Two treasures from StevieJ

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
carrie

Two treasures from StevieJ

Post by carrie »

A few months ago, when I was looking for Scots-Irish music, I got the book A Dossan of Heather: Irish traditional music from Packie Manus Byrne of Donegal, compiled and edited by Jean Duval and C&F’s own Stephen Jones (StevieJ). I came to love the book so much that I asked Steve if I could write about it on the board. At about the same time, I also got a copy of the CD Phenigma, named for both a tune on the CD and the band that Steve, Jean Duval, and others played in from 1990-1996. It’s a tasty and wonderful CD and includes some tunes that were later included in A Dossan of Heather, so I decided to write about both of them together. Both are treasures.

A Dossan of Heather

Here on the board and in some fine reviews, much has already been written about A Dossan of Heather. (Dossan means a large sprig or tuft of heather or hair.)
This review will give you a very good understanding of the book: the 85 fresh and in some ways stark tunes it contains, most of them known only within a small circle of Donegal musicians; the wealth of information in theintroduction about Packie’s life, the sources of the music, the stories and personalities behind the tunes, the method of compiling the collection, a truly fascinating analysis of the characteristics of the tunes (which I might add in just one page gave me more insight into Irish traditional music than I can ever remember learning in one place), and a charmingly personal and detailed treatment of Packie’s whistling style, with wonderful quotes. Here’s Packie on the characteristic triplets:

...I had very nimble fingers at one time. But then I discovered that to make any job of a reel like that [The Skylark], I had to put in the little trebly things, and I done it with me tongue…..I do it with the tongue against the top of my mouth, but I cannot do it so well since I got the false teeth. When I had my own teeth I had much more room for the tongue to hop about! Y-till-diddly, i-till-diddly…You could keep that diddly-diddly thing going all the time.

I think a lot of people here on the board would also be most interested in what Packie has to say about rolls. ;)

The tunes, and the stories that accompany them, are the heart of this book. Click herefor a sample jig, highland, reel, and air. Here you’ll get a sense of the distinctive character of the tunes, the story that’s presented with each, the charming drawings accompanying many of the tunes, and, from the mp3 clips, the satisfying arrangements of the 33 selected tunes on the companion CD, performed by Jean Duval (whistle, flute, harmonica), Steve (whistle, fiddle, bodhran, vocals), Johanne St-Laurent (harp), Lynda Dowker (keyboards), and Reinhard Görner (guitar).

But, as I said, all of this has been written about very well before. So I’d just like to add a personal reaction, one that crystallized for me in this picture, from the introduction of the book. The caption says: Jean Duval transcribing from Packie Manus’ playing, Ardara, February 1997. During an evening out, the tune Barefoot Biddy had resurfaced in Packie’s memory. Arriving home at 1 a.m., Jean and Packie set to work immediately, Packie not waiting to take off his cap!

As I looked carefully at that scene--at Duval, listening so intently to what Packie is playing, at Packie himself, so eager to have the tune transcribed that he doesn’t wait to take off his jacket and cap--I realized that this book made me think a lot about important things: about why we need old people and how we, all of us, get old so fast; about what, for better or worse, we leave behind us when we move on; about why in a culture that tugs so many toward material pursuits these collaborators gave so much of their time and life energy to a project like this, and with such loving respect; about what this music has meant and still means to the Donegal drovers and to cityfolk like me as well; and about what the attentions of Steve and Jean Duval must mean to Packie himself in these late years of his life. I was moved by this collection of musical memories and recollections of a life well lived, and I heartily recommend it. I got my copy from The Whistle Shop, and it came (in three days, I might add) with a complimentary copy of another little gem, My Friend Flanagan: tall tales told by Packie Manus Byrne. It’s also available from Mel Bay.

Phenigma

Steve and Jean Duval, along with Dowker-Kathan on keyboards and vocal harmonies, Görner on guitar and bass, and vocalist Sine McKenna, bring the same warmth and spirit to this CD that they brought to A Dossan of Heather. And, as I said, they bring Packie to it as well. The opening track is a set of bouncy jigs ( “Willie Dear,” “The Wheels of the Train,” and “Teelin Rowdies,” an original tune by Packie) which appear in A Dossan of Heather. A later track showcases a march from Packie, with Duval’s flute floating sweetly above a softly chiming keyboard, followed by a leisurely highland from Packie as well, featuring Steve’s earthy fiddling (and the bowing equivalent of triple-tonguing). Phenigma also has a number of expressive Gaelic songs, accompanied mournfully at times, with sustained fiddle and guitar tremolo; at other times with a harplike keyboard and lyrical flute; at others still, as in a song warning a lover that his enemies are in close pursuit, with an ominous drum beat. There’s also an appealing set of mouth music from Scotland, the second part of which has the joy and energy of an Appalachian stomp.

