Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

cocusflute wrote:Re: The Monaghan Jig

I'd have preferred less guitar and more flute. But that's just my taste.
Rob.

Lovely playing and piece in general. I also agree with Cocusflute about the guitar. I am wondering if you might post the tune again as a solo flute piece? If you do, please include the intro part- I really enjoyed that!

Arbo
Rocking the Cradle
http://www.box.net/shared/lphhg3hs8s
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Maybe I could re-record it here....it's a studio recording, so I don't have access to the individual tracks. I'll give it a lash at some stage. Cheers,

Rob

p.s. Regarding the intro: this is, if memory serves, take five of the whole set. Every intro was different, and to be honest I don't recall if this was the best one. I try to keep it fresh, so a redo may have a different diddle at the start.

We did so many takes beause the ensemble feel was lacking in the first few - no wonder, since we were in three separate rooms. We could see each other, and we could hear each other exquisitely; it simply took a few tries to get past the artificial situation. All things considered, it came together very well. What a way to make music!
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Arbo, you've posted your "Rocking the Cradle" clip a few times and it's a beautiful air! Thanks for sharing. I learned it about a year ago from a recording by the group Cé but it's somewhat different. That's the only recording of it I've heard before yours. So I thought I'd post my recording of Cé's version. They call it "The Old Man Rocking the Cradle."

The Old Man Rocking the Cradle

I'm trying a new mic and I think it's much better. It's the mic that came with the game Rock Band. :) Thanks to the chiffer who suggested that! I still don't know how to do much editing but I added a little reverb. Also, my embouchure isn't so great so you can hear lots of air. :) I can't seem to make that any better. Suggestions?
Last edited by matahari_1946 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tiff
connie

Post by connie »

I have a few tunes up now at the link in my signature. I'd be interested to know if anyone would attribute any regional style or any other influence to the way I play. Most of my tunes I have learned from CDs of well known players (Molloy, Crawford, Conal O'Grada etc.). I never had a flute teacher and the sessions I play there are never other flute players. So I listen alot to the box, fiddle and banjo players I meet iat sessions.

My only opinion on flute playing really is I like it to fit in with whatever other musicians you are playing with and sometimes you have to adjust your playing slightly to session (e.g sometime softer, smoother other times louder and more rhythmic.

cheers,
Pat.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Tiff,

funny, but I just got the Ce cd yesterday and heard Old Man Rocking the Cradle (Ce version ) for the first time. I tried to pull it together from memory. I believe I learned it off of a Catherine McEnvoy cassette (long misplaced). Perhaps that's part of the tradition? I am pretty sure I didn't 'make it up!' Anyway, I am glad you liked my version. I'm off to give your version another couple of listens. I'll get back to you.

Arbo
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

matahari_1946 wrote: The Old Man Rocking the Cradle
Also, my embouchure isn't so great so you can hear lots of air. :) I can't seem to make that any better. Suggestions?
really enjoyed that, magical in a way. i think the wispy tone works nicely there, adds to the slow easy quiet feel. makes me wish i were rocking in a cradle...zzzzzz...
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

connie wrote:I have a few tunes up now at the link in my signature. I'd be interested to know if anyone would attribute any regional style or any other influence to the way I play. Most of my tunes I have learned from CDs of well known players (Molloy, Crawford, Conal O'Grada etc.). I never had a flute teacher and the sessions I play there are never other flute players. So I listen alot to the box, fiddle and banjo players I meet iat sessions.

My only opinion on flute playing really is I like it to fit in with whatever other musicians you are playing with and sometimes you have to adjust your playing slightly to session (e.g sometime softer, smoother other times louder and more rhythmic.

cheers,
Pat.
sounds like a style from a pleasant easy going region !
Last edited by rama on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

rama wrote:
matahari_1946 wrote: The Old Man Rocking the Cradle
Also, my embouchure isn't so great so you can hear lots of air. :) I can't seem to make that any better. Suggestions?
really enjoyed that, magical in a way. i think the wispy tone works nicely there, adds to the slow easy quiet feel. makes me wish i were rocking in a cradle...zzzzzz...
Thanks, Rama. :)

This air really does make me think of a rocking cradle. The recording I learned it from consists of a fiddle and a whistle. I think, but am not sure, the fiddle has been tuned down to Bb and the whistler plays a Bb whistle. They are in tune with each other but are somewhat flat when compared to a tuner. I had to pull the head on my Bb whistle out quite a bit to play along with the recording.
ImNotIrish wrote:Tiff,

funny, but I just got the Ce cd yesterday and heard Old Man Rocking the Cradle (Ce version ) for the first time. I tried to pull it together from memory. I believe I learned it off of a Catherine McEnvoy cassette (long misplaced). Perhaps that's part of the tradition? I am pretty sure I didn't 'make it up!' Anyway, I am glad you liked my version. I'm off to give your version another couple of listens. I'll get back to you.

