Who makes a great Low F whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeeky Elf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Who makes a great Low F whistle?

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Who makes a great Low F whistle? I would prefer one where the top two or three notes on the second octave don’t require a big push and increase in volume. I have an MK Kelpie low D, and though it’s a nice whistle it does seem to have that problem, so I am a little weary of trying his F. Of course I would like a strong Bell note too, and yes, I do realize those two things are always a compromise. I am curious about Bracker and Alba whistles, and am about to start rereading reviews here, but I don’t believe that accurate reviews of one key will always apply to another.

I have a couple of low G whistles, a tweaked Generation and a Dixon (trad model, or at least it looks like the trad), and I am not a huge fan of either. They both seem a little thin and wispy, both in tone and feel. I think I would prefer a thicker tube, and that would solve at least one of the problems, if not both.

I recall a C+F tour of a couple of whistles, I believe one of them was in F, made by a guy who mainly made NAF flutes, but I can’t locate the thread now. A wood whistle would be a strong contender, but I’m not necessarily looking to spend a lot of money (or endure a long wait) at this time.

On the other end of the cost spectrum I know that Dixon used to make an F flute/whistle duo set, but I’ve been unable to find any info about them online, and I know that the older duos were are considered inferior to the newer models, but I don’t know where the Fs fit into that time line. Speaking of flutes, I would also consider an F flute, to scratch the F/Gmin itch, but perhaps that’s another thread for another board. Fidgin Fain seems almost too good to be true, and the reviews are thin on the ground at the moment. I don’t need the Holy Grail, but I’ve been disappointed by ‘bargain’ instruments too many times to be a guinea pig.

Also, does it seem like makers shy away from the key of F? Perhaps it’s just not a very popular key.

Edit - It appears that Alba whistle might require a little more push than I am looking for.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
calanthrophy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Who makes a great Low F whistle?

Post by calanthrophy »

I'm partial to Burkes so of course I'm going to recommend those, but I feel it's worth mentioning that my Burke low F is my favorite of the lot. It's a little chiffier than the rest (whether they're all like that or mine's just got "personality" I can't say for sure) and plays extremely easily. If my fingers weren't so stumpy I think I could play it without piper's grip.
Burkes are known for needing a larger volume of air but as far as the "push" is concerned I don't have any problem with it. They also have the strong bell note that you mentioned.
Your mileage will vary as with all whistles.
As to why there aren't many low Fs out there, my guess would be because it doesn't appear to be a particularly common key in trad music. It seems that after D and C there's a pretty sharp dropoff in whistle commonality.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Squeeky Elf wrote:I am curious about Bracker and Alba whistles, and am about to start rereading reviews here, but I don’t believe that accurate reviews of one key will always apply to another.
From experience (because they're what I play by choice and more than any others), Hans Bracker's whistles are very consistent from key to key and really do sit on a continuum where each new size smaller or larger is close to the previous one. So of course you'll notice differences as well as similarities if you pick up two an octave apart, but huge amounts in common for adjacent sizes (though the standard low D/Eb heads take noticeably more air than the more economical E/F and smaller). But then again, I'd expect most good makers to achieve some kind of similar continuum across their range. What's also useful with Hans is the opportunity to go down a bore size in most keys, although the standard (20mm bore) low F is just great and he doesn't seem to be listing an 18mm alternative lower than F#.
Also, does it seem like makers shy away from the key of F? Perhaps it’s just not a very popular key.
Not my perception at all... if you look at videos of professional performances etc., it's probably the most popular low whistle after D, hence possibly explaining those makers who've offered just D and F like (up till now) MK.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
JoFo

Post by JoFo »

I think Alba would be a good choice. I have an excellent A and just received a G in the mail today.
They are easy to play and yet quite powerful. Much more so than Freeman Generation G and A and also the Dixon trad G.

As for actual F whistles, the only ones I have are a Dixon poly F and an old Overton. These are both good whistles. I play the Overton quite a lot.
If you want something similar to the Overton, then a Goldie or a Chieftain would probably get you close.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Reviol, Copeland, Carbony, and Lofgren would get my vote.

