Waltzes With Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: Waltzes With Flutes

Post by Julia Delaney »

And at the end of the discussion, with not much resolved and things still unsorted, we have a tune. Just as we would if we were talking about waltzes over a pint during a session pause. And, appropriately enough, a waltz!

Thanks Peter.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

despite impostors like the alleged 5/4 'waltz' of Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony
Tchaikovsky didn't invent that idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTW4X6qfz2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSbQKd27FM (that looks difficult)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHw4nZ684w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRJjkfDdkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1tOKqzf7Qo

How about 8/8?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwCTOXvVqk (I'd call that tune a slow bulgar, but the dancers are waltzing to it)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Julia Delaney wrote:And at the end of the discussion, with not much resolved and things still unsorted, we have a tune. Just as we would if we were talking about waltzes over a pint during a session pause. And, appropriately enough, a waltz!

Thanks Peter.
Thanks for noticing, David, but just been messing with last night's takes again in the cold light of day...
Peter Duggan wrote:Whether or not I'll still be able to stand it in the morning's another matter, but it's here for now...
Never happy, so just pasted in an alternative take of the first part to get rid of some ugly 'crossing noises' between the (XOXXXX) Bbs and Gs. Whether that makes it a 'better' recording when there's other stuff I could equally well have gone after is another matter (dunno?), but I'll try to leave it alone now!
JackCampin wrote:
despite impostors like the alleged 5/4 'waltz' of Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony
Tchaikovsky didn't invent that idea.
Never said he did, Jack!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

"When you waltz through a storm......"
:D :wink: :tomato:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

let's try not to be too serious here :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:let's try not to be too serious here :really:
I'm quite sure you'll never waltz alone, Denny. ;-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jemtheflute wrote:
He'll always have Matilda?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

I.D.10-t wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:
He'll always have Matilda?
In his dreams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9-lAOdQrGo
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

Hi all,
here's some waltzes. The first two I could only find as played on guitar but they definitely suit the flute/whistle, compositions by Johnny Cunningham (Leaving Brittany) and then Johnny Cunningham and Mícheál O'Domhnaíll (The Pernod Waltz). The last one is a waltz type thing I wrote about twenty five years ago and never play (probably for good reasons but throwing it out there anyway, inspired from listening to Dave Brubeck an Take Five).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMMmBnza54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZMReWlg-U

http://soundcloud.com/mcelvogue/02-tom- ... d-ian-carr

Tom
mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Gordon wrote:We're overthinking things, Peter, particularly regarding trad tunes
Aye, that'll be because I'm looking at them from a more pan-musical viewpoint (from where 3/4 can never be synonymous with waltz). Not (to use Nano's words) 'rejecting the other view out of hand' when I'm not against appropriate adaptations either (so there's probably more common ground here than you think), but simply saying Jim's most simplistic definition was too simplistic when there's so much 3/4 music far further removed from waltzability than anything mentioned here.
Peter Duggan wrote:Think it works equally well (maybe better with the top Ds) on my Copley keyless flute, but afraid I was just more comfortable playing whistle for a quick demo!
Anyway, seeing this was also a flute thread, I've dared to make and put up a flute version of mine that's not striking me as too atrocious at this time of night (1:00am here) despite some feeling that the flute tone/vibrancy hasn't quite been caught by my kitchen recording. Whether or not I'll still be able to stand it in the morning's another matter, but it's here for now...

http://www.petestack.com/music/audio/sadie2.mp3

Gorgeous tune Pete, congratulations, definitely one I'd like to learn.

Tom
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yes, I meant to say, Peter - lovely playing, and a grand waltz. Had it in my head for hours - definitely one to learn.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

mcelvogue wrote:The first two I could only find as played on guitar but they definitely suit the flute/whistle, compositions by Johnny Cunningham (Leaving Brittany) and then Johnny Cunningham and Mícheál O'Domhnaíll (The Pernod Waltz).
Aye, both good choices, Tom (got to start on them right away!)...

(Edit: ha, they're on Relativity? I ought to 'know' them both already!)
The last one is a waltz type thing I wrote about twenty five years ago and never play (probably for good reasons but throwing it out there anyway, inspired from listening to Dave Brubeck an Take Five).
I just love eclectic influences in music (so long as they're organic and not bolt-on, if you know what I mean), and think this works... though my ears just can't help being drawn past the flute to the guitar playing!
mcelvogue wrote:Gorgeous tune Pete, congratulations, definitely one I'd like to learn.
Gordon wrote:Yes, I meant to say, Peter - lovely playing, and a grand waltz. Had it in my head for hours - definitely one to learn.
Thanks so much, guys, and I'd be delighted/honoured if you do!

Only just 'learned' it myself on flute/whistle after writing it for accordion, hardly touching it for the best part of 20 years, then reading this thread, thinking 'why not?' and cobbling together both performances and recordings just like that. So what you're hearing is just some rough-and-ready takes of rough-and-ready performances, but it's feeling so right on the instruments that I reckon I'll be keeping it on the go as a flute/whistle tune now.

Have also (mindful of a previous discussion with Jem about giving things more time to make an impact) pasted the two versions together to give whistle followed by flute and, despite there being no new material to hear, think this longer version's both selling the tune better and somehow sounding like more than the sum of its parts performance-wise...

http://www.petestack.com/music/audio/sadie3.mp3

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Apologies if I'm back apparently pushing my own tune when I'd much rather just leave it here for folk to discover and try for themselves if they wish, but Google's just surprised me by turning up at least three other tunes called Sadie's Waltz as well as a 2008 short film of the same name. So now wondering if it's worth retrospectively 'renaming' mine (Sadie Cameron's Waltz?) for a distinct identity out there, although I'm sure you appreciate this is difficult for me when it's been Sadie's Waltz for 20 years and always will be to me and the lady for whom it was written...

For the record, the others I've found are this one (it's on YouTube too), this one and this one (named for one of Richard Rodney Bennett's cats!).

Master of nine?
mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

Peter Duggan wrote:Apologies if I'm back apparently pushing my own tune when I'd much rather just leave it here for folk to discover and try for themselves if they wish, but Google's just surprised me by turning up at least three other tunes called Sadie's Waltz as well as a 2008 short film of the same name. So now wondering if it's worth retrospectively 'renaming' mine (Sadie Cameron's Waltz?) for a distinct identity out there, although I'm sure you appreciate this is difficult for me when it's been Sadie's Waltz for 20 years and always will be to me and the lady for whom it was written...

For the record, the others I've found are this one (it's on YouTube too), this one and this one (named for one of Richard Rodney Bennett's cats!).

Hi Pete,
it depends how personally attached you are to the title. I think "Sadie Cameron's Waltz" is a great title and I like that it is a little more specific. It would also help if you are registering the tune for copyright if the title was unique (as I've found much to my frustration).

Tom