No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:My TV's dead.
Passed on? Pushin' up the daisies? Gone to meet its maker? Demised? Ceased to be? Bereft of life? Is it a LATE television?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pinin' for the Fjords. And meanwhile I'm pinin' for Amish Mafia.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Pinin' for the Fjords. [/i].
Are Norwegians particularly well-known for manufacturing tellies? Was your telly made in Norway?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Pinin' for the Fjords.
Was your telly made in Norway?
Somehow I very much doubt it. The Fjords of Malaysia, more likely.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

And meanwhile I'm pinin' for Amish Mafia.
Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: What goes clippety-clop-BANG! Clippety-clop-BANG!!

A: An Amish drive-by shooting. :D
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:... lyrically heroic Greek names and places like Stegosaurus, Icicles, Apron, Trachea, Salami, Peon, Hippies, Rebates, Lampoon, Demeanor, Bogus, Broadax, Canapes, and Expander.
I've been to Bogus. It was ... not as advertised.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Please Higher Power, please get this poor suffering man a TV. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GFqhCq2HA
"Mercedes Benz"

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?

Everybody!
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Everything but the Benz, thanks. Parts and service costs are - oh, "imaginative", shall we say.

Okay, so update: I was told the Decision from On High was that they would replace the entire unit. Only thing was, they don't have any in stock. Of course. Imagine that. I was, like, "Seriously?" More nothin', and no big surprise there. So they would get back to me with more detail and options - or as reality turned out, I got back to them - and found that no, they would now instead be replacing the main board (implied meaning: to see what that did). At least those seem to be in stock. "And what if that doesn't work?" I asked. "Then we escalate," came the reply. I'm pretty sure I hear him say it in italics. Escalate. The word fails to cheer me or inspire confidence, if it was supposed to do that. I suspect "escalate" means "thrash and flail about, then after wasting even more time capitulate to to good sense and proper service, and replace the whole bloody unit in the end after all". On this Saturday I will be waiting with fingers crossed. I may even sacrifice a kid. Never did like those scabby-kneed runny-nosed little basmatis anyway. Oh, wait. You all thought I meant a baby goat, didn't you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:... lyrically heroic Greek names and places like Stegosaurus, Icicles, Apron, Trachea, Salami, Peon, Hippies, Rebates, Lampoon, Demeanor, Bogus, Broadax, Canapes, and Expander.
I've been to Bogus. It was ... not as advertised.
IOW it was the real deal? I confess you've left me a bit confused, as you might understand.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I've been to Bogus. It was ... not as advertised.
IOW it was the real deal? I confess you've left me a bit confused, as you might understand.
Oh, darn. That was an angle that I had not considered.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I've been to Bogus. It was ... not as advertised.
Oh, darn. That was an angle that I had not considered.
Yeah, it's sort of like telling someone the conundrum, "I'm lying to you," isn't it.
Tor

Post by Tor »

There's a guy over on another forum who is incredibly productive.. his day job has long hours and is quite demanding, even so he churns out designs, research, products in his spare time at an impressive rate. So naturally somebody asked "how do you manage it?". His answer? He decided long ago to stop watching TV.

-Tor
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

And so you're saying......?

Look. I could say that by now it's the principle of the thing, but it's still under freakin' warranty. You know. That's pretty much water under the bridge, now, innit. That die is cast. The deal is done. Getting rid of it at this point would be a financially absurd stupidity bigger than keeping it would be a moral one, if you want from general principles. If you're meaning to appeal to my guilt and shame for the vulgarity of owning a TV and expecting that it be fixed for free after 5 months of ownership because the contract gives me a year, you've picked the wrong guy. Which leads me to point out what I thought was obvious all along, that this thread is really in the main a journal of my dealing with being at the lumpish mercy of blind and evidently disconcerned bureaucracy, a seldom thing for me. What got me there is ultimately of no importance except as vehicle for the tale. And by the way, I've noticed a curious thing: myself, I'm not really any more productive with the tube out of the picture. Must be all those books that are supposed to be so much better for me. I guess it looks like we've shot that theory all to hell. So...how about all you walking rebukes promise to stop telling me to ditch the tube for my own good, and I'll promise to, oh, let's say, not tell people with MS that they need to exercise more. Deal?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

mutepointe wrote:Please Higher Power, please get this poor suffering man a TV. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GFqhCq2HA
"Mercedes Benz"
Damn, I'm so lame for missing that one. I just listened to most of Janis's catalogue last weekend, too. She was one of a kind, but her output was amazingly uneven.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Yeah, you're lame. Mercedes Benz is one of the songs that I play on my flute in a very non-Janis Joplin style. When I'm playing this song for other people, I'll preface the song by saying, "This song is a prayer." About halfway through the first verse they smile or chuckle.

If I could play the flute like she sang, I would.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