Learning Tin Whistle - Lesson recordings, Bill Ochs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: The Lewis Bridal Song

Post by Peter Duggan »

Jleo Fipple wrote:Could you pass some thoughts on my newest recording it'd would be appreciated :)
No, sorry, because I'm not at all convinced that it will...
Jleo Fipple wrote:Bugger whatever you like! what are you getting in a flap about? Peter has fingers why do you feel the need to jump all over a conversation between to members are you a moderator or a mouth piece?
Peter might well have fingers, but he's 1. tired of trying to help when you keep rejecting his advice, 2. grateful to MTGuru for the backup and 3. not posting to this thread again now!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Re: Learning Tin Whistle - Lesson recordings, Bill Ochs

Post by MTGuru »

Jleo, if you are more interested in screaming at others than learning something from teachers here who genuinely know what they're talking about and are volunteering to help - which is, I presume, a reason for beginners to participate here and ask questions - you'll make little progress.

If I say the word "dog" and you write the word "cat", you've made a mistake. It doesn't matter if you show me a chart with the word "cat" on it. It's not what I said. :wink: And it's certainly nothing to become angry about.

Listen again to Andreas' clip. And listen carefully to that third-to-last note. Match it up with the same note on a piano, or whistle, or glockenspiel - it doesn't matter. Identify the pitch of the note. And write that note down.

As a hint ... Andreas is playing a D whistle, and fingering that third-to-last note as xxxxoo. What pitch is that?

Question: Why, do you think, would Peter and I tell you you've made an error if you hadn't made an error?

[ And thanks to Peter for a minor correction. ]
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
German Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by German Whistler »

what a pitty, this was a good exercise to do
thats why i did not send the notes to that exra part and a soundfile instead, so that one should/could/ had to learn it by ear and writing it down was a good aditional exersice, as i learnd when i wrote down "me a gar eur goulmik" and did it wrong, i am still trying to understand all that in my thred ( i am still reading there) and in this one about it
it was a good, interesting and helpfull, conversation to read and to learn

do we just have some case of missunderstanding here right now?
to easily things which were written down firendly, are understood unfriendly while readed (right word?)
or is it just too hot in your countries too as it is herer in germany right now?

lets not end this in anger
i think i understand why there should be that "#" sign in the beginning to make a "f#" out of an "f" .... but i dont understand why Jleo think its not needed cause its in "C" or so .... this would be another chance for many, as for me, to learn, dont end it in anger .... we all seem to be nice guys dont we ;-)
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

German Whistler wrote:i think i understand why there should be that "#" sign in the beginning to make a "f#" out of an "f" .... but i dont understand why Jleo think its not needed cause its in "C" or so
Exactly. The clip you played is in G Major, not C. If one likes charts, one can look up the key signature of G Major, and use that.

Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Andreas if the F note should be sharp thats cool. Simply means I heard an F instead of an F sharp (my transcribing software allows me to listen back what I've notated) I was incorrect but only you would actually know by looking at the original notation. No one else can provide the proof as you made the recording. Peter Duggan and Mtguru insisted that it was an F sharp but provided no proof. If I was to write a piece of music purely in the key of C there would be no F sharp, not unless I wanted one.

With that all said my apologies for any offense I may have caused.

Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Whistler

well, the more impirtant thing is

i am still sure, no one here did mean to be unfriendly and it was just a missunderstanding thing, friendly teaching on one side and not unfriendly, not understanding why, ... does these words make sence? well, in german they would

lets be happy that we have music ;-) and lets hope i can write and read it soon ... oh and being able to play it well would be nice as well

oh there is a new message since i wrote....
JLeo maybe they , with well trained ears did hear that its a D whistle and did hear the difference between f and f#?

well i dont hear the difference between a d and an f (i have to try which one suites and still have to do that several times untill i am still unsure, but my ears are very untrained
or maybe its because generaly notation for whsitle is made in d?
i dont know, thats why i dont understand all of it i think

