Some beginner questions for Bamboo flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
theotherleadingbrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Some beginner questions for Bamboo flute.

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

I had been playing guitar and various other stringed instruments for about ten years, but had to give up because my hands were getting too bad. I don’t have carpal tunnel syndrome, but experience aching and twitching in my hands and occasionally in my forearms. After about a year of not playing anything, I started messing about with some whistles I have, and have since developed an interest in learning the flute as well. As long as I take things at a relaxed pace I find it possible to play for reasonable amounts of time and enjoy the progress that I am able to make. I want to eventually get a good, keyless wooden flute, but purchased a cheap bamboo flute to test the waters beforehand. In the near future I may take lessons but for the time being I have a few questions that I will post for anyone kind enough to reply.
- I find that on the bamboo flute I can play something that sounds okay for a minute, and then I am unable to do the same thing five minutes later even though I am using what feels like the exact same technique. Is the bamboo flute more temperamental than a wooden flute or vice-versa; are they both about the same that way? Maybe as a beginner there are some finite differences in the embouchure that I am not sensitized to. If anyone could elaborate on this it would be interesting.
- My bamboo flute is in “EE” and I cover the holes using the second pads of my index and middle fingers, and the first pads of the third fingers, (piper’s grip?). I believe this will take some time to get used to, but am finding that I have to clamp down with more pressure than I can keep up for any length of time comfortably. If I relax the pressure it is harder to get a sound. If I use my finger tips I can get a good tone easily, but it is almost impossible to play anything in that configuration. Is it normal to use a lot of pressure to get proper coverage of the holes or should it only require a light touch? - I have been making sure that the fleshy pads of my fingers are completely covering the holes. –
- Is it normal to have to change the angle of the embouchure according to the pitch of the note being played? I find that I have to raise the angle more towards blowing across the hole as the notes get higher.
That sums it up for the time being. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it any more concise. Any insights would be appreciated. So far I have enjoyed being a part of this group and have learned much from the posts I have read here. I am new to these instruments and to the traditional music they are used in, but as long as my aching, sloth-like hands hold out I’m having a great time.
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

The reason I am jumping in here, not with answers in particular, is that I can so clossly relate to what you are going through. I also started playing the whistle and soon found myself wanting to get into the flute. First of all there are so many cheep bamboo flute makers out there it would realy help to know whose flute you got your hands on. I have seen some that were so pourous that there was no way to seal the tone holes. Having said that there are also guite a few very good one out there for around 50 to 100 dollars that play very well. I`m sure if you have been following the posts in this forum you have heard them mentioned. I am not sure that a bamboo flute is the way to go for a begginer. I went this rout and the frustation was at times overwhelming. The tone holes are generaly very big and the spacing is a stretch. I don`t think the pipers grip is the way to go either. With some effort and constant practice the fingers will soon be able to make the stretch. Its not unlike playing the guitar when you are trying to get that 7th note or 9th if you know what I mean. Some of the less expencive plastic flutes are better to start with. I found the finger spacing on the Almount flute to be very comfortable. Thats in the key of D. I can`t get into the machanics of playing because I am only just discovering them myself but I do find that I don`t change the angle of my air stream as much as I change the firmness of my lips to achieve the higher notes. I`m hoping Jawhawk will jump into this thread with some words of wisdom. The best thing I did for my flute playing arrived in the mail today. I ordered a Tony Dixon wooden flute in rosewood. It is a thing of beauty. And the best thing about it is I can play it. It is a conical bore flute and requires much less air to get a good tone. I would plow myself into uncontiousness playing my bamboo flutes always in a panick thinking I would never get this down before my real flute came. Today I am in heaven. I have a long way to go but there is hope and the addition of a quality instument was the key. I realy like my bamboo flutes and I will be able to play them better now that my practice time will be more enjoyable. So hang in there and make strong lips and when the time comes you will be smiling.

Tom
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hi, what sort of flute have you. Sounds like a cane flute
from India. If so, these are of very mixed quality,
which may explain some of what you are experienceing.
You needn't clamp down on the holes to seal them.
The nature of beginning flute is that embouchure
works one minute and unaccountably fails the next--
this goes on for quite a while. Yes, you may have
to shift your embouchure to get some notes.

My suspicion is that that some of what you
are running into is the flute you are playing, however.
Will you say what it is? Are you willing/
able to buy another flute? Best

P.S. Congratulations on the Dixon rosewood flute, Blackbeer.
will you give us a report?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Blackbeer: I have enjoyed reading your posts over the months ~ Congratulations on getting your new Dixon! and have fun! ~
Mary
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

If I may be so bold, let me suggest that if you decide to buy another flute, you buy one in F. The size is much more manageable, and you'll start making some music more quickly while your hands begin to stretch. Patrick Olwell is the maker of choice for these flutes. I don't know the price off the top of my head, but I'm reasonably sure it's less than $75.

Best of luck!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks for the kind words Mary and I am having fun with this flute. In fact I was infatuated by it. I had to stop myself from playing it this mourning when I remembered how everyone said that you have to break in a wooden flute. I am trying not to play it too much but it is so easy to play and I have struggled so long with my bamboo and plastic flutes that to just be able to start playing songs is a revilation.

Jim I will maybe do a pre-review review in a seperate thread. I am in no way qualified to do a real review of this instument. I am just to much of a begginer. But I`ll do what I can.

Tom
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom - I'm glad to hear you got your rosewood Dixon. Please do post a review as soon as possible!

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

For our man/woman who started the thread, your problems are likely due to being new to the flute and that you're playing a bamboo flute.
It takes a long time to train your embouchure. You think you have it down and, as you said, five minutes later you can't get a bloody note out of the thing. Keep at it and your embouchure will be more reliable. And rolling the flute in and out does flatten and sharpen the pitch.
Also in playing a bamboo flute, you're playing a cylindrical flute which is going to have bigger holes making them harder to cover. The difficulty may be due to porous cane or just to big tone holes.
One solution is to try a higher quality and/or higher pitched bamboo flute as suggested above. This will result in more solid cane and smaller tone holes.
The other option is to look into a conical flute. You may not be ready to commit to a wooden flute but the synthetic options are well worth the money. The main thing is smaller tone holes that you can cover with even the first pads of your fingers. You may even want to convert from pipers' grip to regular flute grip on a conical flute. I play a Dixon polymer which is an excellent and economic flute. The M&E and Seery are pricier but have the added benefits of tuning slides and feet which give your more tonal advantages.
Happy fluting!
Aaron