Famous encounters

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Pammy
antispam: No

Re: Famous encounters

Post by Pammy »

emmline wrote:Ok. Dredge it up.
Then I found the ladies' room and used an even more remote aspect of my peripheral vision on the way back.
Well you just have to don't you? :lol:
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

When I was up Coombe Hill for the Solstice, I ran into Phil Hardy... ...He admired my overtone flute...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Innocent Bystander wrote:When I was up Coombe Hill for the Solstice, I ran into Phil Hardy... ...He admired my overtone flute...
amar

Post by amar »

I spent the last weekend with Colin and Brigitte Goldie and with Ross Ainslie.

:tomato:
dwest

Post by dwest »

I just spent two weeks with family in Wisconsin, they and the neighbors will be talking about it for weeks. Probably help get them some free drinks in the local pubs. Always nice to do what ya can for family and friends. Police never even knew I was in town.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

s1m0n wrote:
cowtime wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: It's less obscure if you know that the singular of the word "Kine" (Cows) is "Kye" (Cow).
Not just Derry, either. It's right across the 55th parallel. (In those Islands off Europe.)
Not just there either. I've heard "kye" for cow back in these mountains too.
That N terminal is an old english way of showing plural; that's the source of words like chicken, children, & oxen, although some have lost the plural sense. Kine and treen (carved wooden utensils) are known but rarer. E'en (eyes) is one that only shows up these days in ballads to annoy folksingers. It usually carries the rhyme, but most audiences won't get it, and there's no good word to substitute.
I thought e'en was a mangled contraction for evening... maybe it's both.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

My understanding is that "e'en" was a contraction for "even" (not only the adverb; the word also does double duty as an archaic for "evening"), and "een" (no apostrophe) was "eyes". Practically the same sound (although I personally would utter a highly elided "EE-in" for e'en, and and a more flat "een" for, well, een), so you have to go by context especially when you're not reading it. After all, "yestere'en" wouldn't mean "yestereyes".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:My understanding is that "e'en" was a contraction for "even" (not only the adverb; the word also does double duty as an archaic for "evening"), and "een" (no apostrophe) was "eyes". Practically the same sound (although I personally would utter a highly elided "EE-in" for e'en, and and a more flat "een" for, well, een), so you have to go by context especially when you're not reading it. After all, "yestere'en" wouldn't mean "yestereyes".
Both. When the N-plural was everyday english, neither standardised spellings nor apostrophes as sign of contraction* were a part of the language.

*Actually, apostrophes in general.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Years ago, my husband was married to someone else (she is a witch!).They went on holiday to Rome and were walking around the Vatican when they saw a little bit of a comotion. They went to have a look and it was the Pope. They were really up close, so the Pope blessed them and within that year she had an affair and they split up.
It was a blessing for my husband and me anyway!!
Last edited by Pammy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good!!!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Pammy wrote: (she is a witch!)

:really:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

An evil witch!!!!!!!!

Screwed her two childrens heads up to get at hubby

evil witch

P.S. should I have taken that personally? :)
Last edited by Pammy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar

Post by amar »

Pammy wrote:An evil witch!!!!!!!!

Screwed her two childrens heads up to get at hubby

evil witch
w=b, right? :D
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

What does w=b mean :-?
Life is good!!!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Pammy wrote:What does w=b mean :-?
witch equals female dog
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:My understanding is that "e'en" was a contraction for "even" (not only the adverb; the word also does double duty as an archaic for "evening"), and "een" (no apostrophe) was "eyes". Practically the same sound (although I personally would utter a highly elided "EE-in" for e'en, and and a more flat "een" for, well, een), so you have to go by context especially when you're not reading it. After all, "yestere'en" wouldn't mean "yestereyes".
Both. When the N-plural was everyday english, neither standardised spellings nor apostrophes as sign of contraction* were a part of the language.

*Actually, apostrophes in general.
Looks like I'm coming from Rabbie Burns' spelling (imagine that). I notice that Lancashire and Yorkshire dialect spelling uses "e'en" for "eyes".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician