Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

they all come back... :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brian Lee wrote: Um Peter, I'll let history speak for itself there. But since he's unwilling to be "quite a decent person" to the hand that feeds - meaning the people he's trying to sell to - and not just to the rare few who have a chance to meet him, it taints his persona to many of us.
History doesn't speak to me, i think I need you to explain it to me because you seem to have it down so well.

What I have seen is that several people have tried to order a whislte off him and they all received pretty much the same reply Dale got, order, pay and you'll receive. Where did things go wrong according to you? Spell it out please i seem to lack the insight.
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Brian Lee wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:....turns out to be nothing more than "hot air".

Bri~
That being your particular field of expertise. ;)
OOoooo, you're just so damn CUTE little Bloomie!
I know. 8)
/Bloomfield
amar

Post by amar »

DCrom wrote:
susnfx wrote:
emmline wrote:noooo Susan, I wanna be the shrew....!
Oh, shrew you.

And I believe in your case, Bloo, that would be the lewdness of apes.
Beshrew me!

But wouldn't that last be in Amar's case? :twisted:
hey, what is that supposed to mean??
Last edited by amar on Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Peter Laban wrote:
Brian Lee wrote: Um Peter, I'll let history speak for itself there. But since he's unwilling to be "quite a decent person" to the hand that feeds - meaning the people he's trying to sell to - and not just to the rare few who have a chance to meet him, it taints his persona to many of us.
History doesn't speak to me, i think I need you to explain it to me because you seem to have it down so well.

What I have seen is that several people have tried to order a whislte off him and they all received pretty much the same reply Dale got, order, pay and you'll receive. Where did things go wrong according to you? Spell it out please i seem to lack the insight.
Peter,

Please don't get too defensive here - you've been on the boards as long as I have and I'm sure you've seen Davy's rude posts in the past. Couple with that Talbert and all of his alter egos and it's a melting pot of disaster for this guys reputation. He may very well be a nice guy in person - after you get to know him for ten years or whatever it takes. But in the mean time, he's running a business and asking people to buy his stuff. All the while he has YET to post a SINGLE positive thread here to help clear the air concerning his very cloudy past and the whistles he played / made / whatever then. That's all folks have been trying to figure out.

I think if you look back in this thread as well, you'll see that even Dale expresses much of the same sentiment for exactly the same reasons. Hope that helps to shed some light on it for you. I'll leave the rest of this thread up to yous guys. Have fun with it. :)
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Brian Lee wrote:...I'm sure you've seen Davy's rude posts in the past.
I know DS has sent Dale emails that were less than cordial, but I wasn't aware that he'd ever posted on this board. Is this right or is my memory just failing me?

Susan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brian Lee wrote: Please don't get too defensive here - you've been on the boards as long as I have and I'm sure you've seen Davy's rude posts in the past. Couple with that Talbert and all of his alter egos and it's a melting pot of disaster for this guys reputation. )
I haven't seen any posts that's why i ask you to enlighten me. Talbert associates himself with Spillane, i don't know if that should reflect on Spillane's business so that doesn't come into this. Why so is there so much malice in your posts, still haven't heard any reasonable explanation. It's all inuendo and hearsay and 'you know it isn't right don't you'. But i don't know but you do and i want you to tell me what's up. Could it be you're just being a bully and need someone to pick on?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

OK Peter, let me see if I can clarify further for you and have it make a bit more sense ok?

This isn't new.

This has been going on back and forth with Davy and more recently with Talbert for years. % that I can remember myself but it goes back further than that.

Talbert is basically Davy's spokesperson, or again, has been recently, as he has been the one to "pass on messages and feelings" from Davy. So he very much DOES come into the equation.

I frankly don't give a fuzzy rat's butt what Davy's like in person as I never expect to meet him or call him on the phone. But he's asking me to buy one of his whistles for what the market says is an enormous amount of money, just based on the fact that he made it. Sort of made it anyway. Well, it has his name on it.

Bully? Please. I, like many here just don't care to be jerked around by a maker of anything and then expected to buy their stuff just because they may or may not be a "nice guy."