The standouts for me on this CD, however, are the evocative original tunes by Steve and Duval. The stunning arrangement of Duval’s quite simple Reel St-Liguori puts flute, fiddle, and keyboard in increasingly complex and textured counterpoints, creating a very rich and tenderly moving piece. The title track (6) is a set of introspective, melodically refreshing tunes with the warm blending of flute and fiddle over the sometimes dark harmonies of the guitar. Track 5, my favorite, is a set of waltzes which begins with a graceful tune with a touch of sadness, composed and played by Steve in as warmly G major a setting as G major can get; the second, also composed by Steve, is much more rhythmic and modal, a great contrast; and the final waltz, by Duval, carries the set to a pulsing and soaring finish. The rich sonorities in this set grow from the simple fiddle and keyboard of the first tune to the flute and guitar of the second; and finally to a fuller ensemble with uplifting high harmonies--as if the joy were too great to hold down.

I love this CD. It’s fresh and full of personality, a delight to listen to, even on as many repeat plays as I give it. As I understand it, there are just a few copies left, along with some tapes. Try to get one. You can email Steve to order.
(Brothersteve AT rogermillington.com)

Carol
Last edited by carrie on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I recently bought Dossan of Heather, too. It has a great selection of tunes to help in learning, but the thing that sets it apart from other tunebook/CD combinations (such as L.E. McC, etc) is that the CD is so good that I find myself just playing it on the stereo just for the pleasure of hearing it, like I would any of the best CDs of Irish music. It's just beautiful!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

A lovely review Carol!

I to have had the book and CD for almost two years now and enjoy inmeasurabely in owning it, reading it several times and always wanting to put the CD on and just listen like Blachhawk.

It is one of my all good time feeling CD's and I mix that with Paul Simon's Graceland, when on the stereo using random selection. Just want to dance!

If other tune books could be so brilliant and insightful, it would be a joy to buy every one of them.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Sounds like fantastic stuff, Carol!
Wombat

Re: Two treasures from StevieJ

Post by Wombat »

cskinner wrote:

I love this CD. As I understand it, there are just a few copies left, along with some tapes. Try to get one. You can email Steve to order.
(Brothersteve AT rogermillington.com)

Carol
Just a quick question Carol. Is it just copies of the CD that are in short supply or are copies of the book running out as well?
carrie

Post by carrie »

Wombat,

It's just Phenigma that's in short supply. Several people have written to me since I posted this to say they've seen the books in music stores, so they're apparently available in many places in addition to The Whistle Shop and Mel Bay's.

Carol
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I read about Dossan of Heather on Steve's site a long time ago and added it to my list of "one of these days I'll order that" books/CDs/etc. Carol's post reminded me about it and I spent some time today listening to the clips and re-reading the excerpts from the book.
Years ago I had the privilege of typing my grandmother's many-volumed handwritten journals into a "book" for my extended family. I thought I'd known her well before, but only when I read the little details of her days did I come to appreciate the life she had lived and what a special individual she was.
Carol's comment about why we need old people reminded me of this, and I looked at the photo of that "old man" in her post with new interest. I ordered the book this evening and can't wait to see what I can learn from this "geezer" - about many things.
And to give Carol her due: I am the first to admit that I believe she should be an advertising copy writer. She has a way with words that could convince me to eat asparagus (well, okay, let's not get carried away). Thanks, Carol, for reminding me about this book!
Susan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks Carol; I just ordered.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Nice review, Carol!

I'm going to have to order one when my faire check comes in... :)

Aodhan
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Thanks Carol! I just ordered mine from the Whistleshop.
Lark

Post by Lark »

Wow!, what a review! I couldn’t put it down! (well ok, I did cause the monitor is heavy) This does sound like a very good book, and just got added to the “things to buy” list which is getting longer day by day. Any who, I think it’s interesting that this book included some information about the songs backgrounds and the people behind them too. This really is one of the reasons that I wanted to learn an instrument. Music has an undeniable ability to join us together, and allow people to relate to each other even with out anything in common, but live music, just takes that to another level. The whistle has such a air of simplicity and is so non-threatening, the thought of sharing the experiences of some old men from Donegal with the whistle sounds delightful (yes, yes, the book is moving up the list as we speak) but, come to think of it, anyone’s experience would be nice:-)

