Geoffrey Ellis Low Whistle Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: Geoffrey Ellis Low Whistle Review

Post by Tommy »

cboody wrote:OK, the whistles will go out this afternoon (enjoy Tommy).
They arrived today in good shape. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Skyspirit, nice sound clips! Thanks to you and your teacher for sharing those.
cboody wrote:Both whistles seemed to me to take more air than they should. As a trumpet player I'm used to putting out lots of air, but I'm also used to some resistance. There doesn't seem to be much with these whistles and for me that makes difficulties. Long phrases were hard to complete. I played the same thing on these instruments (all low D) Copeland, MK, Ralph Sweet Onyx, a cheap Kerry whistle (I've forgotten the model) a Susato and the Ellis whistles. Only the Ellis caused the issue.
That's an interesting observation. The beauty of these tours is that we may each react differently to one characteristic of the same whistle. I've had experience with most of the other whistles mentioned and I found the Ellis whistles to be less demanding air-wise than some of those. In fact I found the Ellis whistles to be in the moderate area of the spectrum. But I do tend to like free blowing whistles. So I guess that's why we do these tours. Right?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Feadoggie wrote:Skyspirit, nice sound clips! Thanks to you and your teacher for sharing those.
cboody wrote:Both whistles seemed to me to take more air than they should. As a trumpet player I'm used to putting out lots of air, but I'm also used to some resistance. There doesn't seem to be much with these whistles and for me that makes difficulties. Long phrases were hard to complete. I played the same thing on these instruments (all low D) Copeland, MK, Ralph Sweet Onyx, a cheap Kerry whistle (I've forgotten the model) a Susato and the Ellis whistles. Only the Ellis caused the issue.
That's an interesting observation. The beauty of these tours is that we may each react differently to one characteristic of the same whistle. I've had experience with most of the other whistles mentioned and I found the Ellis whistles to be less demanding air-wise than some of those. In fact I found the Ellis whistles to be in the moderate area of the spectrum. But I do tend to like free blowing whistles. So I guess that's why we do these tours. Right?

Feadoggie
Exactly. And why I made the comment about differences of opinion. Maybe I played them at "the wrong times" maybe you played them "at the right time" or, any number of different things. I think these tours are truly useful, and hope the builders do to!
Last edited by cboody on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan >^..^<
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jan >^..^< »

I actually have a high D whistle from Geoffrey that was a prototype. I LOVE that thing! :love: I keep trying to get him to make more.

It was my first penny whistle. It won't be my last. I am in the process of ordering one (or two) from Mack Hoover.
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Jan >^..^< wrote:I am in the process of ordering one (or two) from Mack Hoover.
After seeing those photos I might have to get in line for the Ellis and the Hoover whistles. :thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ytliek wrote:After seeing those photos I might have to get in line for the Ellis and the Hoover whistles.
Welcome to Cayden-ville,,,,, :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Steve Bliven wrote:
ytliek wrote:After seeing those photos I might have to get in line for the Ellis and the Hoover whistles.

Best wishes.

Steve
Steve, I had Cayden beat long ago... he's been in my tracks since he joined C&F. It must be the nutmeg state or something. :)
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

ytliek wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:

Best wishes.

Steve
Steve, I had Cayden beat long ago... he's been in my tracks since he joined C&F. It must be the nutmeg state or something. :)

To all it may concern,

I do concede that in fact, I fall far short of the Grand Master of All WHOAD - Ytliek!!! Fact is, he expects a 21 whistle salute version of "Hail To The Chief" when he walks into a room. :D

I bow at the old Sailor's feet!

In complete WHOAD awe,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:To all it may concern,

I do concede that in fact, I fall far short of the Grand Master of All WHOAD - Ytliek!!! Fact is, he expects a 21 whistle salute version of "Hail To The Chief" when he walks into a room. :D

I bow at the old Sailor's feet!

In complete WHOAD awe,
Cayden
I just wish I could play them rather than just gaze upon there beauty. And, I do have a few more Whoads to go. :thumbsup:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jan >^..^< wrote:I actually have a high D whistle from Geoffrey that was a prototype. I LOVE that thing! :love: I keep trying to get him to make more.

It was my first penny whistle. It won't be my last. I am in the process of ordering one (or two) from Mack Hoover.
Wow! Nice place to start. It's all down hill from there I imagine.

Would you have a photo or a sound clip of your Geoffrey Ellis whistle you could share with us? It's not for me. I just enjoy the witnessing the reaction from Cayden and Ytliek.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Feadoggie wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:I actually have a high D whistle from Geoffrey that was a prototype. I LOVE that thing! :love: I keep trying to get him to make more.

Would you have a photo or a sound clip of your Geoffrey Ellis whistle you could share with us? It's not for me. I just enjoy the witnessing the reaction from Cayden and Ytliek.

Feadoggie
:D

I don't have a sound clip but here's a picture (not the best pic, however.)
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie wrote:

Feadoggie

It's only a whistle, just a whistle, only a whistle, just a whistle. . . :boggle:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

It's only a whistle, just a whistle, only a whistle, just a whistle. . . :boggle:

Cayden
:D Yep, it's only a whistle. A very nice whistle. That's mine! :P
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I'm drooling just at the thought of it... Ellis high D... hmmmm... if its anywhere near as good as the low whistle I'm in. :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

They both look excellent. :thumbsup: Both have very good pop/response capable of mach 1. :thumbsup: They are in tune with themselves. Playing the low D on pitch takes very little air and is quiet till reaching the upper octave top three notes. When blowing air to the full potential of the design it goes noticeable sharp. Laying along side other low D whistles it seems about a 1/2'' shorter.

Click on the pic for a short sound clip of the F first then the low D.

And now they are being mailed off to California.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086