Burkes are really very nice as well, but I prefer the above more. Burkes play nicely, are well in tune, and have a nice honkin' bottom end like no other, but tone-wise I think they fall below my other preferences. Still always happy to play them, though. If you like something that plays a bit harder and is a bit more "intense" , then I'm sure something like an MK or a harder blowing Goldie would suit you well, but those aren't my cup of tea really.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Much food for thought here, thanks everyone.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

I have the Chieftain tunable and Dixon low F whistles, both sound lovely, but the Chieftain sounds the best IMO.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I know this is not the type you want but I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying my recent acquisition of a Goldfinch low F. I had originally ordered a low D from Jakub at Goldfinch but had been disappointed not because it wasn't a quality instrument but because I like a whistle with really strong dynamics as in my MK and Jon Swayne instruments. So I ended up returning the D and replacing it with an F from Jakub. The Goldfinch F has the same bore diameter as the D so being an F this meant it was more wide-bore by comparison and with stronger dynamics than the D. This gives it a massive bell note and great dynamics through the octaves even though higher second octave notes do need a deal more pushing. I guess it depends on your preference for sweetness or fire. As you can guess I like a bit of fire and the Goldfinch F meets all my requirements.
JohnRedhead

Post by JohnRedhead »

My hobby is making Irish whistles (when I get the time) ....I have a low F ...nicest sounding whistle I've made, I think, and totally playable without needing the pipers grip.

Don't know if that's any help ?

John (from http://www.redheadwhistles.com)
Parfers

Post by Parfers »

Hi S-E

May be not to everyone's taste but you might consider a Shaw. They take a lot of air but there is a simple tweak ( note about this on the forum) to get around this. They also have a strong bell note and play well in tune in the second octave and at a reasonable cost.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I play a Burke F, which has all the pros and cons of other Burkes: big bore, huge bellnote, strong low octave, smooth voicing, great tuning, slightly stiff 2nd octave, slightly loud/harsh "one finger note" in the 2nd octave (fingered B, sounding note D) and greater-than-average air consumption.

I'm a recent Lofgren convert, due to acquiring a great-playing Low D secondhand. As opposed to a Burke Low D the Lofgren has an equally powerful bellnote yet considerably easier/sweeter high notes, more interesting tone, and considerably less air consumption. Thing about Lofgren is that I attempted to contact him several months ago and never got a response. So you may have to go the secondhand route, like I did.

I've not played a Colin Goldie F but I would expect it to be excellent.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Thanks everyone. I've decided to give Shearwater a shot. Time will tell if that's a good decision or not. I've also put in an order for a Killarney D while I'm at it.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I'm very happy with the Shearwater. The Killarney is going to take some getting used to. Appearantly 'sweet second octave' means different things to different people.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Squeeky Elf wrote:I'm very happy with the Shearwater. The Killarney is going to take some getting used to. Appearantly 'sweet second octave' means different things to different people.

If the Killarney doesn't have a sweet second octave, then what does, in your opinion? Killarneys, Sindts, and Potter whistles all have a very sweet, non-piercing, pure, second octave that is gentle in the highest notes, which is what I imagine fits most people's description of "sweet". What does the term mean to you? A non-sweet second octave, in my book, would be something like a Susato, hard blowing goldie, or MK, which have a lot of intensity and increasing volume as you reach the top of the scale.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in how people interpret the word "sweet", of if Killarneys simply vary quite a lot.. or possibly people are blowing them wrong, I'm not sure. I have two, and both are what I'd deem to be sweet.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sirchronique wrote:I'm wondering if there is a difference in how people interpret the word "sweet", of if Killarneys simply vary quite a lot.. or possibly people are blowing them wrong, I'm not sure. I have two, and both are what I'd deem to be sweet.
I have three Killarneys - a nickel body D, a nickel body Eb and a brass body D. All three have a very sweet second octave, which is very easy to blow. The only way to make my Killarneys not sweet would be to blow them too hard.