Glen Road Concert

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kardshark87
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kardshark87 »

Hey everybody,
Last night I went to a concert that Glen Road put on. I live in a town of about 30,000 so when an Irish band comes along (this was the first time that I am aware of) you jump at the oppurtunity. Their performance was to honor 4 people in our community.
Glen Road is made up of three people. Turlach Boylan on flute,whistle, and pennywhistle. Mike Dugger on mandola (which was tuned to be like an octave mandolin, or a bouzouki), guitar, and vocals. Sheila Macguire was on fiddle.
During intermission I bought both of Turlach's CD's but I can't say whether or not they are good because I haven't had time to listen to them! I came home, studied for a test, and went to bed. Anyways, I started talking to Turlach during intermission and guess what?! He invited me to talk/play with him after the concert. I was doing back flips...or should i say trying? I got many weird looks for that and several pains. So, after the concert, I was talking to somebody (I don't remember who) and Turlach came and got me! So we sat down and played and talked and I didn't want to leave. Man, Turlach is a great guy
Ok, back to the concert. Mike Dugger is an excellent guitarist/mandolist. Also, all of the songs he sang were great, whether they were sad songs or "happy" songs. Sheila Macguire was tearing up the fiddle. I sat there thinking.."You know....I really suck at the fiddle, especially compared to her!" Turlach mainly played flute, and played it well. Every few songs he would play tenor banjo or whistle. Again, when he playing whistle I felt a wave of jealousy. Oh well...I'll just have to practice more! and more...and some more...
Ok, so what I'm trying to get at is..If you ever see that Glen Road is in your area go see them! This is a great group and I'm so glad that I went to see them. Well, bye!

Brent

P.S. Turloch, are you out there? I want to email you about some of those music camps you mention. And of course..whistling!
skendal

Post by skendal »

That sounds like a really nice concert. I have Boylan's first CD and I think it's great. I'm a bit familiar with Mike Dugger's playing but mainly on fiddle. He's terrific too and appears to be very versatile. He plays (or played) fiddle with a band called Sunrush.

Steve
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

Skendal,
Which CD is his first CD? "The Tidy Cottage" or "Shame the Devil"? Also, they had a Sunrush CD there but I didn't buy it. Probably because I had never heard them...I also thought it kind of weird that they didn't have any CD's of the actual band! Oh well...

Brent
skendal

Post by skendal »

The Tidy Cottage is Boylan's first CD. That's the one I have. I haven't heard the other one. The band that you saw might have been too new to have a CD. They might also have just been a temporary pickup band playing a few gigs but don't have any plans to stay together.

Steve
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Hey Brent ~ thanks for the review. Now I won't have to bug you about it on IM. Hmmm..wondering which direction Glen Road was headed. Sure would love to hear them. Gm
PS. Have you tried Dark Island on the fiddle? A friend from England said that's what he's working on.......apparently every fiddler in Scotland plays. I do it on the whistle and tried it on the fiddle this morning. Quite awesome if thatg's the right word. Gm
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

Grannymouse (i won't tell your true name),
All I know is that Glen Road was headed for another Oklahoma town. Miama if I'm not mistaken. I don't know where they're going after that....My dad signed up for their mailing list and they probably have a website so I'll give it to you, or anyone that's interested. Also, I can't say that I have heard of Dark Island. I'll have to go get the music for it...Thanks for the suggestion! Bye!

Brent