Arbo
Arbo, I didn't think you made it up, I just hadn't heard another recording of it other than Cé. :) I'll have to look for the Catherine McEvoy recording. Does anyone know of any other recordings of this air?
~Tiff
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Tiff,
the air is on Catherine McEvoy's traditional flute music of Sligo and Roscommon/ It is called Rocking the Cradle on that recording. I am in the process of ordering the cd.

In the meantime, here is another take of the Gwerz (as I call it- from Kornog).
http://www.box.net/shared/u0agy25koo

edit: actual name of the tune is gwerzar march a dourig bihan and I believe it is on one the first Kornog cds, possibly a 'live' one?
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Padraig O'Keefe would probably be the definitive version.

There's a track on his "Changing Lanes" recording, and another on the "Kerry Fiddles" recording.

Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh did a track on his first solo CD (which you can buy online, check his myspace)

Leo Rowsome recorded it as well.

Then there are the actual sung versions which would be good to listen to! Joe Heaney and Paddy Tunney are two I have. Sounds like the version you got might have come from one of these two. The Kerry version is quite different (and my personal favourite).
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

ImNotIrish wrote:Tiff,
the air is on Catherine McEvoy's traditional flute music of Sligo and Roscommon/ It is called Rocking the Cradle on that recording. I am in the process of ordering the cd.

In the meantime, here is another take of the Gwerz (as I call it- from Kornog).
http://www.box.net/shared/u0agy25koo
Thanks for the info, Arbo. You know, I really like Kornog but for some reason I don't have anything by them. Just a track or two from compilation albums. Gotta look into finding some CD's.
NicoMoreno wrote:Padraig O'Keefe would probably be the definitive version.

There's a track on his "Changing Lanes" recording, and another on the "Kerry Fiddles" recording.

Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh did a track on his first solo CD (which you can buy online, check his myspace)

Leo Rowsome recorded it as well.

Then there are the actual sung versions which would be good to listen to! Joe Heaney and Paddy Tunney are two I have. Sounds like the version you got might have come from one of these two. The Kerry version is quite different (and my personal favourite).
Thanks, Nico! I'll look for those. Sung versions . . . . I didn't know there were words to go along with it.
~Tiff
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I posted these on another thread in response to a technical query about use of the C natural key in ornaments - so they are really aimed at demonstrating that rather than an artistic interpretation, but I thought I may as well stick them here as well as that thread seems to have died (perhaps these are deadly?)

Humours of Whiskey Video Clips:
1. - end on view
2. - front on view

Also! Matahari_1946/Tiff, a couple of weeks back you posted a clip of a Galician tune and at my request zapped me over the dots. You may have been wondering that nothing more came of it..... well, my time has been somewhat constricted, but I've been mulling it over and tootling through it now and then, and today I've found time to have a go at recording it. Pace another thread, I needed about 25 takes/false starts to get even this one done, and I'm not entirely content with it..... but at least all those failures let me work on more interpretative ideas. I make no claims whatever to Galician authenticity (I can't play Gaita Gallega anyway!), but this is my take on it for now. I tried to take it at quite a steady pace, but it was really hard not to speed up! I hope it is helpful ideas-wise, as you originally asked. All feedback welcome.

Muiñeira de Pontesampaio
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Jem,

nice playing on that Galician tune! Love the upper octave of that R&R. I noticed you played it somewhat faster than Tiff ( I went back and listened to the original clip). I'm wondering if you would zap me over the dots. I believe this tune would go great with another tune I posted a long while back which I believe is also Galician (I think I just called it the Spanish Tune). Thanks to both of you for posting.

Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Pat,

just listened to your three clips.Of the three I thought the Josie McDermot tune was the most solid. The phrasing on the second part of the Torn Jacket seemed as if you were unsure, or hesitant for some reason. The Mtn. Top, I had a hard time distinguishing the phrases, and tune in general, though I will surely give it another listen. Great selection of tunes. I downloaded Josie's and will try to pick it up this week. Keep posting.
Arbo
connie

Post by connie »

Thx Arbo. Like someone mentioned in a recently started thread about making mistakes when making recordings, I suffer from this too and make mistakes. I'll be interested to see if I improve as I get more use to recording stuff. Its a worthwhile exercise anyway both to listen to yourself and get opinions of others.