I don't like/play ITM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: I don't like/play ITM

Post by Denny »

Jim, there is a small red exclamation point clicky above the quote button. (ah, lower right corner of each post)

This will initiate a PM to the mod group and copy the post that the clicky is in. You then have an opportunity to select from a list if issues and add whatever text/explanation you choose.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Denny wrote:Jim, there is a small red exclamation point clicky above the quote button. (ah, lower right corner of each post)

This will initiate a PM to the mod group and copy the post that the clicky is in. You then have an opportunity to select from a list if issues and add whatever text/explanation you choose.
Helpful. Thanks
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

jim stone wrote:That's fair too. Will err in that direction. And I do, at some point, stand publically
for people I see as treated unfairly. I guess it's my personal style.
Been in jail a number of times because of it. Thanks.
Come, come, Jim Stone. I too stand up for people being treated unfairly but that is defo not the case here. I asked, in my post, if mute had a response to my post. I don't think that unfair or unjust. I admit what Nano edited may have been ??? but certainly not in the case that you are describing. I'm still waiting for that "script" Nano, I needs me some chill pills.
cboody

Post by cboody »

To try mightily to get back to the original issue here (fat chance I'll succeed :) )

I'm not at all sure what "play ITM" might mean to the various readers. Does it mean play tunes that seem to be from Ireland? Does it mean to aspire to play in some particular style (bearing in mind that regional styles in Ireland can be quite different)? Does it mean become an "ITM snob" (I'm not picking on anyone. there are bluegrass snobs and old-timey snobs and jazz snobs etc. etc.), in which case you look down your nose at anyone who has meddled with the tradition since 1960 or so. Good luck with that last sentence!!

I play some Irish tunes. I play some Scottish tunes. I have played branles (we love to call them Bransels) on whistle. I've played an occasional Breton tune. I've played slow stuff from everywhere and have written some. I don't claim to play any of it strictly in the tradition. I try to respect the music and not harm it, but I really don't much care where a tune comes from if it is, in my book, a good tune.

I do notice some interesting things about my whistle playing though:

1) I don't tongue much. When I play recorder I articulate all the time, but not on whistle.
2) I find my fingers doing cuts and strikes from time to time even if the music is not "Irish."
3) When playing I can get all bound up in repeatedly playing a jig or reel that I wouldn't want to spend 2 minutes listening to.
4) I find Mary Bergin amazing to say the least, but I really don't want to listen to much of her. I feel the same way about Micho Russell, but can listen a bit longer.

So, you tell me: Do I like ITM???
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Mary Bergin and Micho Russel have such different styles that if you don't like either one of them then I would think that you just don't much care for ITM. Nothing wrong with that. ITM ain't everone's cup of tea.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

R Small wrote:Mary Bergin and Micho Russel have such different styles that if you don't like either one of them then I would think that you just don't much care for ITM. Nothing wrong with that. ITM ain't everone's cup of tea.
I don't agree with that. As it happens, I love both those players' stuff. But there's plenty of room in the ITM fold, and plenty of other styles apart from those two. I can quite easily imagine someone not liking either of them and still loving all sorts of other stuff that one would call ITM.
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

R Small wrote:Mary Bergin and Micho Russel have such different styles that if you don't like either one of them then I would think that you just don't much care for ITM. Nothing wrong with that. ITM ain't everone's cup of tea.
But this raises the issue really of what "the tradition" really is, doesn't it? What I've heard of both of these musicians is very impressive. But you could get the impression on this list that there is really only one way to play this music.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

I'm sure that's true.

It's a bit like India: you can travel all over the subcontinent, there are totally different styles of food, languages, religions, ways of dressing, customs, landscapes, even ethnic types - but there's something that says "India" about the whole thing that's it's hard to define just what it is.

Edit - this was in response to a Gumbyism that seems to have disappeared in the meantime.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Errmm. My wife would probably dislike both of them, but on the other hand likes lots of fiddlers. I myself don't like listening to whistle nearly as much as playing it.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Mr. Gumby is practicing hypnotism on this Board - I could watch that yellow bus run over the purple smiley icon all day!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Mary and Micho to my ears represent two ends of the spectrum of Irish whistling styles. Micho is simple and spare. Mary is technical and complex. I realize that leaves alot of area in between for different styles.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

R Small wrote:Mary and Micho to my ears represent two ends of the spectrum of Irish whistling styles. Micho is simple and spare. Mary is technical and complex. I realize that leaves alot of area in between for different styles.
I don't see the entirety of ITM as being linear in that way, with one "end" or another. I don't even see it as being circular, with lots of points in between. I'm just wondering if even three dimensions are enough. It's a whole big universe ...

... of course, I live in several.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I can quite easily imagine someone not liking either of them and still loving all sorts of other stuff that one would call ITM.

:love:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Yeah. See? Proper trad. I mean, you only have to look at the tie. Only a true lover of 'the music' could carry it off.

Plus, of course, he is my idol. So I'll see your :love: and raise you one :thumbsup: , a :waah: and seven :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: s