Chieftain V-4 low D whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SKC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Chieftain V-4 low D whistle tour

Post by SKC »

I would agree on all points.
Dulcimer Bill

Post by Dulcimer Bill »

Optima came in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Dealing with frozen pipes. But, did get them unfrozen. Now to have fun with a different pipe tomorrow!
Dulcimer Bill

Post by Dulcimer Bill »

So I had a chance today to check out the Optima. One thing I've learned playing mountain dulcimers over the years is if your trying a new one, you have to get your mind away from the sound of the one you are used to. So when I started to play the Optima, I took the same track. Not to compare yet with what I have but how this one plays to me. I may not describe things well but hopefully you "whistle heads" can help me. First thought was the bell note. We dulcimer players live quite a bit around the bell note. Our strings are tuned Dad. Granted, this whistle is new to me, but I had to "search" for the right air to get it loud but not jump to the second octave. That could come with practice, but volume was low. Next is the second octive G and A. It's like I'm hearing a harmonic? If that's the right term. I hear my note but an underlying second note. Maybe same note lower octive? Breath control doesn't help. Im not looking for a whistle to play by myself. I'm very active in my dulcimer group and we play out quite a bit. So, tomorrow I'll get my others out and compare. I don't have an extensive set. A fairly new Susato, a 2004 Chieftan V3, a Tony Dixon ( older I'm sure, no model number) and a Becker PVC. So more to follow.
Joe Gerardi

Post by Joe Gerardi »

You should post this in (or the mods should move it to) the Kerry Optima Review thread. It would work better there.

..Joe
Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Dulcimer Bill

Post by Dulcimer Bill »

Sorry guys. My bad.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Anyone know the whereabouts of the V4? The last report of it was on Jan 6, which was 12 days ago! Seems a long time, especially when you're waiting for it to head in your direction (back East)! :poke:
~~~~
Barry
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I just got the V4 in the mail today!
Whistlin' since 2013
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I only have my Kerry Optima to compare the V4 to, and I'm a novice player, so keep those things in mind while reading this review:

It looks very nice. I like the all aluminum look, definitely gives the V4 a more 'professional' look than the black plastic head on my Optima. I do think it's a bit top heavy, but I got used to it rather quickly.

The curved mouthpiece, and the thickness of it compared to the thin mouthpiece of my Optima, takes some getting used to. I'm not sure if I'll really have enough time to figure that out on this tour. I smacked my teeth a couple of times, luckily I didn't damage anything, but this is something that's never been a problem for me before. I think it should be played more on the lips, but more experienced voices could probably tell me better.

The octave change is much more noticeable on the V4. On my Optima, I can change to the higher octave with relative ease. The V4 requires a good bit more air to push the tone up. However, this does seem to give the whistle a bit more dynamic range.

That being said, the whole whistle seems to need more air and is much more quiet than the Optima.

The scalloped holes do not look very noticeable when put side by side with the Optima but it definitely is felt when holding the V4. The holes do seem a bit easier to find, but after playing for almost a year now, I'm finding that isn't much of a problem except when I try going too fast. However, when performing my arpeggio practice, I found the scalloped holes helped quite a bit when playing at speed.

I enjoyed the whistle, and I'll keep it in mind when I decide to move on from my Optima. However, I do want to try a MK Pro and a Goldie, first. Especially the Low G Goldie, which I might just go ahead and buy if he starts making them again.
Whistlin' since 2013
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

farmerjones wrote: I think it should be played more on the lips, but more experienced voices could probably tell me better.

There are certainly more experienced voices here than I, but-- All whistles should be played on the lips, not bitten!
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Oh no, Never biting on the whistle. But with the thin mouthpiece of the Optima I'm used to, I usually have it more in the lips, rather than outside of them.
Whistlin' since 2013
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's really noticeable on some Low Ds, like my Burke, how the scale changes when you put the mouthpiece further up inside your mouth as opposed to putting your lips close to the end. B in the low octave goes flat if the beak of the mouthpiece isn't kept up inside the mouth. Other Low Ds I've had do that too to various degrees. I have to watch that, because my tendency is to ride up near the end of the mouthpiece.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

I have received the V-4 in good shape and have had just a few minutes with it. The craftsmanship is excellent as I would expect from Phil. I'll post a complete review when I've had some time with it.

Ronaldo
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Is this whistle going in some specific path across the country, or is it just random order? I notice it went from Kentucky to Oregon. I am wondering if I am on this tour or not, as I never got any response or anything.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

The tour participants get a list of people on the tour usually-or at least that's how it was on the last one. So if your name is on it, someone with the whistle should be able to look and see if it's there or not.

I know I'm on the tour, since I did get a confirmatioin, but I'm getting itchy-not knowing when or how much longer it will take to get back here on the East Coast! Oh well, guess it's just wait and see.

Got an email from Phil's site that says he now has the V4s in Low G and
F, tunable and fixed, on sale for a week via his website. Just in case anyone is interested in those keys and the sale.
~~~~
Barry
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

Chris - this was posted on the 2nd page of this thread in mid -November "Well the whistles have arrived and I'll be sending them out on Monday to the first two members - there are so many people signed up that it's been decided to split the two so each member will only have to wait half as long. Phil has asked that you do not take the whistles apart - tuning them in the normal way- no problem. Please send the whistle along to the next member within 5 days after receiving it - As of now, the last member will be receiving it in about 3 month - thanks in advance for your cooperation - Enjoy." One whistle - the Optima started on the east coast and the V-4 started west of the big river. The Optima should be coming your way fairly soon. Regards - Patrick.