Sore throat after practising the low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nathnainiel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: While generally more of a violist/violinist, I occasionally play the tin whistle and the low whistle.

Sore throat after practising the low whistle

Post by Nathnainiel »

Hello everyone,

I've been playing the tin whistle and the low whistle a little since a few years back, though practising very little. When I recently started playing some more I noticed I get a sore or like dried out throat after like 10 minutes of playing the low whistle. Is this something that goes away with exercise or do you have any tips for altering my technique to relax my throat better?

Cheers!

Erik
ScottMaurer

Re: Sore throat after practising the low whistle

Post by ScottMaurer »

You're not supposed to stick it that far into your mouth. :P

In all seriousness, make sure you have good posture and blow using your diaphragm.
Vulpyne

Post by Vulpyne »

I haven't had that problem personally but I don't think you're the first person I've heard mention it.

Not sure what the cause is. Perhaps you aren't swallowing very frequently when you play? Try taking a sip of water every couple minutes. You could also try taking a little break every 5 minutes or so.
trekkie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by trekkie »

I had the same problem with a MK Low D I used to own when I was taking a medication which caused acid reflux. I sold the whistle and changed the medication and the problem went away. Have no idea if either caused the problem but now play a different Low D several times a week without a problem.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In our pipe band we have a 20-something guy who was getting throat pain when playing the pipes. It got so severe he couldn't play any more. Sneezing was the worst, he said.

He's in the medical profession himself and got 2nd and 3rd opinions when doctors couldn't diagnose it and/or didn't run the right tests.

He finally got a doctor to scope his throat and it's just inflammation which should go away with rest. He's switched to bellows pipes for the time being, until his throat recovers.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Just a couple of quick thoughts-are you in a dry climate, or is it possible you are having post nasal drip (sinus or allergy problems)? The sinus problem could easily give you a sore throat.

I doubt it is the whistle that is causing your issue with the low whistle. Let us know how it turns out for you.
~~~~
Barry
Angel Shadowsong

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi,

Clean your whistles regularly. It could be caused by Staph bacteria.

Having a dry throat also is a cause of "wind scratch" which may be infected by bacteria after.

Lubricate your throat regularly by drinking water. Ginger or Turmeric Tea helps also as they have anti-bac properties.

During my first low whistle journey, my experience was developing a cough reflex rather than a sore throat.

Study your breathing patterns and see which part of your body has the resistance when your blowing.

The normal thing is the abdominal pressure and back pressure.

Regards,

Angel Shadowsong
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It certainly happened to me when I started playing low whistle, and still does occasionally when playing flute. I know exactly what causes it in my case, but everyone's case is probably different. With me, because I couldn't et he notes to sound perfectly when I started paying lo whistle, especially the low notes, I would subconsciously vocalise - almost humming the note. I didn't mean to, but it was a very difficult habit to get out of. That used to lead to a sore, dry throat after a bit of playing time.

I haven't had to do anything about this - it's just gone away over time and as my playing has improved.