what it's worth, I've always liked Flatley's playing, especially on the reels.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The viewer comment, "The drummer was amazing," was my favorite because it made me do a double-take for what, in this crowd, ought to be obvious reasons.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

that's the ticket....pick on the drummer :wink: :thumbsup:

I'll be in the hand basket
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:that's the ticket....pick on the drummer :wink: :thumbsup:

I'll be in the hand basket
Am I to be misunderstood by all? (he wailed, having gotten PMs about this too)

I'm pickin' on the comment, fercryinoutloud. I don't know what's not obvious in my writing if people would just take a moment to respond to IT instead of to their inner monologues. Like, if I'm not slaggin' Flatley, then surely I must be slaggin' the skins (hey, that was irony, folks :thumbsup: ). And yes, this makes me cranky.

Looks like I'll have to reapproach this one and draw it with a crayon, then. Like, here's this big fabulous bravura fluteplaying (just forget the act for a moment) extravaganza of brilliancy - and what other point to the whole deal, for a trad fluteplayer, should there be? - and then out of all this wild savage glory a lone little voice from the peanut gallery pipes up and sez, "Drummer = Wow." Enter Nano, saying, "Drummer? Really? And Flatley was what? Backup?"

I hope all you triggerhappy reactionaires could hear my sigh over the pixels.

I'm fit to start signing off with "Peace and Lurve :love: ".....just like Uilliam does over in the Uilleann Pipes Forum.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Two men for whom I have enormous respect both think Flatley is a lovely person and a great musician: Mike Rafferty and Matt Molloy.
I don't know MF personally but their word is good enough for me.
Flatley is a performer, fer chrissake. I don't know what modesty means in this regard. The man can play and the man can dance.
He put his time in to get where is now and he sure didn't get here by slagging other people publicly on a pissant thread.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Denny

Post by Denny »

I really didn't think anyone was slaggin' him David. Are you sure that it isn't just your expectations reading into the posts?

Note: I've also commented on aspects of Ian Anderson's act.

So whaddaya think of Lady Gaga?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:I really didn't think anyone was slaggin' him David.
Sure some have been slagging. Any time the subject of Flatley comes up, this is bound to happen. We all know this. He's a bright shiny object.
Denny wrote:Are you sure that it isn't just your expectations reading into the posts?
Worth asking; I thought I was being cranky.