*sigh*
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Peter Laban wrote:
Brian Lee wrote: But he's asking me to buy one of his whistles for what the market says is an enormous amount of money, just based on the fact that he made it.
Is that any differrent from what Burke Copeland O'Riordan and the others are doing? they ask me to pay a ridiculous amount of money for whistles and based on what? is that your problem? A bit thin as a reason to foulmouth someone at any opportunity isn't it? You're not being jerked about, someone offers a whislte for sale and if you're not interested you don't give it a second thought, I don't give 99 percent of the whsitles discussed on this board a second thought. i don't think their makers are jerking me about although I do think a lot of them aren't exactly undercharging themselves.
But Peter, you're not looking at all the facts. Let me help you:

1. Brian Lee reads on the chiffboard that Dale Wisely has received an unpleasant email from Davy Spillane.

2. Brian Lee reads on the chiffboard the Dale Wisely has never seen a Davy Spillane whistle or heard of anyone who claims to play one.

3. Brian Lee hears that Davy Spillane charges 200 Euro for his new whistle, which Brian Lee has never seen, heard or played.

Well if that isn't a constant back and forth between Brian Lee and Davy Spillane, and if that isn't being "jerked around," I don't know what is!
Brian Lee wrote:... I'm just tired of being jerked around on the Spillane choke chain year after year. Lots of us are. And it's literally impossible for us to get excited over what sounds like being a horribly average if not even sub-par new low whistle.
Sure it's pure self-defense to call Davy Spillane "our Davy boy" and offering reflections on Davy Spillane's ego. :roll:
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brian Lee wrote: But he's asking me to buy one of his whistles for what the market says is an enormous amount of money, just based on the fact that he made it. Sort of made it anyway. Well, it has his name on it.

Bully? Please. I, like many here just don't care to be jerked around by a maker of anything and then expected to buy their stuff just because they may or may not be a "nice guy."

*sigh*
Is that any differrent from what Burke Copeland O'Riordan and the others are doing? they ask me to pay a ridiculous amount of money for whistles and based on what? is that your problem? A bit thin as a reason to foulmouth someone at any opportunity isn't it? You're not being jerked about, someone offers a whistle for sale and if you're not interested you don't give it a second thought, or so would you if you had any sense. But you don't every time Davy Spillane gets a mention you're on top of it. And not in a good humoured slagging sort of way. You still haven't made sufficiently clear why.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

amar wrote:
DCrom wrote:
susnfx wrote: Oh, shrew you.

And I believe in your case, Bloo, that would be the lewdness of apes.
Beshrew me!

But wouldn't that last be in Amar's case? :twisted:
hey, what is that supposed to mean??
You do "innocent" so well. :lol:

But we know you around here. Let's just say that, if you were an ape, you'd have to be a Bonobo. :twisted:
amar

Post by amar »

i wish.

:lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Is "beshrewn" the adjective form? Or do we simply use the Tudorian past tense, "beshrew'd"?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:....turns out to be nothing more than "hot air".

Bri~
That being your particular field of expertise. ;)
(gags Bloomfield)

I prefer beshrew'd btw.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Brian: I normally do not post to these mega-threads. However, I said something in an e-mail to a band-mate this morning, that struck me as timely. I think you referred to Pat O'Riordan's low D as 'um...average'. I will admit, that in playing my rather recent model, it did not light my fire, at first. I have been practicing it a lot, lately, and using it in concert. I made the following comment to my band-mate:

'It is interesting.  As I play my O'Riordan low D more and more, I am
beginning to appreciate how expressive this whistle is.  While my Burke Viper is solid, has a booming low end, and an unbelievable EVEN sound throughout the two+ octaves, the O'Riordan acts more like the human voice.  As I play it, learning Crested Hens, I have found that its ability to twist and turn, turn on and off a 'growl' at will, and its simple ability to emote, are really amazing.  I hope the new Overton can come even close. The O'Riordan is an instrument that really grows as the player grows...I am impressed.'

No challenge here, Brian...I simply find the timing of my e-mail to be interesting...To each his own...

For all: One other issue, for what it is worth. I received an e-mail message from Davy Spillane, last year. The e-mail was well spoken, respectful, and friendly...

Cheers to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979