How to behave at a session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

geek4music wrote: Funny you should mention that.
Well, it was a direct reference to your own post so is it funny?

Moxy,
A reasonable request from a reasonable person would usually be met reasonably. Just don't treat a session like a jukebox, as with the rest of behaviour, consider the atmosphere and behave accordingly.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Perhaps we have a cultural problem with communication. I'll assume that is true as opposed to another, much less flattering, explanation.

Let me explain the statement "Funny you should mention that." I used the word "funny" as "curious" or "interesting". As in "Interesting that since you attacked my post that you now concur with what I had said originally." Or to put it another way, "See! I told you so."
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

:roll:
Obviously you didn't spot the irony in my reply to james. Or maybe you did. in that case I just didn't see the point of piling on another 'told you so' as that exchange aside the last few pages of the thread do cover new ground, and in a positive way too i think.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, here's a question of my own to Peter or others with experience who share his "view". There are tunes with different "settings" as some call them, different ways of playing them, not so much as variations. For example, the famous Rambling Pitchfork with the "D" or the "CNat", second being some piper's favorite. I personally play the two of them, didnt like the second but now starting to like it.

Anyway, would you say that when someone starts a tune with a specific "setting", you should try to adapt and play that "setting" instead of the one you prefer? I personally think that the same tune can have totally different "feel" to it when played in a different "setting". In Pitchfork, the CNat changes everything, to my ears anyway. If someone starts the tune, I would personally try to play the "D" if the person who started plays the "D", or the "CNat" if the person who started it plays the CNat. Not doing so for me would be a lack of sensitivity to your surrounding and a lack of respect for the person who started the tune, because you don't seem to be listening to what the person is playing. If I happen to ear some weird difference in a well known tune that someone is playing, I might just drop my instrument and listen, knowing that what I'm playing isnt really compatible with the tune the person started, even if it's the same.

In a conversation, let's say we're talking about something sad, and the person who's talking sounds sad, if you reply all cheered up, that could be seen as lack of tact and concern about this person, as if you didnt care. (I'm not talking about trying to cheer up the person, which is something else).

I am just an extremist thinking like that?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

geek4music wrote:Now I'm really shocked. I thought Bloomfield would lay into me. I guess I'm not worth arguing with.
Sure you're worth arguing with. I am just not interested in speaking about message boards and postings and trolls and so forth at the moment.

What I am interested in is the music and the places where it thrives. I am glad I posted this thread. It has brought out some very good angles and views such as Moxy's. Since I have started playing seriously many of the musicians I play with have become close friends. I don't think it's the chat between tunes, and I don't think it's just the shared interest. In a very subtle way I know these friends more intimately because I play music with them. It's a very precious and personal thing, and it's elusive: Sitting down together and playing is (almost) always fun---but sometimes something very subtly falls into place and lifts the music and the togetherness to another level. If you think about other settings for intimacy, they are generally regarded as precious and they need a bit of protecting and tending. I think that's why Alan Ng's image of the familiar conversation appealed to me.
/Bloomfield
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Peter Laban wrote::roll:
Obviously you didn't spot the irony in my reply to james. Or maybe you did. in that case I just didn't see the point of piling on another 'told you so' as that exchange aside the last few pages of the thread do cover new ground, and in a positive way too i think.

Sorry. A little overzealous.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

moxy wrote:I have a serious question about session behaviour, for someone who is just listening in. In a traditional Irish session, can the listener make a request?
In my experience, yes.

Susan
glauber

Post by glauber »

susnfx wrote:
moxy wrote:I have a serious question about session behaviour, for someone who is just listening in. In a traditional Irish session, can the listener make a request?
In my experience, yes.

Susan
Back to Bloomfield's initial post that started the thread: think of the session as a group of friends having fun together. Are you part of the group? Are they your friends? If so, then you already know what to do. If not, then yes, you may be able to make a request, but be polite and don't spoil their fun. And don't make too many requests.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

And don't be surprised if they refuse to play Danny Boy.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Or if they agree, but insist on playing it on a slide whistle.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
glauber

Post by glauber »

Danny Boy is a wildcard. If you ask for it, people may refuse to play it, or may play it as a joke, or may even play it beautifully. You never know.

But you shouldn't ask for it. Or for Celine Dion's Titanic song either.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

glauber wrote:Danny Boy is a wildcard. If you ask for it, people may refuse to play it, or may play it as a joke, or may even play it beautifully. You never know.

OMG...CD's titanic song...it should be forbidden.. :boggle:
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

avanutria wrote:Or if they agree, but insist on playing it on a slide whistle.
Or in the absence of such a whistle, the whistler will hold that second-octave B for an eternity with maximum breath vibrato, and you will be asked for the bulk of the money it takes to replace the broken window.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

amar wrote:
glauber wrote:Danny Boy is a wildcard. If you ask for it, people may refuse to play it, or may play it as a joke, or may even play it beautifully. You never know.

OMG...CD's titanic song...it should be forbidden.. :boggle:
I agree...it gives me these strange fits where I just start cursing uncontrollably at the top of my lungs.

Like this guy, for example ---> :swear:
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Ah, requests. Funny how many of the people I play with just don't know 'Danny Boy' at all - "No, I can't say I know that one. Sorry!". :P

Actually, I was at a festival a couple of weekends ago, in a big session (15-ish people, but almost everyone knew everyone else, if that makes sense), and someone shouted "Do you play requests?" across the session to one of the box players. Not waiting for an actual request, he launched into a pretty nice rendition of Danny Boy - obviously he's had to deal with this before! He only made it through the first 2 or 3 bars when he was forced to stop - it was getting hard to hear the accordion over the laughter...

I'd agree with Peter and Bloomfield about the closeness that comes from playing with people regularly. There's one session that I try to go to every week when I'm around, and the tunes are great, but all the personalities involved also gel just right. It's wonderful when it happens.

Deirdre