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:Peter might well have fingers, but he's 1. tired of trying to help when you keep rejecting his advice, 2. grateful to MTGuru for the backup and 3. not posting to this thread again now!
Afraid you've dragged me back for one last time here...
Jleo Fipple wrote:Andreas if the F note should be sharp thats cool. Simply means I heard an F instead of an F sharp (my transcribing software allows me to listen back what I've notated) I was incorrect but only you would actually know by looking at the original notation.
No, almost anyone who listened to the recording would know and many would also deduce it from your notation.
No one else can provide the proof as you made the recording. Peter Duggan and Mtguru insisted that it was an F sharp but provided no proof.
There was plenty of 'proof' in both recording and context, and suggesting that Andreas's printed source was somehow more important than what he actually played (the same in both cases as it happens) in establishing the accuracy of your transcription of the recording is both ludicrous and (yet again) offensive when attached to our names like that!
German Whistler wrote:oh there is a new message since i wrote....
JLeo maybe they , with well trained ears did hear that its a D whistle and did hear the difference between f and f#?
Bingo!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Woof!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
German Whistler

Peter Duggan wrote:Afraid you've dragged me back for one last time here...
hope i can make you stay, because we can learn a lot from you
i keep saying; i am sure, there was just missunderstanding between 2 friendly nice guys, whose discussion, however it was written/understood, was helpfull and made me understand more of musictheory ... and i realy need to understand more of it ;-)

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Denny wrote:Woof!
D ... E ... N-N-Y ... :-)
German Whistler wrote:JLeo maybe they , with well trained ears did hear that its a D whistle and did hear the difference between f and f#?
Yes, of course. Does it seem amazing?

Jleo, your transcriptions are now correct.

I am still trying to figure out why you keep mentioning the key of C. I have a feeling you don't yet understand what that really means, or how keys and key signatures (and scales and modes etc.) work. There's no shame in that - it's hard for beginners to integrate all the isolated bits and pieces. But believe me, this stuff is all very, very rudimentary for us. And at least at this level, very cut and dried and factual and not a matter for debate.

And I'm not sure what you mean by proof. Did you understand and actually carry out what I wrote above?
Listen again to Andreas' clip. And listen carefully to that third-to-last note. Match it up with the same note on a piano, or whistle, or glockenspiel - it doesn't matter. Identify the pitch of the note. And write that note down.
That would be a good start.

Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Jleo Fipple wrote:Regarding the notation this is my own transcription from a recording Andreas supplied here http://www.andreas-fischer-privat.de/no ... t2-eco.wav and
I notated what I was hearing in the Key of C. Andreas let me know how accurate my transcription is in comparison to your original notation.
Well, I'm not Andreas, but I knew what you were transcribing and am afraid you've notated his G tune in G Mixolydian (not C!) and your notation is still wrong without the F#...
Since you're back to rub my nose in it a little more explain this. My notation below doesn't start on G so how could it be in G Mixolydian as per your quote. It's obviously in A Aeolian, as the tonal center is A i.e. C Major's natural minor scale.
Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:
Denny wrote:Woof!
D ... E ... N-N-Y ... :-)
I know... I'd managed all day too!

channeling Image, he was.

still miss that one :(
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jleo Fipple wrote:My notation below doesn't start on G so how could it be in G Mixolydian as per your quote. It's obviously in A Aeolian, as the tonal center is A i.e. C Major's natural minor scale.
Could ya put the F# back in and call it A Dorian so we can get over this?
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Denny wrote:
Jleo Fipple wrote:My notation below doesn't start on G so how could it be in G Mixolydian as per your quote. It's obviously in A Aeolian, as the tonal center is A i.e. C Major's natural minor scale.
Could ya put the F# back in and call it A Dorian so we can get over this?
Denny you might as well join the slaggin' since you've added nothing to any content in this thread that I created for feedback on my recordings all I've got so far is lots non positive reactions on the F sharp fly in the soup and none willing to explain but very willing and able to completely ignore anything else my thread has to offer. I hope your 23k posts had more to offer others than your input above :lol:

A Dorian derived from the G major scale so yes it would require an F sharp.
German Whistler

MTGuru wrote:
German Whistler wrote:JLeo maybe they , with well trained ears did hear that its a D whistle and did hear the difference between f and f#?
Yes, of course. Does it seem amazing?
To me. YES of course - does that seem amazing to you?

Dont forget there are people in this world who never learned something about music before, even not in school and start very late with it. -... Like me.
You could play an "F" and tell me its an "Y", i would be surprised there is an "Y" but ask where it comes from and that i tought there are just a,b,c,d,e,f,and g and those again and again (wondering how many times again) ;-)

I am a musicidiot trying to learn.
Maybe your regular students are to talentet or well trained before you see them?
We are Beginers here and if we dont understand ...well than we dont understand.

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)