This book reminds me of an experience I had past summer. Some friends of mine are apart of the Children of Chernobyl charity, which bring Children from Belarus in the area that got hardest hit be the fallout. The idea is to get them out of that contaminated environment, and in to a healthy one, to give them a fighting chance. Well these friends of mine and others and myself were out to dinner one night along with there child. A eight year old boy named Vladimir (yes, like Dracula:-)) Well everyone wanted to hear a tune, so I pulled out the whistle and began to play. Well Vlad was rather interested, and after examining it closely asked for one of his own (no small feat as he spoke only Russian). After he got his, he began tooting on it and wouldn’t stop until it was taken away for short respites:- ) Now I’m under no illusions that anything I did had a big impact, but a small connection was made:-) and I hope that it’s one that will last:-)

Well having said that, I’m sure there are 2 things burning in our minds:
1) What does Mr. Byrne Say about rolls?:-)
2) What kind of whistle is he playing in that picture?

*Note: I’m rather ill at the moment and a little spaced on cold meds:-) so if the above makes little or no since, or appears as rambling, I apologise.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for that great story, Lark, and thanks Susan for that appreciation of lovingly preserved details. Both stories evoke the same kind of connecting through time and across distance that I feel over and over again in A Dossan of Heather. Mark and Blackhawk, I agree about the CD! My favorites are Captain Taylor's March (the first track) and Home from France (Track 8 ), but there are so many others I enjoy, including the highlands Lilting Ann and The Last Star, which my whistle teacher and I are working on, as I try to nail that triple tonguing. Whenever I play The Last Star I think about what Packie said about it: It's even played yet in Scotland. They used to put two swords on the floor, and they would dance between the swords. It was then taken over to Donegal and played as a highland....My father might have brought it back....He would be lilting it, and everybody would say, "Ah Daddy for God's sake give it a rest!"

On rolls: "To be quite honest, I'm not too keen on this rolling business, because I reckon it takes the flavour out of the tune, especially for the listener....Now that's only my opinion, but I know what I like to listen to. I think really it has to do with the way the notes form in the tune.'

This brings to mind the recent thread in the flute forum on "naked" tunes:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=naked

And as for what whistle Packie is playing in that picture--I'll have to let Steve answer that one.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! :)

Carol
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

:oops: I was very touched to read Carol's review and all the kind comments from readers of Dossan. This kind of reaction makes me feel very glad that (after sitting on the project for 15 years) I finally got the book out. It would never have happened without Jean Duval, who not only prodded me into action but also did all the really hard work of transcribing the tunes.

I'm also very gratified that so many of you enjoy the CD. We had only a shoestring studio budget from the publisher, so it was done very quickly without frills - quite a few one-take tracks on there! We'd have liked to have spent more time on it but there you go. I guess Packie's great tunes carry the show.

Susan and others if you like the oral history aspects of Dossan you would probably enjoy Packie's life story, Recollections of a Donegal Man. This was the first book I did with Packie - details on my website and available from Amazon.com.

Lark, the whistle was made by Jean-François Beaudin of Montreal. At Jean Duval's behest many years ago he started making all-wood whistles very similar to Jon Swayne's, though without the brass tuning slide. He then started using PVC bodies, and that's what you can see on the whistle in the photo. I'm pretty sure this was long before Glenn Schultz and others adopted the practice.

The whistle in the photo was mine but I gave it to Packie because he found it easy to play - the large finger holes giving him a lot of tactile feedback in his arthritic hands. He still has it as far as I know. On all the D-whistle tunes on the Dossan CD Jean is playing the same model of whistle.

And just in case anyone else is confused, as Wombat was, the Phenigma recording is a completely separate project, a CD recorded in 1995. A Dossan of Heather comes as a book/CD set. BTW I have exactly 2 copies of the Phenigma CD left!

Thanks again to Carol and all of you.
Steve
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

The Dossan of Heather is a great book. I've had it for a while and love it. The last slow air of the book, with some Irish title I cannot remember, is drop-dead gorgeous and one of my favorite bits to play. Late at night, when they start putting up the tables at the pub and there's only a few of us left and we've nearly had our fill of tunes, my session buddies are likely to request that I play that one: mmmmmmhhhh.

And it's not the only remarkable and beautiful tune in that collection. You won't find your standard sesison tunes, but there is beauty and authenticity and a lot of Packie's wisdom in the Dossan of Heather.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I had to run yesterday and did not have time to add that I also have the Phenigma record. It was given to me, actually, and I wish people would give me more stuff like that. Phantastic! The music is powerful and esp. moving if you know about Packie and his stuff. I wish I had time to write more; but even if I did, all I could do is to elaborate on the simple fact that you should get this CD/tape.

Thank you, Steve!
/Bloomfield